The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Hey guys I have a question that maybe you can help me with.

My sister's kids want to read a/some comic books for the first time. They are 4 years old. They're familiar with the big name super heroes and I guess would like to read some stories that involve them - Captain America, Iron Man, Batman, Superman, Spiderman.

Any recommendations for something that will be a good entry point for them?

There are a few magazines - with some comics in - on the newsagents shelves which are a good start. There's a Spider-man one, a Batman one, and my daughter loves the DC Superhero Girls mag.

Past that, the big companies are really bad at doing stuff for kids, but any decent comic book shop should have a kid's section.

58 minutes ago, Linus said:

There are a few magazines - with some comics in - on the newsagents shelves which are a good start. There's a Spider-man one, a Batman one, and my daughter loves the DC Superhero Girls mag.

Past that, the big companies are really bad at doing stuff for kids, but any decent comic book shop should have a kid's section.

I was thinking similar. Outside of what you can easily picked from newsagents/supermarkets, comics shops tend to cater for older readers but I'm sure that they would be able to recommend something suitable. I would have thought Marvel would be more suitable for the age you're looking for, DC again tend to focus more on older readers most of the time. DC did however have Tiny Titans, which was Teen Titans set in elementary school. You can pick them up in collected editions (9 of them in total) and you can get most of them for under £5 each from the New & Used on Amazon

Edited by WyattSheepMask

17 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I was thinking similar. Outside of what you can easily picked from newsagents/supermarkets, comics shops tend to cater for older readers but I'm sure that they would be able to recommend something suitable. I would have thought Marvel would be more suitable for the age you're looking for, DC again tend to focus more on older readers most of the time. DC did however have Tiny Titans, which was Teen Titans set in elementary school. You can pick them up in collected editions (9 of them in total) and you can get most of them for under £5 each from the New & Used on Amazon

This. I remember one time going to a comic shop as i wanted to pick up my young nephews a comic or 2 for Christmas.

My (now) wife came with me and picked up a Wolverine and thought they may like it as the origins movie had just cone out.

I flicked through the booked and showed her a page of old Wolvers ripping some dudes guts out with his claws.

My wife spend the next 30 minutes flicking through random comics and marvelling how violent some of the panels are (Not that im complaining mind).

In the end picked up a Ultimate Spiderman Vol 1 which i felt had the right balance between good a story without going too risque.

• Paid Members
On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:52 PM, SpursRiot2012 said:

Sorry, Chest, I can't help as I don't really read Superhero stuff. 

Reason for my post is to say I picked up the first Sandman TPB, Lucifer TPB and Fables TPB 2. Sandman is great. And from what I read, this first TPB is like the weakest of them all. I continue to enjoy Fables a lot. Lucifer is a bit meh so far but still not bad. I doubt I'll pick up any more Lucifer TPB until I've finished Sandman and Fables. 

Yeah, Sandman takes a few issues to find its feet - early on, it's still trying to keep one foot in the DC Universe, and hasn't quite found out what it is yet. But it doesn't take long to get there, and by the time it does, it's probably the best comic series ever written, in my opinion. My first Sandman TPB was actually A Game Of You, which barely involves the Sandman character at all, yet remains an incredibly strong story and feels part of that universe, because of how well Gaiman had fleshed the whole world out by that point.

On comics for kids, Marvel Adventures is more tailored for young readers, though at that age I would look for something like the Marvel Heroes magazine (I think that's still around), rather than a full-on comic book. It's a mixture of a few comic strips, activities and puzzles, usually has a free gift. Your bog-standard kids' mag, with a Marvel window-dressing, really.

Do they like Star Wars @Chest Rockwell? I bought my nephews some of the Star Wars Jedi Academy books (they are done in comic form) and they loved them. They do them for various ages, my nephews are 8 and one has learning difficulties so I got them a mixture of ages.

The Bedtime for Batman book is pretty cool too but more for ages 2 - 4 (not really a comic I guess) but has proved popular

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members

Are there any "scribd" like, all you can read apps or sites that do comics? I have tried the big magazine apps and while they have some comics, the selection is light.

I'm really wanting to try and get back into The Walking Dead and try a few more titles that are aimed at the older end, but prefer these subscription services to buying individual issues if possible....

• Moderators
7 hours ago, deathrey said:

Do they like Star Wars @Chest Rockwell? I bought my nephews some of the Star Wars Jedi Academy books (they are done in comic form) and they loved them. They do them for various ages, my nephews are 8 and one has learning difficulties so I got them a mixture of ages.

The Bedtime for Batman boom is pretty cool too but more for ages 2 - 4 (not really a coming I guess) but has proved popular

They don't really know star wars, but that could be a cool way to get them into it! I'll check them out.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Merzbow said:

ComiXology Unlimited is what you're after but you'll have to find a way to get around the fact it's only out in the US.

Is it? It's frequently on offer on the mobile app I have on my tablet.

• 4 weeks later...