The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

6 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

In Flames, Anthrax, Sepultura, Ugly Kid Joe, Whitechapel, Nonpoint, Trollfest, the original Biohazard lineup and Church Of The Cosmic Skull all added to Bloodstock next year.

Was convinced Anthrax would be on the bill with Bloodstock saying the latest announcement would be after their UK tour had finished, they'll be ace on the main stage. It's setting up to be a good lineup.

May be an image of text that says "BLOODSTOCK OPEN AIR 10TH-13THAUGUST2023 10TH-13 AUGUST 2023 PARK, DERBYSHIRE 2023 KILLSWITCH MEEADEIH বলার DevitDriverSEPULTURA SEPULTURA DevDriver OELO 新吧 KNOCKEDLOOSE 崎材焼莊 新拍坊府執棒 PLANET ROCK THE SOPHI ELANCASTER STAGE t 天 W江 &ARDOR atralfest ኢራ KING NONPOINT DIOHAZARD ChurchuCosmic Cosmic UNTOOTHERS Skull 4 DAYS. 4 STAGES 150+ BANDS LIMITED EARLY BIRD TICKETS ONLY £145 FOR FORMORE MORE INFORMATION VISIT WWW.BLOODSTOCK.UK.COM www. ENEUPSUBJECTTOCHANGE TOLICENSE"

Certainly shaping up to be a good one. Sepultura have turned into a great live band these last few years, the original Biohazard in the tent will be great (both of those are playing the Sunday), and In Flames are a band that people have been asking for for years. Wonder who that third headliner will be though.

As the Blink 182 reunion, kind of feel sorry for Matt being kicked to the curb but that new album & tour is going to do insane business. Surprised they’re sticking to indoor arenas, I’d have though a show at MK Dons Stadium or Coventry Arena would’ve been the way like others have in recent years 

sdskqO8.jpg

Edited by WyattSheepMask

4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I'm not a huge Blink fan, but my ex is, and a few years back we saw Mark and Matt play an acoustic set in Kingston, approx 800 capacity. 

Matt's vocals on I Miss You genuinely reduced me to tears, they were so haunting. 

Would've been excellent to see Alkaline Trio support, but Turnstile will fucking do as I'm sure I'll get roped into going.

13 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

sdskqO8.jpg

There's some blatantly obvious gaps for EXTRA SHOW ADDED DUE TO PHENOMENAL DEMAND to be slotted in. I'd hazard a guess it's way more profitable to run these size arenas compared to football stadiums, even if they added on a second or third date at the same venue as they can leave the production on the same place for two or three days and they're probably more likely to sell these venues out compared to running the Ricoh or Milton Keynes Bowl. I do wonder if the My Chemical Romance shows all not being total sell outs despite the fact they hadn't played for years has been a factor in venue choice too.

3 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

There's some blatantly obvious gaps for EXTRA SHOW ADDED DUE TO PHENOMENAL DEMAND to be slotted in. I'd hazard a guess it's way more profitable to run these size arenas compared to football stadiums, even if they added on a second or third date at the same venue as they can leave the production on the same place for two or three days and they're probably more likely to sell these venues out compared to running the Ricoh or Milton Keynes Bowl. I do wonder if the My Chemical Romance shows all not being total sell outs despite the fact they hadn't played for years has been a factor in venue choice too.

I think there were a lot of people holding off those shows in the hope that they would be announced as headlining Download, something which obviously didn’t happen as they’d already had future bookings in place and rescheduled other bookings.

Definitley agree about the “EXTRA DATE ADDED…” routine though, it’s amazing how often the venue just so happened to be available the next night too

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Did you catch Pupil Slicer, too? I saw them earlier in the year and loved them.

Yeah man, I'm pretty sure the only time I've ever heard of Pupil Slicer is you mentioning them here so I made sure to check them out, they were really cool. I'm a proper Liturgy fanboy though so I was just gagging to see them.

Liturgy were amazing but the gig was so tiny, normally that would be the last thing I'd complain about but they're so grandiose I'd love to see what they could do on a bit of a bigger scale. 

• Paid Members

The Darkness: I’m really not a fan. Justin Hawkins makes me itchy and  I see them as a novelty act and nothing more. However, I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed watching Justin at the Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concert as he can obviously sing so I don’t understand why The Darkness produce such shitty music that makes my ears bleed. Him singing other people’s songs are a lot more palatable for some reason.

Blink-182: I’m very excited about the new tour announcement. I loved California and I really like Matt Skiba’s influence. I saw them on the last tour in (just looked it up and, Christ, it doesn’t feel that long ago!) 2017 and was blown away by how good they sounded. But I’m excited about Tom coming back too although I hope it doesn’t mean a return to the bubblegum punk of the ‘90s. I loved California as it felt more grown up but still with a sprinkling of knob gags so we might have a taste of things to come on Friday when ‘Edging’ is released - although the title makes me a little apprehensive.

Iron Maiden: I’m not a huge fan but I know some songs and wouldn’t mind seeing them live. Did I read somewhere though that the tour next year is just about their new album? I’m not arsed about seeing them if that’s all they’re going to play.

BST Hyde Park: I’ve seen Billy Joel and P!nk have been announced (not on the same bill but that would be a hell of a show!) but any other rumours about who else might be added?

Aerosmith: I’m still clinging to the hope that these bastards might reschedule the tour they cancelled “due to Covid” and then promptly announced a Las Vegas residency. 

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Monkee said:

Blink-182: I’m very excited about the new tour announcement. I loved California and I really like Matt Skiba’s influence. I saw them on the last tour in (just looked it up and, Christ, it doesn’t feel that long ago!) 2017 and was blown away by how good they sounded. But I’m excited about Tom coming back too although I hope it doesn’t mean a return to the bubblegum punk of the ‘90s. I loved California as it felt more grown up but still with a sprinkling of knob gags so we might have a taste of things to come on Friday when ‘Edging’ is released - although the title makes me a little apprehensive.

I remember quite liking the record they put with Tom in 2011 which everyone seems to forget happened, that a definite step away from the sound they were known for. Sounds like this new reunion is going for the full nostalgia market though, dick jokes galore.

16 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I remember quite liking the record they put with Tom in 2011 which everyone seems to forget happened, that a definite step away from the sound they were known for. Sounds like this new reunion is going for the full nostalgia market though, dick jokes galore.

Neighbourhoods is a decent album, but there are a million bands who do that type of sound better, so I'm not surprised they're returning to their core sound or whatever you want to call it.

I still think their best album is Dude Ranch. Genuinely think that is a real classic of the genre and just loads of fun.