The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

There's a small few bands playing the Doghouse on Wednesday but nothing special. As WyattSheepMask alluded to, it's basically like a nu metal tailgate for 48 hours. Suits me fine though after three years away!

Feels like it'll be a quiet enough year with mostly decent weather. Venom Prison getting 25 minutes whilst Steve Harris's shitty flag shag side project gets double that can feck off but it's Download, what can you do. 

That Clashfinder is accurate now, times have been on the DL site for a few days. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

This is the one that’s been doing the rounds - https://clashfinder.com/m/download2020/?user=0w5qa5.cn . It’s based on previous years as Download haven’t released the official times yet (should do over the next couple of days), but it’s usually pretty accurate.

Yeah, ropey stand-ups and DJs playing the same songs you’ve heard a billion times. Unless you’re one of those people who like to be pretend that Download is “home” or has to be there first, there’s no reason to be there on the Wednesday. I understand why they open it up then, but there’s not enough there to warrant being there an extra day 

I went on the Wednesday in 2005, it was baking hot and it was a long ass slog of a day. Only benefit of going that early is that you'll get the pick of the camping spots.

• Paid Members

Thanks for the info. I'll be heading over Wednesday anyway, it's nice to get away to be honest so even if I just sit in the tent reading a book it's a break to try and sort my head out. 

4 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Thanks for the info. I'll be heading over Wednesday anyway, it's nice to get away to be honest so even if I just sit in the tent reading a book it's a break to try and sort my head out. 

Definitely. We always used to go either Wednesday or Thursday as to be honest, I wanted to get the most out of being off work/being able to drink from 9am etc. I didn't really used to go on holidays, just festivals so it was maximising the time.

Good to have a chat with the others round the camp as well. 

The only thing is its ANOTHER day without a shower (potentially) and that's the only drawback. 

I hope you have a great time. I fucking love Download. 

Mercyful Fate have been playing a new song 'The Jackal of Salzburg' on this run of European dates. The song and the band in general are sounding great. 

Makes me wish I was going to Bloodstock to see them now. Its a shame that the bands I would want to see are spread so thin across the 3 days. 

2 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Being real picky with metal means there's like 5 bands I want to see but they're never on the same day.

Yeah looking at the line up now and its actually even less interesting to my own personal tastes than I remembered.

Zero bands on Saturday I would want to see except Mercyful Fate. They should just move Behemoth, Cattle Decapitation and Life of Agony to the Saturday to cater to me personally.

• Paid Members

Got to Download yesterday, in access camp and loving every minute of it so far. 

If any UKFFers wanna say hi, I'm dressed in a Santa hat and jacket all weekend because I'm always Jolly. It's also something that I've found makes people come and say hi so helps my anxiety around big groups as everyone's super nice. 

11 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Got to Download yesterday, in access camp and loving every minute of it so far. 

If any UKFFers wanna say hi, I'm dressed in a Santa hat and jacket all weekend because I'm always Jolly. It's also something that I've found makes people come and say hi so helps my anxiety around big groups as everyone's super nice. 

Have a great time @Shy Dad

• Paid Members
On 6/10/2022 at 8:35 AM, Shy Dad said:

I'm dressed in a Santa hat and jacket all weekend

Your not the only one.

On an unrelated note some people get quite confrontational when you ask them if they are a shy dad. I'm just thankful @FelatioLips isn't here.