The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Does Lux Æterna have one of the all time worst album covers? It's surely got to be up there. The blinding yellow is so brutal that when I try and copy the image in here - and it seems to have happened the version in Bacon's post above too - the forum/my screen seems to actually show mercy and dull the colour a bit. 

They used this terrible band photo as the main tour/promo pic a few years back as well. It was everywhere at the time. It's like they activated a bunch of small body/big head cheats on an old Rare shooter:

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I remember me and Egg saying how a bands album may be your favourite not because of the quality of music but because it takes you back to a point in your life that was joyous. It may have been the first album you heard by a band that grew to be a huge part of your life so it holds a special place in your heart. 

Pretty much this. The things you liked during your first ten years of fandom often end up being your favourite. Same applies with pro wrestling. Most of my favourite matches are from the nineties.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I remember me and Egg saying how a bands album may be your favourite not because of the quality of music but because it takes you back to a point in your life that was joyous. It may have been the first album you heard by a band that grew to be a huge part of your life so it holds a special place in your heart. 

I think that's fair. 

Your favourite band from your childhood (if they're still going) are unlikely to release an album the will be universally loved or seen as your favourite simply because none of us have the time to listen to it over and over, then to fall in love with it like we did back then. 

I always get a kick of how much the "mEtAllIcA dOnT eXiSt aFtEr jUsTiCe" fuckwits kick off when I tell them my favourite album of theirs is Load. The run of Ride The Lightning to the black album are arguably better, potentially one of the best runs of albums ever, but it doesn't mean I want to stick them on in the car and sing along like a dickhead the way I do with The House That Jack Built or Hero Of The Day or Bleeding Me. It's all subjective though. I've got a mate that says St Anger is his favourite and that's fine, aslong as it's not Lulu crack on.

They have such an odd fanbase. Much the same way wrestling or Star Wars or any of the big fandoms do it feels like there's a good portion of folk going "I've hated this band/product/franchise for 25 years and they're shit now but I'll keep buying it to prove how big a fan I am and that my ranting is justified".

On the subject of 72 Seasons the first time I listened to it made me feel like I was 16 again. There's so much life and vibrancy and excitement in those first couple of tracks that I was bouncing around my kitchen listening to it. There aren't many albums that would make me, a full grown adult with a mortgage and responsibilities, forget himself for 10 or so minutes and just be an idiot kid again. It does go downhill from track three or four, picks itself up in the middle, goes back downhill again and then redeems itself with how good the closer is. The Load/ Reload vibes were definitely appreciated and the riffs are great but the naff lyrics let it down. And the artwork is awful. I've not listened to it since but going to give it a blast now to see if it fares better or worse from another listen.

• Paid Members
On 4/30/2023 at 6:37 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

There's just raw emotion there, like they're working some stuff out through that album. The stuff with Lars's drum sound can grate a bit, but there's a harmonic thing he's trying to do with it. It fails miserably, but he's trying something different. I also maintain that if it'd come out when Load came out it would have been heralded as them showing they can hang with Slipknot, Korn etc and they were going "nu metal" based on the general sound and style. Some Kind Of Monster is an interesting movie, hilarious in places.

On 4/30/2023 at 8:23 PM, LCJ said:

For me, St Anger seemed to be a result of Nu Metal being so big at the time and Metallica trying to keep up with the times. They probably saw how grunge killed off the LA Rock scene a decade before (albeit temporarily) and experimented with St Anger to try and “stay relevant”. I didn’t hate the album but it’s definitely not my favourite of theirs.

I really vividly remember an interview they did when they were recording St. Anger, how they were hyping it up as a return to form, and how they had listened to their audience and were making a gritty, heavy, and raw heavy metal album again, that it was going to be back to their roots and nothing like Load or Reload. It was an exercise in them second-guessing their audience, and I think that's all they've been doing ever since (with the exception of Lulu), only they're a little better now at just trying to make stuff that makes you go "oh, Metallica, yeah, remember them?" and go off and listen to one of their better albums instead, rather than trying to ape what others are doing.

If they weren't millionaire dickheads I'd almost feel sorry for them, at least Load, patchy as it was, was them just making the music they want to make. I can't imagine being in my late 50s and being expected to still enjoy playing the kind of music I made when I was 18.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, cobra_gordo said:

I always get a kick of how much the "mEtAllIcA dOnT eXiSt aFtEr jUsTiCe" fuckwits kick off when I tell them my favourite album of theirs is Load. The run of Ride The Lightning to the black album are arguably better, potentially one of the best runs of albums ever, but it doesn't mean I want to stick them on in the car and sing along like a dickhead the way I do with The House That Jack Built or Hero Of The Day or Bleeding Me. It's all subjective though. I've got a mate that says St Anger is his favourite and that's fine, aslong as it's not Lulu crack on.

They have such an odd fanbase. Much the same way wrestling or Star Wars or any of the big fandoms do it feels like there's a good portion of folk going "I've hated this band/product/franchise for 25 years and they're shit now but I'll keep buying it to prove how big a fan I am and that my ranting is justified".

On the subject of 72 Seasons the first time I listened to it made me feel like I was 16 again. There's so much life and vibrancy and excitement in those first couple of tracks that I was bouncing around my kitchen listening to it. There aren't many albums that would make me, a full grown adult with a mortgage and responsibilities, forget himself for 10 or so minutes and just be an idiot kid again. It does go downhill from track three or four, picks itself up in the middle, goes back downhill again and then redeems itself with how good the closer is. The Load/ Reload vibes were definitely appreciated and the riffs are great but the naff lyrics let it down. And the artwork is awful. I've not listened to it since but going to give it a blast now to see if it fares better or worse from another listen.

I like having a sing along to Load, that was the first Metallica album I bought. It's a belter of a rock album. 

• Paid Members

St Anger was the first Metallica album I heard, a mate did me a copy of it (I know, I know what a pair of thieving cunts, I don't know how James Hatfield survived) but I've not listened to it in 20 years and ultimately think it's a bit shit. However beyond Kill 'em all (because it was left in my car) I've not listen to any Metallica album in full in years, they always fall into the same trap with me; a couple of songs I really love and then tons of stuff I'm apathetic about, and while that's less prevenient in the split and ratio pre load it's still very much true. 

They are, to me at least, the perfect greatest hits band, where 1 best of CD would do me perfectly, and it would even have a song or two form St Anger on there. That's why I'm not rushing to listen to the rest of the new album despite really liking lux Æthelflæd, I know I'll most likely listen through once and think "wow, those songs they pushed were great and the rest was also there".

Edited by Tommy!

I'll tell you what's a fucking FABULOUS Metallica album- the first S&M they did with Michael Kamen. Absolutely brilliant album even for those not super familiar with the back catalogue. There's something really cool about hearing those songs with an orchestra. I know people that don't like metal but love that album.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I really vividly remember an interview they did when they were recording St. Anger, how they were hyping it up as a return to form, and how they had listened to their audience and were making a gritty, heavy, and raw heavy metal album again, that it was going to be back to their roots and nothing like Load or Reload. It was an exercise in them second-guessing their audience, and I think that's all they've been doing ever since

With some proper editing and a decent production St Anger could be a very good album. 

Kind of like a metal version of Be here Now. 

Discussing Metallica like his makes me yearn for the good old days of Mr Seven on here kicking off about Death Magnetic. 

If you haven't checked out the new bring me the horizon single you should absolutely change that!!!!!!!

This band are my favorite band in the world and they have saved My life with their music.....however once again this song hits so fucking deep and hard and feels like it's written for me and My life 

In the nicest possible way, that is fucking awful. Genuinely terrible.

The production is so, so bad. Everything is compressed to within an inch of its life and slammed to be so loud it loses all life and dynamics. 

At least they’ll easily fit in on the daytime Radio 1 playlist. 

I don't mind some BMTH, the early stuff is often good, and I enjoyed That's The Spirit, when they "went pop" 

Live they're often hilariously shit (something a bit, dunno, karaoke? about a singer singing along to a backing track of himself) but the band are quite tight to be fair.

I have no right to judge anyone's taste in music, but that is genuinely one of the worst songs I've ever heard, and I've bought albums by bands like Cute Is What We Aim For!!!

Jimmy gif x 1000.

Edited by SuperBacon