The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

13 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

bloody hell, was anybody a fan of Symposium back in the 90's? this was my shit when I was 16.

The band are probably a year or so older than me, so when they were around they didn't seem young to me, but look at that picture, they were wee nippers!

Saw them supporting Reef way back on the Rides tour, must have been late 90s. Had some tunes back in the day Fairweather Friend is a banger. 

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, patiirc said:

Saw them supporting Reef way back on the Rides tour, must have been late 90s. Had some tunes back in the day Fairweather Friend is a banger. 

yeh i did too! i went to the Newport show. I remember buying a Symposium beanie at the show 😄 then not quite understanding how everyone loved Reef so much. I went on to quite like Reef, they just didn't do it for a young Egg.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh i did too! i went to the Newport show. I remember buying a Symposium beanie at the show 😄 then not quite understanding how everyone loved Reef so much. I went on to quite like Reef, they just didn't do it for a young Egg.

Reef are an odd one, some hate them, others grow to like them as your good self, and some have been diehards since Naked on the Sony Minidisc ad. They flit between heavy and melodic. 

Take 'Together' off Replenish and then something like 'Levels' off Getaway and then 'Talk To Me' off the Together, best off/5 record 

Revelation is a cracking album too, 'Precious Metal' being very Led Zep inspired. 

Got about a billion free Symposium stickers at that gig. No idea why. 

Caught Drew Dixon recently, loving the bluesy country fusion too 

• Paid Members

The first 2 Reef albums were massive for me at the time. I saw them a load back then. I revisited them relatively recently & 'Glow' definitely isn't the timeless classic I absolutely claimed it was at the time. Feeder's debut is still brilliant though.

Oh, Shit. I fucking love Symposium. Honestly thought they'd be the one band who wouldn't get back together considering some of the ill feeling there was about the split. Glad that time seems to have healed. 

Symposium, 'A', and Idlewild, were my three favourite bands around that time and I had a wide network of friends who loved them too. It was very much a social thing meeting at gigs across the country. 

Even if I don't get to the new shows having their stuff up on Spotify (although no Killing Position is annoying) is a proper bonus.

Also, the news sites are teasing the release of a newly discovered track called Bleach, which I guess is actually Bleach In Your Motherfucking Eye which has been floating about since not long after the split. With that, Killing Position, Whats What, Peshwari Naan and To The Lighthouse (which both went on to become HIFH songs) their next album would have been killer.

Edited by Rockbus2

• Paid Members

Yeh, the band couldn't agree on splits on the money they were earning and it all went tits up. 

The person who uploaded that demo and run that youtube channel Xanthien, sadly passed away a year or two ago, whoever he/she was did an a great job of finding and uploading little gold nuggets of late 90's stuff.

Also found out recently that Symposium's primary songwriter Wojtek Godzisz currently performs as Benny in a pretty popular ABBA tribute act 😄

AbbaGoldWojtek.jpg.f8fba862677a9a9f14e432eff3f25102.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen