The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

1 minute ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Mental.

I couldn't understand how or why this was embraced by the NME at the time considering the sort of stuff they were pushing in the 00s.

I just took it as they saw them as almost like a British version of Andrew WK who they seemed to love for ironic reasons.

I look at The Darkness as sort of a rock version of Al Murray's Pub Landlord. Some young people liked them because they were a seemingly ironic pastiche of Queen and stuff that your dad liked. Your dad liked it 'cos he didn't realise they were taking the piss.

I was never a fan but bizarrely can watch Justin Hawkins' YouTube channel for a surprising amount of time.

1 minute ago, BrodyGraham said:

I was never a fan but bizarrely can watch Justin Hawkins' YouTube channel for a surprising amount of time.

I have never watched a Darkness video or listened to any of their music by my own free will.

I have also never watched Hawkins youtube.

This doesnt seem to stop Youtube trying to suggest clips to me constantly. 

Hawkins has just the right  mix of being in on the joke and pretentious enough to push it for all it's worth as a really good joke for me to sort of like him. 

He's mastered the YouTube clickbait title though hasn't he. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

I feel the same. This seemed to begin around the time he pretended to know about hip hop and bringing up that Dave album as his only point of reference. Strange thing to do.

It's ok to be an aging guy who is mostly into rock and metal.

😄 spot on. 

He's clearly most comfortable and does his best work when he's talking about the music he has a deep knowledge of.

He's also clearly a massive wrestling fan but is afraid to admit it. He references it too much to not be, but he prefaces it every time with "I dont like it now, but I used to be into it as a kid".

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Like many of the media pushed rock bands of that era, they just aren't that good. They were desperate to have a band make it worldwide and pushed so many yet who really blew up?

Exactly. As we mentioned before these shit bands take us to a time in our lives that was fun, the music was a shit soundtrack to an enjoyable film. 

I remember NME making out Campag Velocet, Terris, and Ultrasound were the new Madchester type scene about to hit the world. Fuck me they were awful! Well disappointed when I first heard them. Thank fuck for MySpace so we could hear the bands for ourselves before shelling out to hear them!

Edited by Keith Houchen

The Darkness headlined Reading & Leeds in 2004 along with The White Stripes and Green Day. Mental. I think they were the first unsigned band to sell out The Astoria in London too. They had a meteoric rise and and equally fast disappearance.

On the subject of the Riot Act guys - I've recently started listening to Broken Records podcast which I'm enjoying. Whats the deal with their "break up" then? I don't listen to The Riot Act so I'm out of the loop.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

On the subject of the Riot Act guys - I've recently started listening to Broken Records podcast which I'm enjoying. Whats the deal with their "break up" then? I don't listen to The Riot Act so I'm out of the loop.

Don't really know, but it happened really quickly. Remfry announced he was taking time away to sort out some personal issues and the podcast would continue with guest hosts until he returned. Then a few weeks later it ended and that was that. Stephen Hill has basically carried the show on under a different title with a new co-host but he made a pretty scathing statement via their patreon page a few days after which insinuated that something bad had happened but he was not willing to address it. It could simply be a case of them having a disagreement over podcast stuff, but his wording made it sound worse than that.

If you are enjoying Broken Records @wordsfromlee i'd recommend you download the episodes to keep because Hill said the whole Riot Act and Broken Records catalogue is likely to be deleted, which again is a bit weird.

In Flames, Anthrax, Sepultura, Ugly Kid Joe, Whitechapel, Nonpoint, Trollfest, the original Biohazard lineup and Church Of The Cosmic Skull all added to Bloodstock next year.

Was convinced Anthrax would be on the bill with Bloodstock saying the latest announcement would be after their UK tour had finished, they'll be ace on the main stage. It's setting up to be a good lineup.

May be an image of text that says "BLOODSTOCK OPEN AIR 10TH-13THAUGUST2023 10TH-13 AUGUST 2023 PARK, DERBYSHIRE 2023 KILLSWITCH MEEADEIH বলার DevitDriverSEPULTURA SEPULTURA DevDriver OELO 新吧 KNOCKEDLOOSE 崎材焼莊 新拍坊府執棒 PLANET ROCK THE SOPHI ELANCASTER STAGE t 天 W江 &ARDOR atralfest ኢራ KING NONPOINT DIOHAZARD ChurchuCosmic Cosmic UNTOOTHERS Skull 4 DAYS. 4 STAGES 150+ BANDS LIMITED EARLY BIRD TICKETS ONLY £145 FOR FORMORE MORE INFORMATION VISIT WWW.BLOODSTOCK.UK.COM www. ENEUPSUBJECTTOCHANGE TOLICENSE"

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

The Darkness headlined Reading & Leeds in 2004 along with The White Stripes and Green Day. Mental. I think they were the first unsigned band to sell out The Astoria in London too. They had a meteoric rise and and equally fast disappearance.

Me and my mates got tickets to see them at the Wedgewood Rooms in Portsmouth before they were well known. In the time time between us getting them and the gig they went ballistic, so we flogged them on eBay for £140 each (or thereabouts, it was a while ago I can't remember!) Never did see them, can't say I'm that arsed about that.