The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
On 9/3/2022 at 11:33 PM, Egg Shen said:

i keep seeing the phone stealing thing pop up in places, is it really that bad? I only have one experience at Slam Dunk (pre-Pandemic) and had a lovely time.

Yep, might be just a Leeds thing though as it's the only city where it's happened to me. The Slam Dunk Facebook replies were full of it, and I even posted a snarky reply about phones being robbed on their 'Coming soon!' post which got some attention. I'd recommend taking a cheopo burner phone, or investing in some zippy pockets or a decent bum bag, especially if you plan on getting mixed in with the public during sets.

Again, bastards. Utter bastards.

There were reports of pickpocketing being rife during certain bands at Bloodstock, particularly Exodus, Testament and Behemoth. Folk were saying they were using the crowdsurfers as cover, as soon as people put their hands up to help the crowdsurfers and were distracted the thieving bastards were going through their pockets. At least one that I heard of got caught in the act and they knocked the piss out of him. So be mindful of that if you do ever go again or any festival of that size.

• Paid Members

Tank are playing around the corner from the office in Nuneaton next year and it's cheap so I've bought a ticket but from what I can tell that's one of two groups both using the original name.

Anyone know which I've actually paid to see?

I think I prefer South of Heaven, maybe because I had it on cassette first but I also think they mastered a slower but more evil sounding side of commerical thrash with it. I don't recall them ever really sounding like it again even though it was highly praised at the time.

Seasons In The Abyss had some of it but also took a lot from Reign', may be their legit best album.

What a fucking killer opener to that album.

Edited by Merzbow

The Slayer and Slipknot Unholy Alliance tour is still the best gig I've ever been to. Mastodon and Hatebreed as well. Fucking hell.

South Of Heaven is my favourite riff of theirs, but as @Merzbowrightly points out, War Ensemble is killer. It genuinely makes me want to start a fight 😂

Slayer are pretty much about as heavy as I like my metal, and my god, do they do it well.

7 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I was at the Birmingham leg of that tour, the only time I've ever been to an arena show to be honest.

The one I went to was at Hammersmith Apollo*, which seems a bit mad looking back as that's fairly small. IIRC Slipknot headlined (as I think they rotated gig by gig?) and I ended up almost right in front of Jim Root, but not at all squashed.

*Think I've said it on here before but also the site of my worst ever gig, Bob Dylan. Strangulated sounding cunt played nothing I knew and everyone there was an arsehole.