The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I did one of there's a couple of years ago down in Great Yarmouth and enjoyed it, although I was in my van so didn't get involved in any accommodation bits and was a cheap weekend with good beer available. However I've found much better much nearer of the same size. 

Then one in Leicester last month which again was really good and only down the road, although one of the two acts I knew did disappear with no explanation I could find. Again I avoided getting involved in accommodation so it was cheap week end visit to the pubs with music on the night. 

They suit me if they are local or somewhere I want to tick the pubs, I know no one on them half the time anyway, but it doesn't supprise me they are a bit iffy to be honest. 

Edited by Tommy!

@Tommy! I do admire the approach you have to festivals/gigs. You rarely know many, if any of the acts playing, go on your own, and just have a time of it.

I think you're fucking mad, but that's only cos I could never do it. It's a great attitude to have and I really respect it.

Edit: The not knowing any acts bit I mean. I go to plenty of gigs on my own.

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members

I've missed PLENTY of bands over the years due to having no one to go with, and I regret it massively, especially now that I'm old, have super-tight financial responsibilities and free time that amounts to a grain of a sand in the fucking Sahara desert. It's something that I'm definitely going to encourage Accident Prone Jr to engage more in.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I do admire the approach you have to festivals/gigs. You rarely know many, if any of the acts playing, go on your own, and just have a time of it.

I think you're fucking mad

I'm sure you're not alone, I'm 100% sure I look a right gooseberry being a big fat uncoordinated lump missing the odd audience participation bit and dressing like I've been frozen in time since 1982, but I look a right gooseberry most of the time anyway so I've little to loose.

4 hours ago, Tommy! said:

I'm sure you're not alone, I'm 100% sure I look a right gooseberry being a big fat uncoordinated lump missing the odd audience participation bit and dressing like I've been frozen in time since 1982, but I look a right gooseberry most of the time anyway so I've little to loose.

This’ll be me at Download this year. Booked a weekend ticket for myself, not camped in years, don’t know anyone else [close] going and only really know the main headliners each day. I’ve been approved for a companion ticket today though so might be able to rope someone into going with me for free/half price.

• Paid Members
On 2/8/2023 at 5:39 PM, King Mal the Glorious said:

I'm amazed Hammerfest/HRH have lasted this long, they've been shady as fuck since day one. I did enjoy the one fest of theirs that I went to though, Doom/Stoner in 2019.

I went to Hammerfest 4 or 5 times when it was still in Wales. We'd go in a decent sized group which made the accomodation cheap and when you got past the weirdness of watching bands on a holiday camp it was always a great weekend with a great vibe. I never had any issues dealing with the booking side of it. We sacked it off when they moved it to Great Yarmouth.

I think they should bring back festivals in holiday camps like the good old days of ATP. I unfortunately never got to go to one but I always thought they were a great idea. 

I remember seeing the Kerrang Weekender advertised back in 2002 and wanted to go so badly as the line up was cracking but I was a bit too young at the time

Bmj45-Advert-Poster-11X8-Kerrang-Weekend

On 2/11/2023 at 12:01 PM, wordsfromlee said:

I think they should bring back festivals in holiday camps like the good old days of ATP. I unfortunately never got to go to one but I always thought they were a great idea. 

I remember seeing the Kerrang Weekender advertised back in 2002 and wanted to go so badly as the line up was cracking but I was a bit too young at the time

Bmj45-Advert-Poster-11X8-Kerrang-Weekend

Fucking hell what a line up there 

36 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

3bkthXO.jpg

I get that merch, live shows and fleecing the marks with VIP Packages is where the money is now, but that’s taking the piss

Fucking hell that is absolutely pathetic. I understand that it's more expensive for bands too tour over here now but those prices are absolutely fucking disgusting 

6 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

3bkthXO.jpg

I get that merch, live shows and fleecing the marks with VIP Packages is where the money is now, but that’s taking the piss

Obviously £40 for a t shirt is a lot of money, but I'm pretty sure most arena-sized bands were charging the best part of £20 for one back in 2003. I'm no economist, but it's probably in line with inflation since then. Plus I'm guessing that a band like Gojira are using ethical and sustainable materials, which are always going to cost more. 

Ultimately, it's the consequences of music being free, for the most part. I genuinely believe that the days of bands at the level of like Napalm Death or an Indie band like Gomez are coming to an end. Most of the younger or niche bands have day jobs now. Of course you'll always get the odd lifer, but most of them will pack it in once they have families to look after, rent to pay etc. 

Either that or I'm a pessimistic cunt, that's talking out of my arse.