The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

I’m not sure I’ll need to be in the arena area before about 5pm each day 😬 The only bands I know in the small text are Gwar, Deaf Havana and Enola Gay. Any others I need to swot up on to make the early starts worth it?

And Elvana of course.

Edited by Spud

Gojira were marvellous at Nottingham arena last night. The visuals, the lighting, the pyro all set to that music was genuinely beautiful at points. First of these UK dates where they played Toxic Garbage Island too which was a nice treat.

Could have done with it ending 15 minutes sooner because my body was starting to collapse by the end. Oh and some pissed-up fuckwit threw up next to me and splattered my arm, which was nice. I just wish they'd play some deep cuts off From Mars To Sirius instead of the same three songs from that album (World To Come, please, for fucks sake) but that's my only gripe.

• 2 weeks later...

Like with Failure a few weeks ago, add Handsome to the list of 90's alt-rock/metal bands that I never got round to listening until recently and really enjoy.

I'm surprised it took me so long considering they only have the one record, it was produced by Terry Date during his peak '95-'00 King of Nu-Metal Production phase, the singer later forming Jets to Brazil, and they contained members from Helmet, Quicksand and Cro-Mags. It ticks all the boxes for me!

I can really see where early Hundred Reasons got their influence from as its got that mix of Far, Deftones and Helmet, but with pop hooks.

An extremely underrated cult classic in my eyes.

Wasn't expecting a brand new Killing Joke track to slap so hard. That video and lyrics are proper YouTube conspiracy documentary circa mid-2000s grade though. Look at that thumbnail. Read 1984 and ready to crack the matrix!  

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
On 3/6/2023 at 11:59 AM, WyattSheepMask said:

Funeral For A Friend are back again, this time touring Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation 

yScDQOi.jpg

With fees on top, this is £45 a ticket. They can get fucked. At the rate that ticket prices are sky rocketing (thanks Brexit/Russia!), rampant fees are going unchecked (thanks Ticketmaster!) and the secondary markets are going unpoliced, I'll never be going to a gig again. I'd rather put all my financial eggs in one basket and go to festival.

10 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

With fees on top, this is £45 a ticket. They can get fucked. At the rate that ticket prices are sky rocketing (thanks Brexit/Russia!), rampant fees are going unchecked (thanks Ticketmaster!) and the secondary markets are going unpoliced, I'll never be going to a gig again. I'd rather put all my financial eggs in one basket and go to festival.

I think the first time they toured the album it was about £25 a ticket and that came straight off the back of the Chapter & Verse tour which was about £15.

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

All the more reason to support your local scene. Mastiff have just announced a show for June 2nd that’s Free Entry or pay what you feel. 
Granted the show is happening in a teeny tiny practice space, but there’s still plenty of shows at grassroots level to support.

As for FFAF, we’ve had the conversation several times now (probably as recently as 3 weeks ago with the Gojira tour) but it’s a mix of ticket sales & merch being where the money is now (as well as expensive VIP Packages), but also knowing there are people that will pay that amount (see also expensive VIP Packages).

Would I pay that much for something like that? Absolutely not, but there are plenty of people that will

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
On 3/2/2023 at 8:44 PM, wordsfromlee said:

Like with Failure a few weeks ago, add Handsome to the list of 90's alt-rock/metal bands that I never got round to listening until recently and really enjoy.

I'm surprised it took me so long considering they only have the one record, it was produced by Terry Date during his peak '95-'00 King of Nu-Metal Production phase, the singer later forming Jets to Brazil, and they contained members from Helmet, Quicksand and Cro-Mags. It ticks all the boxes for me!

I can really see where early Hundred Reasons got their influence from as its got that mix of Far, Deftones and Helmet, but with pop hooks.

An extremely underrated cult classic in my eyes.

you ain't wrong @wordsfromleebrillant one-and-done record. Loads of great stuff around that Helmet family tree of bands.