The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Iā€™m seeing Bad Religion on Saturday. Deciding if I should go all punker than thou and wear my Against The Grain top I got in the early 90s and sneer at young fans like a few older ā€˜punksā€™ do.Ā 

can't imagine there'll being many younger fans at a 2022 Bad Religion show, I think you'll be ok.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Pre-COVID Iā€™d basically stopped going to gigs, out of sheer laziness mostly and a misplaced idea that I was ā€˜too oldā€™. Lockdown showed me life was far too short, so Iā€™m making an effort to go to a couple of shows a month this year.

Amen to that āœŠšŸ» I always try to have a few lined up, age is nothing but a number.

I really wanna goto that Boysetsfire show too! Samiam and Be Well are playing too. Brilliant lineup. Samiam are one of the few bands left that I really want to see, and I haven't seen Boysetsfire since After the Eulogy came out.

Ā 

• Paid Members

I'm gutted its only the London show and there's not a show closer to me but I am gonna try and go.

As for me, other than Bad Religion, i've Nine Inch Nails and Rammstein this month, couple of big ones.

17 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Samiam are one of the few bands left that I really want to see,

Brilliant live. I once saw them with Mclusky and IIRC Spunge at The Garage and it was wicked.

13 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

One of the first bands I played in as a kid was named after a BSF song (Eviction Article)

Belting track. Love those first 3x BSF albums, the first one especially.Ā 

Amon Amarth released a new single today (ā€˜Get In The Ringā€™).

It sounds likeā€¦ well it sounds like modern Amon Amarth. Youā€™re either going to love their schtick or youā€™re not.

I do. Very much. And theyā€™re superb live; itā€™s all dragons and beer and fellas in funny costumes.

11 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Amon Amarth released a new single today (ā€˜Get In The Ringā€™).

It sounds likeā€¦ well it sounds like modern Amon Amarth. Youā€™re either going to love their schtick or youā€™re not.

I do. Very much. And theyā€™re superb live; itā€™s all dragons and beer and fellas in funny costumes.

Confirmed the new album ā€˜The Great Heathen Armyā€™ for August 5th as well. Available in various ā€˜letā€™s see what tat the fans will buyā€™ bundles as well as standard formats

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Ā 

i was on acid when they headlined Bloodstock a few years ago when they had the big fuck off ship on stage, that was an experience.

Edited by Egg Shen

Iā€™m not sure you should be seeing the best show of your life at 35, but Iā€™m struggling to think of any gigs Iā€™ve been to that were better than Bad Religion last night.

Wall to wall anvils of songs, place going absolutely mad. And, thereā€™s something so authentically ā€˜punkā€™ about Greg Graffin; dressed like the professor he is, dad-dancing his way through some of the biggest and best punk bangers of all time.

Su-perb.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:39 PM, Egg Shen said:

can't imagine there'll being many younger fans at a 2022 Bad Religion show, I think you'll be ok.

There was a lovely moment at the gig last night where a bloke and his son were getting their pic taken. They went to the merch stall and the dad had a UK Subs shirt and his son had a Bad Religion one. I thought it was really nice!

Just going to echo what @d-d-d-dAz said above. I had an absolute blast! A really brilliant gig. Jay Bentley being a punk uncle, a punkle if you will, and hadnā€™t seen UK Subs in about 20 years so that was fun too!

Saw Mirna Ray last night in front of around 10 people, I think some all dayer was on elsewhere so they got most of the cool kids unfortunately.

A great little gig tho, noisy, chaotic psychedelic post-punk and it was over by half 9 so an easy trek home.

Oh and the venue put up blood soaked union jacks, nice.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I'm there on my lonesome, first time I'm camping at a bigger festival. What's the jig on Wednesday & Thursday, the site mentions some stand up and what sounds like they put the radio on.Ā 

3 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Download Festival on Thursday for me.Ā 

Really need to look at some Clashfinders for who's actually on the bill as we did it as very spur of the moment, let's get back to a festival and away for a weekend vibe.Ā 

This is the one thatā€™s been doing the rounds -Ā https://clashfinder.com/m/download2020/?user=0w5qa5.cnĀ . Itā€™s based on previous years as Download havenā€™t released the official times yet (should do over the next couple of days), but itā€™s usually pretty accurate.

3 hours ago, Tommy! said:

I'm there on my lonesome, first time I'm camping at a bigger festival. What's the jig on Wednesday & Thursday, the site mentions some stand up and what sounds like they put the radio on.Ā 

Yeah, ropey stand-ups and DJs playing the same songs youā€™ve heard a billion times. Unless youā€™re one of those people who like to be pretend that Download is ā€œhomeā€ or has to be there first, thereā€™s no reason to be there on the Wednesday.Ā I understand why they open it up then, but thereā€™s not enough there to warrant being there an extra dayĀ 

Edited by WyattSheepMask