The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Jazmin Bean at Download? I'm not sure how the typical Download greebo will take to that, I assume the forum is all "she's not real metal".

This one song alone is at 57 million views?! I remember when it was in the few thousands.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Jazmin Bean at Download? I'm not sure how the typical Download greebo will take to that, I assume the forum is all "she's not real metal".

This one song alone is at 57 million views?! I remember when it was in the few thousands.

Isn't that Ginger Wildheart's daughter? Tried to get into her music but wasn't for me in truth. 

30 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Isn't that Ginger Wildheart's daughter? Tried to get into her music but wasn't for me in truth. 

Yeah, 90's punk Angie Adams is her mum, too. It's definitely made for teenage girls to be fair, I'm sure we're not the target audience but I dig it.

Edited by Merzbow

I lurk on the Download forums in the run up and to be fair there's a massive (relatively) young audience that have been crying out for the festival to move on a bit. I'm sure the patch jacket crowd are having a pisser about it gone woke or whatever, but Metallica headlining two nights is going to draw 80,000 of them like flies to shit regardless. 

Yeah there's definitely a younger fan based line-up there amongst the smaller names, I wouldn't have expected Nova Twins in the past and they're great.

Soul Glo are an interesting one, too, saw them in a pub basement a few months ago and fucking hell the the kids were going mental in the pit for them. A superb modern hardcore act.

• Paid Members

As I'm sure I've shown on here many times I'm not really big into current music, or any music in truth, and I assume I am a smelly knob in the aforementioned "patch jacket crowd" (although that's probably more because it's that or a suit, as in addition to no musical taste I have no fashion sense either) and that's part of why I've found I really enjoy going to music festivals after giving them more of a go the last few years housebound. 

I know I'll enjoy Metallica & slipknot, I quite like what I've heard of ghost and I've heard of, but heard nothing by, about 5 others so I'm pretty much set for a nice surprise somewhere because I know what sort of stuff they put on as a festival, more of less, and I'll come away with something new to like. Much like this year where wargasm blew me away as a total unexpected highlight for example. Knowing I'll just enjoy drinking and listening to the music and getting the odd group I'd never have listened to otherwise catch my ear is enough for me. 

I'll do it looking an old, sad cunt but as I am an old sad cunt that's unavoidable, but I'll spend a few days drinking and listening to music which will be more of less the sort of stuff I like.

Anyway, tl;dr as I seem to say for evey festival I don't know who nearly all of them are, so I'll be back next May asking for any recommend acts when I'm planning the weekend. 

15 hours ago, Tommy! said:

As I'm sure I've shown on here many times I'm not really big into current music, or any music in truth, and I assume I am a smelly knob in the aforementioned "patch jacket crowd" (although that's probably more because it's that or a suit, as in addition to no musical taste I have no fashion sense either) and that's part of why I've found I really enjoy going to music festivals after giving them more of a go the last few years housebound. 

I know I'll enjoy Metallica & slipknot, I quite like what I've heard of ghost and I've heard of, but heard nothing by, about 5 others so I'm pretty much set for a nice surprise somewhere because I know what sort of stuff they put on as a festival, more of less, and I'll come away with something new to like. Much like this year where wargasm blew me away as a total unexpected highlight for example. Knowing I'll just enjoy drinking and listening to the music and getting the odd group I'd never have listened to otherwise catch my ear is enough for me. 

I'll do it looking an old, sad cunt but as I am an old sad cunt that's unavoidable, but I'll spend a few days drinking and listening to music which will be more of less the sort of stuff I like.

Anyway, tl;dr as I seem to say for evey festival I don't know who nearly all of them are, so I'll be back next May asking for any recommend acts when I'm planning the weekend. 

Oh same here. It's a bit like wrestling fandom. Anytime I throw stones at the BO brigade there's an element of glass houses to it. At the end of the day me and the missus have gone to this thing for years on end now because in our own social-awkwardness-breeds-conservatism way it just feels like a wonderfully fun, safe place to lose yourself for a few days and I'm way too old to go to most other festivals because the youth scare me and people asking for pills every five minutes gets annoying. 

Getting the bus from East Midlands airport to the festival site with the rest of the spotty, awkward Irish contingent is one of the most wholesome experiences of my year. The amount of people who do it by themselves always makes me smile. 

Just to be clear as well, I wasn't meaning to sound like I was having a go at anyone that digs the bands on the undercard. I was just saying that there was little there of interest to me personally, I've always tried to be a "like what you like" kind of person and the last thing I'd ever want to do is ruin something for someone else

Love this recent trend of bands doing that mid/late-90s Deftones/Far-style thing. Bleed, Excide - and now I've recently discovered Fleshwater. Their debut came out on Friday and I really like it. Some huge, weighty riffs, some great shoegaze-y vocals. Produced by Kurt Ballou of Converge too which I didn't realise as it's not his normal style of production, but fits the bands sound brilliantly.

spacer.png

The rescheduled (Doom were supposed to be supporting on the postoned 2022 version) Campaign For Musical Destruction tour, I'm guessing it's a 30th anniversary thing since I was at the Queens Hall, Bradford in 1992 for the original version of the tour with Dismember and Obituary. Dropdead instead of Doom makes it much better for me, as much as I love the latter Dropdead don't come over as often these days, although I've seen every UK show they've done 2016, plus one in Stockholm. Haven't seen Napalm Death since 1994 in Manchester, so back to Manchester it is.