The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Your not the only one.

On an unrelated note some people get quite confrontational when you ask them if they are a shy dad. I'm just thankful @FelatioLips isn't here.

Yeah it was quite mental yesterday when I was approached by 4 other Santa's and 2 Mrs Clauses for a group hug. And yet my mates brother managed to find me based off the description "he's short dresses as Santa, wears glasses and is probably quite drunk". 

Saw Descendents last night.

Really good, but what a strange band really. They’ve got such a peculiar body of work; On the one hand they basically invented the Blink style pop-punk but upwards of 50% of their back catalogue is actually more hardcore than anything else.

Made for a very strange mix of people; pissed up punks with mohawks, straight edge hardcore kids, quite a few men in their 60s.

The real standout of the night for me though was chief support Wonk Unit. Real throwback, crusty DIY punk but with some real tunes to back it up. ‘J’mapelle Alex’ was such a tune.

15 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Wonk Unit have played down my way a bunch of times but i've never caught them.

Do love Descendents, I always thought ALL put out the better records though.

For me, ALL are maybe more consistent but Descendents have better individual songs.

Definitely check out Wonk Unit. Really fun.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Went to the Korn Q&A at Union Chapel in London on Monday. Stunning venue, weird event. I've seen Korn 14 times live so thought it would be cool to see them in a different setting. It was basically an hour long interview with a guy from Kerrang. A couple of interesting stories (mainly from Ray, who is still Poochie to me despite being in the band for 15 years now) but mostly they talked about stuff that is already common knowledge and with zero audience participation which was annoying as I was expecting at least some fan questions.

I managed to get my tape copy of Follow The Leader signed by Head as they went in through the stage door before the show but only just as the security were utter bellends. Head himself seemed really pleased to sign it though and easily came across as the most relaxed and happy to be there when they were on stage. They were on stage for exactly an hour and then got whisked away, ironic considering how much of the interview was dedicated to them saying how much they love the fans. I get Covid makes things riskier and bands can't afford to get sick but a wave or some acknowledgement to the handful of people waiting round the back of the building to try and meet them wouldn't have been too much to ask.

Would I spend 20 something quid to do it again? Highlight of the evening was sitting round the back waiting for the band with my brother necking cans and having a laugh, put it that way.

Saw Sepultura last night at Tower Ballroom in Hull. It’s a venue that’s changed hands and opened/re-opened more times than I care to remember, but this was my first time actually visiting it and it’s a decent venue. Kind of an in between of Nottingham’s Rock City and the various O2 Academys.

Sepultura were great and played about 80minutes. Aside from ‘Corrupted’ off of ‘Roorback’, nothing from ‘Dante’, ‘A-Lex’ or ‘The Mediator Between Head and Hands Must Be The Heart’ (I believe the cool kids are calling it MBHAHBTH) gets a look in, it’s very much “here’s  the new stuff, here’s the classic stuff”

Raging Speedhorn we’re supporting too and they sounded as good as they’ve ever been. Still very no thrills approach from them, but a great way to get the crowd going.

Cage Fight are the opening act, but we arrived in their last 10 minutes so can’t really say much about them.

The show is at The Waterfront in Norwich tonight, and for less than £25 you can’t really go wrong. They are back over here in November if you can’t catch the show tonight.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

The few dates they just did seemed to just fit around the Download show. Sepultura are still great, hopefully i'll get to a date later in the year.

The 'here's the new stuff, here's the classic stuff' way is pretty annoying when you love the stuff in between 😫

Edited by Egg Shen

10 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

The 'here's the new stuff, here's the classic stuff' way is pretty annoying when you love the stuff in between 😫

It is, but I can understand why bands do it. The majority of people come to hear the hits, they fill the place out and are the ones who’ll also buy a T-shirt too

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

It is, but I can understand why bands do it. The majority of people come to hear the hits, they fill the place out and are the ones who’ll also buy a T-shirt too

ahhh course, i get it 100% but unfortunately as you get older and you are still fortunate enough to still get to see the bands you've followed faithfully since being a teenager you encounter it more and more often 😄

I'd say this is probably better suited for this thread rather than the reading one but this book is great and I'd recommend it to every who is a fan of that mid/late-nineties punk/hardcore/emo scene. I'd imagine this would be right up @SuperBacon's street. As well as many others here.

It’s 11 chapters - each one is about a different punk rock band, their transition from independent to major record label and the reception their major label debut record (and the band themselves) got from the fans. 

• Green Day
  • Jawbreaker
  • Jimmy Eat World
  • Blink-182
  • At the Drive-In
  • The Donnas
  • Thursday
  • The Distillers
  • My Chemical Romance
  • Rise Against
  • Against Me!

41B2W38D5pL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sellout-Major-Label-Feeding-Hardcore-1994-2007/dp/0063269147/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

The paperback comes out in December, so stick it on your list for Santa.

56 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I'd say this is probably better suited for this thread rather than the reading one but this book is great and I'd recommend it to every who is a fan of that mid/late-nineties punk/hardcore/emo scene. I'd imagine this would be right up @SuperBacon's street. As well as many others here.

It’s 11 chapters - each one is about a different punk rock band, their transition from independent to major record label and the reception their major label debut record (and the band themselves) got from the fans. 

• Green Day
  • Jawbreaker
  • Jimmy Eat World
  • Blink-182
  • At the Drive-In
  • The Donnas
  • Thursday
  • The Distillers
  • My Chemical Romance
  • Rise Against
  • Against Me!

41B2W38D5pL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sellout-Major-Label-Feeding-Hardcore-1994-2007/dp/0063269147/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

The paperback comes out in December, so stick it on your list for Santa.

Yep, I have it. Just haven't got round to starting it yet.

Glad to hear it's great. I reckon I ought to pick up that Emo Anthology thing as well by the Washed Up Emo dude as that's even MORE up my street. Bloody expensive though.

Edit: forgot to add, theres some decent stuff on his substack.

Edited by SuperBacon

If we're going all Emo in the thread then I'll recommend a great little music podcast, Hide From Time. It's everything from techno to noise to black metal to emo and anything inbetween but there's a couple of specials for Screamo and Sasscore you might like. Esme's a good egg, too.

• Paid Members

I've bought a day ticket for Saturday at bloodstock as its a short joyride away, no nothing of no one (I've heard of merciful fate and liked a very quick Google) so anyone the fine folks here would say are a must see?