The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Yeah Feeder are brilliant. They went down a bit of a "No, take us seriously now" route a lot of those bands did going into the 2000s - which I suspect they would have done anyway had the tragedy with their drummer not befallen them - but the first few albums are still great fun.

Just a Day's just like a high fructose version of one of those guitar songs you'd get on The Bends. One of those desperate exhilaration of ordinary life things that's a fountain of youth as soon as you listen to it. 

I remember them being all over old Gran Turismo games as well. One of the developers was obviously a big fan. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Symposium were fucking awful, lads. One of those band that NME used to champion who were absolutely dire, like Terris, Ultrasound, and Campag Vellocet. Plus at least one of them was a right pro lifer. The aforementioned “A” were shocking too, mention them to anyone of a certain age from Cov and they’ll smile at the memory of a hero shooting an air rifle at them when the left the colly. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Symposium were fucking awful, lads. One of those band that NME used to champion who were absolutely dire, like Terris, Ultrasound, and Campag Vellocet. Plus at least one of them was a right pro lifer. The aforementioned “A” were shocking too, mention them to anyone of a certain age from Cov and they’ll smile at the memory of a hero shooting an air rifle at them when the left the colly. 

Really glad someone had the balls to crash into the Symposium lovefest with the correct opinion. I had to re-listen to a few of their songs to make sure that it wasn't just my hazy memory, and it only confirmed that they were the pits.

Edited by Accident Prone

11 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Really glad someone had the balls to crash into the Symposium lovefest with the correct opinion. I had to re-listen to a few of their songs to make sure that it wasn't just my hazy memory, and it only confirmed that they were the pits.

I get the nostalgia. Some bands can transport you right back to happy times and allow you to revisit great memories and incredible nights out. There were some absolutely awful rock bands like Skin and Little Angels and dross like that but I automatically associate them with upstairs at the Campbell where I had many a great night, made lots of friends, and shagged loads of rock chicks after. 

But let’s not lose sight of how terrible the bands could be. 

That era of British alt rock was mostly fucking awful, but say shit about Queen Adreena and I'll fight everyone.

Going back even further.. I've been listening to a bunch of Grebo recently, from PWEI to Age of Chance and that's the stuff that should have took the spot that Britpop did.

Just now, Merzbow said:

That era of British alt rock was mostly fucking awful, but say shit about Queen Adreena and I'll fight everyone.

Going back even further.. I've been listening to a bunch of Grebo recently, from PWEI to Age of Chance and that's the stuff that should have took the spot that Britpop did.

Those two paragraphs aligned perfectly yesterday as Daisy Chainsaw came up on my Spotify mix!  I’m off to the song of the day thread!

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I get the nostalgia. Some bands can transport you right back to happy times and allow you to revisit great memories and incredible nights out. There were some absolutely awful rock bands like Skin and Little Angels and dross like that but I automatically associate them with upstairs at the Campbell where I had many a great night, made lots of friends, and shagged loads of rock chicks after. 

That's it though isn't, I was 16 when Symposiums mini-album came out, I even remember buying it in Bristol the day my local rugby team made the cup final (as well as a Crocketts single) its just attached to real fond memories for me. 

Whether or not they were shit is besides the point, I still like listening to terrible 90's nu-metal for fuck sake.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I saw Queen Adreena support Incubus in the Astoria on my 18th Birthday. The 2000 or so people in attendence didn't quite know what to make of it.

Edited by Egg Shen

Ithaca and Pupil Slicer are touring together in August, probably the two most exciting British acts in years. They're definitely two of the bands that got me back in to hardcore again, far from the generic macho dudes shouting piss funny gang vocals.