The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

The interminable eMOTIVe is the worst thing on that list. 

I have a soft spot for big metal band's 'lost years' albums. There's something kind of adorable about a lot of these bands as they reach middle years and beyond putting out albums that are slightly left of field. It was a big thing in the 90s with alternative being the buzzword. Virtual XI is the drizzling shits but I think the X Factor is a pretty decent 'dark' Iron Maiden album. 

Consequently I see the trend as having abated. Dinosaur bands latest releases now stick very closely to their top 2-3 albums and tend to have renewed, huge promotional backing since they've all become as big as ever doing stadium tours etc. 

Seeing Megadeth in the picture there, you just knew it was going to be Risk. And rightfully so because it’s fucking awful.

Virtual XI opens with ‘Futureal’ which a great track, but it quickly falls off a cliff. ‘When Two Worlds Collide’ is probably the best of a bad bunch in terms of the other tracks, but ‘Angel and The Gambler’ and ‘Don’t Look To The Eyes of a Stranger’ both feel as though they never end. Blaze Bayley gets blamed for the poor performance of those albums and just for generally not being Bruce Dickinson, but Steve Harris for some reason gets a free pass despite being the main writer on both albums. 
The label had lost interest in them ever since the launch party for The X Factor, and basically told them “get Bruce back otherwise you’re dropped”

@SuperBacon re Virtual XI Footie, that was basically the idea behind it, as it was a World Cup year. The Publicity tour was the band playing a bunch of 5-a-Side matches

Obviously lists like that are entirely subjective, case & point putting The Glorious Burden at #1 on it. It’s not a good album by any stretch and obviously fuck Jon Schaffer for being a flag shagging, 9/11 exploiting, US Capitol storming gobshite, but it’s not even the worst album on that list, nevermind ever

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Reading the article they make it clear that they aren’t the worst in terms of talent, production budget or even song quality, but more from bands who should know better. We’ve all heard shitloads of metal albums worse that anything on that list. 

8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Reading the article they make it clear that they aren’t the worst in terms of talent, production budget or even song quality, but more from bands who should know better. We’ve all heard shitloads of metal albums worse that anything on that list. 

I can understand why they omitted certain albums as they’re cliche to mention, but  interesting to see them single out Morbid Angel’s Illud Divinum Insanus.

I listened to that a few nights ago as I haven’t listened to it in years and wanted to see if it was as poor as it’s made out to be. At the time I wasn’t exactly on board with it, but I respected them for putting out the album they wanted to make rather than just phoning it in to please the fan base.
I love Morbid Angel, always have done, and David Vincent coming back was a big thing for a lot of people. The longer it took for that album to come out got people thinking “they must really be putting something special together” and not releasing it until it was absolutely right. 
What happened though was that we essentially got two EP’s released together from two acts going in very different directions, one being traditional Morbid Angel, the other being the stuff that David Vincent wanted to do having had a run with his (then) wife in Genitortuers. 
I’m all for bands trying new things, but from the very beginning of that album it’s clear that a lot of compromises had been made. If David Vincent wants try his hand at being some sort of DJ (or Outlaw Country singer as he tried a few years later) then go for it, but keep Morbid Angel’s name off of it. 
The straight up Death Metal songs are actually alright, and Tim Yeung (ex-Hate Eternal and replacing Pete Sandoval) plays really well throughout the whole thing, but they must’ve known that the backlash was going to come with those “industrial” parts. Take those out and you’ve got a fairly decent 35-40minute Morbid Angel album

• Paid Members
On 9/15/2022 at 4:20 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

I can understand why they omitted certain albums as they’re cliche to mention, but  interesting to see them single out Morbid Angel’s Illud Divinum Insanus.

I listened to that a few nights ago as I haven’t listened to it in years and wanted to see if it was as poor as it’s made out to be. At the time I wasn’t exactly on board with it, but I respected them for putting out the album they wanted to make rather than just phoning it in to please the fan base.
I love Morbid Angel, always have done, and David Vincent coming back was a big thing for a lot of people. The longer it took for that album to come out got people thinking “they must really be putting something special together” and not releasing it until it was absolutely right. 
What happened though was that we essentially got two EP’s released together from two acts going in very different directions, one being traditional Morbid Angel, the other being the stuff that David Vincent wanted to do having had a run with his (then) wife in Genitortuers. 
I’m all for bands trying new things, but from the very beginning of that album it’s clear that a lot of compromises had been made. If David Vincent wants try his hand at being some sort of DJ (or Outlaw Country singer as he tried a few years later) then go for it, but keep Morbid Angel’s name off of it. 
The straight up Death Metal songs are actually alright, and Tim Yeung (ex-Hate Eternal and replacing Pete Sandoval) plays really well throughout the whole thing, but they must’ve known that the backlash was going to come with those “industrial” parts. Take those out and you’ve got a fairly decent 35-40minute Morbid Angel album

Highly recommend the episode of the Broken Records podcast that covers that record. Goes into the backstory, the reaction and attempts to re-assess it.

They also cover Risk, Supercharger & Virtual XL from that list. 

Quite surprised to see eMOTIVe in the list. I've never really been A Perfect Circle fan, and have never heard it, but i've never read anything about it being a maligned album.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

On the subject of bands doing something radically different, this made me think of My Dying Bride's 34.788% complete. Utterly bizarre given the rest of their catalogue but I remember that one being pretty interesting. Haven't listened to it in years though, might have to see if it's as surprising as I remember. Also shout out to Amorphis for being the rare example of a band completely changing its style and remaining incredible. 

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

25 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

On the subject of bands doing something radically different, this made me think of My Dying Bride's 34.788% complete. Utterly bizarre given the rest of their uncatalogued but I remember that one being pretty interesting. Haven't listened to it in years though, might have to see if it's as surprising as I remember. Also shout out to Amorphis for being the rare example of a band completely changing its style and remaining incredible. 

Obligatory Ulver comment

• Paid Members

I spoke to soon with the Broken Records recommendation, they announced last night that the main podcast Riot Act has finished, which likely means sister-podcast Broken Records has ended as well. Gutted! my two favorite podcasts gone overnight 😪