The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Saw Calligram and Mastiff last night in Sheffield.

The new Calligram stuff sounded great and this was my first time seeing Mastiff, and it turns out I used to go to college with one of their guitarists. I’ve been listening to them for the last couple of years and had no idea.
Everyone put the effort in despite the horrific attendance. Taking away everyone who was either playing in the bands (Balgurra and Beyst were the local supports) or a girlfriend of someone in the band, I think the final count was 15.

Saw Calligram a couple of months ago and they blew me away, looking forward to catching them again.

4 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Everyone put the effort in despite the horrific attendance. Taking away everyone who was either playing in the bands (Balgurra and Beyst were the local supports) or a girlfriend of someone in the band, I think the final count was 15.

The low attendance thing was a constant for pretty much every metal gig in Newcastle (outside of big bands) until the pandemic. Weirdly after lockdown ended loads more people started coming out and now the underground stuff is either sold out or close to. It's great, means we can finally start getting some good tours rather than having to travel elsewhere.

4 hours ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

The low attendance thing was a constant for pretty much every metal gig in Newcastle (outside of big bands) until the pandemic. Weirdly after lockdown ended loads more people started coming out and now the underground stuff is either sold out or close to. It's great, means we can finally start getting some good tours rather than having to travel elsewhere.

It seems to be things at Sheffield Corporation that are worst for it, at least in my personal experience. I don’t know if it’s just down to poor promotion or what but I saw Spectral Wound in a pub last month that drew better. I felt sorry for everyone have to play to such a pittance of a crowd, but I guess it gives them a chance to iron out the new material before hopefully a larger crowd gets to see/hear it.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Calligram and Mastiff toured together in 2021 and played Sheffield on Halloween. We were on the same bill and it was packed. That was at Record Junkee though which seems to have it's own following.

I'm friends with the guy that promotes at Corp and I genuinely think he's doing a good job of rebuilding that place to what it was in the early to mid-2000s as far as gigs. He's starting to get more of the bigger bands to come back and there's certainly an appetite for shows there as the Black Stone Cherry gig sold out in around a minute. The Crowbar gig there was really busy too. At least he's putting on smaller underground bands.

There's probably a bunch of factors at play and I do wonder if the gig happening the same day as the new Calligram album coming out impacted turn out as it's not had time to reach new ears that may have fancied going to the show. No idea what the rest of the tour has been like attendance-wise so could just be a one off. Some of the best gigs I've ever been to have been with 20 other people in the rowd though. 100 Demons at Corp and Rolo Tomassi at The Cricketers were both brilliant despite the fact no fucker was there.

44 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I'm friends with the guy that promotes at Corp and I genuinely think he's doing a good job of rebuilding that place to what it was in the early to mid-2000s as far as gigs. He's starting to get more of the bigger bands to come back and there's certainly an appetite for shows there as the Black Stone Cherry gig sold out in around a minute. The Crowbar gig there was really busy too. At least he's putting on smaller underground bands.

I didn’t mean for it to sound like I was taking a swipe at who runs the promotion, and as you said there could be other factors at play and I don’t doubt that for a second that they’re not trying.
Im not sure if I agree with your point about it being the same day as the new album though. I’d have thought that “come hear us play some stuff from our brand new album” would be one of the drawing points.

It could just be one of those nights though that for whatever reason it just didn’t work out. They put the effort in for the people that did come and thats all you can ask for really.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

No, didn't take it that way at all. Even if I wasn't mates with him I can still see that some improvement is needed but I'm pretty excited that Corp is seemingly getting back on track with metal gigs, the level of promotion is still leaps ahead of what it has been for the last 10 years or so there.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Mild brag but we've been added as support to Obituary and Pest Control in Sheffield in September. Massively excited to play with a band I've been a fan of since my late teens.

That’s awesome! What is your band called?