The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

On 3/11/2023 at 1:25 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

All the more reason to support your local scene. Mastiff have just announced a show for June 2nd that’s Free Entry or pay what you feel. 
Granted the show is happening in a teeny tiny practice space, but there’s still plenty of shows at grassroots level to support.

I think Battalions have ran shows in that practice room in Hull and -(16)- were due to play there until the tour got cancelled. Definitely somewhere I'd like to see bands like that.

There's such a thriving underground scene in the UK at the moment and if you know which promoters and venues to keep an eye on you'll always get bang for your buck. We've played with Mastiff a couple of times, one was free entry at The Alma in Bolton and the other was a six band show with Calligram headlining and Mastiff as main support that I think was £15 a ticket tops. 

We're playing Ruination Festival in Bradford in May and that's £15 for 14 bands plus another 5 on the Friday pre-show. I'd pay that just for Slomatics.

May be an image of 1 person and text

Birmingham's got a thriving underground hardcore/punk scene right now, finally. It's no longer just the same old crusty faces and gigs seemingly always headlined by UK Subs.

GEL headlined a great show at Centrala on Saturday, an Eastern European art space which has became the hub the these shows.

2 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Avenged Sevenfold released what is probably one of the worst songs I’ve ever heard today. Possibly one of the worst songs ever made actually. 

And here was me thinking Obituary’s ‘The Wrong Time’ was going to be the worst thing I heard all year

Some good metal from this year then, French sludgesters Fange have a new album and I'd say it's ever so slightly more accessible and "commercial" but in the best way. There's some gorgeous clean vocals which caught me off guard but a couple of different vocalists.

Here's a single from it.

18 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

There's a couple of frostnazi adjacent cunts on there but it's a solid lineup, if I go to a black metal festival this year it'll likely be Cosmic Void. Darkspace & Van Buens Ende?!

spacer.png

And who might they be? Just so I know who steer clear of.

Edited by WyattSheepMask