The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

On 5/19/2023 at 5:36 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

I didn’t even know there was a smaller room at Sheffield Academy. That must be fucking tiny.

Same story when I went to see VLTIMAS at Corporation last year and there were playing to about 50 people

It's a weird room as it's really wide and narrow but it's a good atmosphere in there. Seen Napalm Death and The Haunted in there and it was fairly chaotic.

That small room at Corporation will always have a special place in my heart. It always has a good vibe and feels full even if theres 20 people in it. I've seen some belters in that room- Every Time I Die, 100 Demons, Poison The Well, The Sword, Brutal Truth, Job For A Cowboy, Terror, Cancer, Stampin' Ground, Akercocke off the top of my head. Played in there supporting Conan and thought my eardrums were going to liquefy.

Oh, man. There's more great metalcore about. I listened to the new record by Soulkeeper and it's another great piece of post-Dillinger/ETID math-core ala Vein.fm/Callous Daoboys. The way the record starts with that drum fill and doesn't stop for a second until the very end. It's such a fun listen that wizzes by in no time.

I was gonna post this in the song of the day thread but didn't want to stink it up with metal.. but I'm only just now finding out how good Mad Capsule Markets were outside of "Pulse". I wish more nu-metal was digital hardcore based like the later era of these guys.

No official statement yet but looks as though Slam Dunk was a complete clusterfuck this year, going by the responses:

Hopefully Download's okay next week with it being a sell out too. Even with well established festivals you're only one security/management firm's appointment away from stuff like this it seems. 

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, the replies to that tweet are horrendous. As alluded to in the previous page, it was me who went to Slam Dunk Leeds last year and got their phone nicked near the end of the day amidst a sea of empty phone cases and wallets (exactly how I lost my phone at Slam Dunk Leeds 2015), which pretty much nailed the coffin lid shut for me.

I feel sorry for everyone who gave Slam Dunk another go this year, but I doubt the organisers learn anything from this considering they haven't learnt from anything else. They'll just power on through and people will forgive them when they start announcing bands again for next year.

It's not like there's a similarly sized festival here that deals almost exclusively with that Slam Dunk genre blend to offer any sort of competition either, so Slam Dunk don't have to do fucking anything really as it's not like the customers are gonna say "Fuck this, I'm off to Warped Tour, Taste Of Chaos, or Deconstruction next year". There's a sort of grey area with 2000 Trees, but not a lot. Slam Dunk has the monopoly on this, and they won't budge on anything until the public votes with their wallets.

Car park fuck ups are one thing, but the amount of people saying that they didn't even have their bags checked is unreal. That's unforgivable. 

Also the people saying "Well they can't have oversold the tickets as that's illegal" Sure, that is illegal and something you can't get away with, but selling too many tickets for a site that's too small is exactly what it sounds like happened.

Horror stories of disabled people feeling really unsafe (not surprised if the site is so packed) are beyond the pale as well.

Bunch of fucking clowns. I would imagine Download, Reading etc are run a bit tighter than this shitshow.