The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

5 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I mean I won't argue one second about how much they have changed however I don't know I just absolutely love that song and lyrically it fucking hits so deep and close to home 

There's absolutely no issue with how much they've changed, all bands evolve and change their direction (not in such a cynical way though IMO) but that's just bad music. 

If you like it, that's all that matters though.

4 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Not even going to listen to it, a sad little woman beater doesn't need my clicks.

I'm better news, Poppy has released a cover of Kittie's Spit.

I'd like to see her cover Charlotte by them and have them as the band backing her.

Edited by SuperBacon

Yeah sorry @Kfogg1991, I think you’re in the minority on this one. But hey, if you like it, fucking go for it.

Just about to give Dave Lombardo’s ‘Rites of Percussion’ a listen. I’ve been looking forward to it since it was announced. While I was about guitar in my teens, I’ve really come to appreciate the importance of the percussion side of things in more recent years

On 5/2/2023 at 9:55 AM, cobra_gordo said:

I always get a kick of how much the "mEtAllIcA dOnT eXiSt aFtEr jUsTiCe" fuckwits kick off when I tell them my favourite album of theirs is Load. The run of Ride The Lightning to the black album are arguably better, potentially one of the best runs of albums ever, but it doesn't mean I want to stick them on in the car and sing along like a dickhead the way I do with The House That Jack Built or Hero Of The Day or Bleeding Me. It's all subjective though. I've got a mate that says St Anger is his favourite and that's fine, aslong as it's not Lulu crack on.

They have such an odd fanbase. Much the same way wrestling or Star Wars or any of the big fandoms do it feels like there's a good portion of folk going "I've hated this band/product/franchise for 25 years and they're shit now but I'll keep buying it to prove how big a fan I am and that my ranting is justified".

On the subject of 72 Seasons the first time I listened to it made me feel like I was 16 again. There's so much life and vibrancy and excitement in those first couple of tracks that I was bouncing around my kitchen listening to it. There aren't many albums that would make me, a full grown adult with a mortgage and responsibilities, forget himself for 10 or so minutes and just be an idiot kid again. It does go downhill from track three or four, picks itself up in the middle, goes back downhill again and then redeems itself with how good the closer is. The Load/ Reload vibes were definitely appreciated and the riffs are great but the naff lyrics let it down. And the artwork is awful. I've not listened to it since but going to give it a blast now to see if it fares better or worse from another listen.

I think a lot of this is how I feel about them.

The Star Wars analogy is nailed on in the sense that if you're super into it, it seems standard issue to shit on a certain amount of it. But if you're not super into it you almost have the luxury of just getting to enjoy all the rest of it. 

As someone who is not a massive Metallica fan, and who would probably go with Kill 'Em All or Ride the Lightening if they had to pick a full album, Unforgiven II still makes me smile widest of all because of those corny, nu grunge vocal stylings and in the run up to making myself excited for Download this year, no other Metallica song fills me with as much joy when it kicks in as Enter Sandman. 

The snare sound on St. Anger has become memefied to the point where...I don't know. To each their own - it's still in the bottom tier of Metallica albums - but I think it's definitely sound. It's not bad. 

Not a fan in any meaningful sense, but I caught them at Festivals a couple of times and they did put on a fun show. Another one of those where if you venture beyond the singles you’ll find some stuff that’s not too bad.

I do remember a mate of mine getting well pissy after Kerry King joined them on ‘What We’re All About’, asking why he’s “doing that shit with teeny boppers”. Kerry King would play with a mound of shit if you paid him enough (insert you’re own Slayer jokes here), but Sum 41 have never hidden away from saying how 80s Metal was a huge influence on them, so it will have been a big thing for them to get Kerry involved.

I also really liked the opening scene of the ‘Still Waiting’ video where they’re being rebranded by a Record Label Exec, as I can definitely picture that meeting having happened to either them or someone they know.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

"this isn't new, The Led Zeppelins?". Used to be a regular giggle on Kerrang TV back then. Although I admit to not hearing much since that time I've caught them a few times at festivals and really enjoyed them each time without being an active listener. They were usually good for a laugh in videos and great fun live. Hadn't realised they'd carried on actively and were still relatively active but it's been a good run, hadn't realised it'd been quite that long but that's as much me refusing to accept we're now in 2023 "already"..

Creeper are the bollocks. Having an impromptu blow out on them here again tonight and they're basically just all the best parts of the emo sound distilled into easily digestible little bits of bollocks.

If you've not heard them Salem are like the Net Yaroze punk version of them the same singer uses as an outlet:

Definitely one of my favourite bands in recent years that definitely go in that embarrassing metal category we all have where we think even other moshers will make fun of us for liking somebody. 

A crown that HIM will always wear in my house...but as you were. Any heavy bands people find fucking embarrassing that you think are basically fine? 

Frost Nazi Report!

Joel from Marduk is no longer in the band after nazi saluting during a show in London earlier, like, they flirt with nazism so hard anyway and another one was caught on some mailing list or something. So yeah I'm shocked he's actually gone from the band..

Speaking of Marduk, I recently came across Wardaemon, a Japanese one man Black Metal project, and they were probably the closest band I can think to describe the sound (them or Dark Funeral). He’s just put out his debut album which is well worth your time if you’ve got a spare 30 minutes

https://wardaemon.bandcamp.com/album/black-metal-wardaemons

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Obituary have announced a massive UK tour this morning. Well, no Wales and only one Scotland date but making up for it by playing places like the Rescue Rooms and the bloody Sugar Mill. If they're in the smaller room at Sheffield Academy that'll be a belter.

347117547_645753810900266_31682444983659