The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

6 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

Thank god there are gatekeepers around to remind them that their musical taste is wrong. 

I mean the problem is that they're often the gatekeepers against anything remotely modern or that dares not to be a very specific kind of metal, you see it all the time with "this isn't real metal" type comments.

Fuck, I like a lot of bands from back then but to only listen to that same stuff? I'd rather kill myself.

Edited by Merzbow

I wasn't saying people shouldn't like them or whatever, I was genuinely asking if it's a thing there's still a demand for. I can't think of anyone I know that still listens to them and you don't even really hear them in rock bars around here nowadays. Their fanbase seems to have moved onto FFDP and the likes now.

I'd go see them if they were playing Power Metal in full.

13 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

I wasn't saying people shouldn't like them or whatever, I was genuinely asking if it's a thing there's still a demand for. I can't think of anyone I know that still listens to them and you don't even really hear them in rock bars around here nowadays. Their fanbase seems to have moved onto FFDP and the likes now.

I'd go see them if they were playing Power Metal in full.

A band who are not only fucking terrible but also have also portrayed some questionable political stances in recent years

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I mean the problem is that they're often the gatekeepers against anything remotely modern or that dares not to be a very specific kind of metal, you see it all the time with "this isn't real metal" type comments.

Fuck, I like a lot of bands from back then but to only listen to that same stuff? I'd rather kill myself.

I think it was @BomberPatwho had a great post ages ago about people who never got past the music they got into during their teenage years, either on purpose or without knowing that the whole world had passed them by. They just got a few Kerrang albums and thought "Yep, that'll do me for the next twenty years".

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

A band who are not only fucking terrible but also have also portrayed some questionable political stances in recent years

Musically, I've known they were shit since I first saw them on a music channel in 2006.

Politically, I've known they were shit since the lead singer got frustrated at the lack of crowd response during their Download 2009 set, so he started calling the audience all sorts of horrendous homophobic slurs.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

I can't think of anyone I know that still listens to them and you don't even really hear them in rock bars around here nowadays. Their fanbase seems to have moved onto FFDP and the likes now.

Nah, i know quite a few people who's metal fandom started and ended in that early-mid 90's era. It's not like they just grew out of that metal phase either like some do, they are still very much in it and still only listen to the same handful of bands. 

I also had a housemate once who literally only listened to Pantera, Cowboys from Hell tattoo on his head and all. Wasn't interested in anything else.

• Paid Members

That reminds me of Jerry Cantrell having Rob Trujillo and Mike Bordin as his backing band for Degradation Trip - at some point, isn't it worth the conversation of where the name value is, and whether a different project might be a better use of their time?

Once upon a time, "Phil Anselmo is doing a band with Zakk Wylde" might have felt like a big deal. "Zakk Wylde reduced to playing in half-arsed Pantera 'reunion'" feels like a waste. 

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

That reminds me of Jerry Cantrell having Rob Trujillo and Mike Bordin as his backing band for Degradation Trip - at some point, isn't it worth the conversation of where the name value is, and whether a different project might be a better use of their time?

The timing of Degredation Trip lent itself to Jerry Cantrell as a solo act. Trujillo was still a year away from joining Metallica and Mike Bordin was coming off a run filling as the drummer for Korn, Faith No More had been finished for a while. Both men playing with Ozzy Osbourne around that time too (with Zakk Wilde coincidentally)

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
On 7/14/2022 at 12:55 PM, Accident Prone said:

Musically, I've known they were shit since I first saw them on a music channel in 2006.

Politically, I've known they were shit since the lead singer got frustrated at the lack of crowd response during their Download 2009 set, so he started calling the audience all sorts of horrendous homophobic slurs.

Download 2009 was the first time I saw them and having read the buzz around them I felt very gatekeeper-y dismissing them as shite after a couple of songs. 

Then the singer started mouthing off. Vindicated.