The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Whatever happened to Hundred Reasons? They were supposed to be the second coming of sliced bread; tons of coverage in Kerrang, tons of coverage on music channels, 'Ideas...' had mostly glowing reviews up and down the music magazine world, mainstream newspaper coverage, radio play for their singles...and then...nothing. I saw them support New Found Glory in 2004, and didn't think of them for another 15 years. Really odd.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Whatever happened to Hundred Reasons? They were supposed to be the second coming of sliced bread; tons of coverage in Kerrang, tons of coverage on music channels, 'Ideas...' had mostly glowing reviews up and down the music magazine world, mainstream newspaper coverage, radio play for their singles...and then...nothing. I saw them support New Found Glory in 2004, and didn't think of them for another 15 years. Really odd.

They had a decent run, put out 4 records but peaked commercially probably on album 2 after the buzz generated by 'Ideas Above Our Station' then sort of dropped off, audiences dwindled, dropped by labels, member changes, the usual. Hell is For Heroes suffered a similar fate.

These comeback, one off little runs down the line are great though, always a good time.

That said, I went to a "Ideas Above..." reunion show last time around which unbelievaby was 10 years ago now, scary how first time is passing by.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Like many of the media pushed rock bands of that era, they just aren't that good. They were desperate to have a band make it worldwide and pushed so many yet who really blew up?

errr, Lost Prophets? 😕

45 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

They had a decent run, put out 4 records but peaked commercially probably on album 2 after the buzz generated by 'Ideas Above Our Station' then sort of dropped off, audiences dwindled, dropped by labels, member changes, the usual. Hell is For Heroes suffered a similar fate.

These comeback, one off little runs down the line are great though, always a good time.

That said, I went to a "Ideas Above..." reunion show last time around which unbelievaby was 10 years ago now, scary how first time is passing by.

I think the drop-off had already started to happen even before ‘Shatterproof Is Not A Challenge’. They drew a great crowd at Leeds 2002 (and presumably did at Reading too) based off the success of ‘Ideas…’ which had been out for a couple of months by then, but ‘Shatterproof…’ didn’t seem to get anywhere near the same kind of push from the press. By 2004 The Darkness were the big boys of new British rock, and similarly went to shit a couple of years later

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I feel fucking ancient because I saw Hundred Reasons headline the Barrowlands on their debut in 2002 and here they are basically doing nostalgia tours.

Its funny to look back because it felt like the rock media were giving it "this debut album is going to be amazing!" "this band are going to be huge!" for ages while the band were touring and releasing EP's. In reality it couldn't really have been that long of a period of time. It just felt that way as I was in my early teens.

I still listen to Ideas Above Our Station every couple of years. Very nostalgic record for me.

Bringing them up yet again - Riot Act Podcast had a really good episode about the album and the band in general a while back.

Shame that Hill and Remfry seem to have fallen out.

• Paid Members

yeah scenes dying off and the press moving on has a lot do with it.

You're right though and chart positions reflect that, debut made it to number, Shatterproof Is Not a Challenge just made the top 20.

The Darkness was a weird one blowing up though wasn't it? 

The problem with bands like Hundred Reasons for me was that bands like Cave-In and Thursday were doing more exciting stuff around the same time. Also wherever there was a Hundred Reasons there also seemed to be the execrable Million Dead. 

The good thing about Million Dead is that they at least had the good grace to disappear. The bad thing is that they left behind their singer to annoy us with his weird culty fans and posh boy does Billy Bragg cosplay act.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

I feel fucking ancient because I saw Hundred Reasons headline the Barrowlands on their debut in 2002 and here they are basically doing nostalgia tours.

Its funny to look back because it felt like the rock media were giving it "this debut album is going to be amazing!" "this band are going to be huge!" for ages while the band were touring and releasing EP's. In reality it couldn't really have been that long of a period of time. It just felt that way as I was in my early teens.

I still listen to Ideas Above Our Station every couple of years. Very nostalgic record for me.

Bringing them up yet again - Riot Act Podcast had a really good episode about the album and the band in general a while back.

Shame that Hill and Remfry seem to have fallen out.

Riot Act really was great. Have you tried to new show @Ironic Indie Lad? Not the same for me, but i'll give it a chance. I have wondered what Remfry did to piss off Stephen Hill so much though.

We had a very similar relationship as fans of Hundred Reasons by the sound of it. I had the first couple of ep's (still think the first one is some of the best stuff they ever did) before the first album came out and saw them headline and support bands like Boysetsfire around that time.

Edited by Egg Shen

Just now, Egg Shen said:

Riot Act really was great. Have you tried to new show @Ironic Indie Lad? Not the same for me, but i'll give it a chance. I have wondered what Remfry did to piss off Stephen Hill so much though.

We has a very similar relationship as fans of Hundred Reasons by the sound of it. I had the first couple of ep's (still think the first one is some of the best stuff they ever did) before the first album came out and saw them headline and support bands like Boysetsfire around that time.

I listened to the first episode of Trve Cvlt Pop. (Very clumsy title)

I think its alright but I think it will be an occasional listen for me.

Not sure I need a white bald man in his 40s sighing about how he is bored of metal while also assuring me that the new Lizzo album is really good etc. 

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

Ive felt for a while that Hill's basically having a mid-life crisis via podcast.

I feel the same. This seemed to begin around the time he pretended to know about hip hop and bringing up that Dave album as his only point of reference. Strange thing to do.

It's ok to be an aging guy who is mostly into rock and metal.