The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

Has anyone been getting the fortnightly Transformers UK hardbacks? They are costly at a tenner but the four I'm very bought have been good to fantastic reads.

Roll on the complete Time Wars in hardback form.

I've recently signed up for the subscription service. Waiting for the third issue to be delivered. Picked up the first two from WH Smiths. Absolute bargain at the introductory prices. Target 2006, Book 1,was £1.99!

Still good value even at full price. Plus you get free gifts if you subscribe. A little concerned that the next issue hasn't arrived yet. Especially as I have seen it in some shops.I highly recommend picking up the first two if they are still available at the shops. The quality is impressive.

http://www.transformerscollection.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA8orFBRCEpODivaOft_EBEiQAy3mlfQGy9dd8G7qHFbdBowSyuE7NT5bQ1s3GS2iLJEaIKJQaAi758P8HAQ

World War Hulk is fun. To whoever was asking about Hulk books.

Number 4 came out in the stores last Wednesday. I'd get onto them with regards to the delivery as 5 is out on a week tomorrow. And 4 is really really good.

I mentioned in the stupid purchases thread that I am back reading comics on a regular basis (well have been for a couple of years with various graphic novels), focusing on a couple of series, the main one being the Power Rangers series by Boom! which has been a fantastic read thus far, the crux of the story is a new modern take on the events post Green With Evil from the original TV show but introducing new elements to the mythos. It span off into a 6 issue side arc based around the original Pink ranger Kimberley in a new timeline after she leaves the show to be a pro gymnast in season 3. It's now gone even further as Boom! have partnered with DC for a six issue crossover with the Justice League, the second issue of which came out last week

Boom! have also got a WWE comic series out, the story of which is set after the Rollins turn on the Shield, started in a one shot called Then, Now and Forever which had a back story to the turn, into him winning MITB and cashing in at Mania in issue one, issue two comes out tomorrow

• Paid Members

Can anyone recommend any decent Incredible Hulk reading.

I've had a bit of a search, and aside from the occastionally mention of Hulk:Gray everything just seems to be people with a rager for Planet Hulk

Check out some of Peter David's bigger story arcs (He wrote Hulk for over 10 years and did the majority of the work on it being treated more like schizophrenia plus more into Banner's childhood) 

Avoid any of the rubbish 90s storylines were Banner has full control over the hulk and is perma-hulk with a lovely ponytail. 

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Quick heads up for digital readers, comixology have a 60% off flash sale today on Ninja Turtles with the code TURTLEPOWER. I always fancied reading the original run. Bought the first 5 tpb for £10.20 combined. Absolute bargain that.

Read Batman vol 7 Endgame this morning. Cracking read I thought. I've had it for ages but have been busy with a bunch of other characters. Every now and then it feels great to get back to Bats. Enjoyed it much more than Death of the Family.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members
On 14/02/2017 at 11:02 PM, BigJag said:

They say the first delivery should arrive no more than 28 days after placing the order. I should receive it no later than Feb 25th.

Been receiving them quite regularly now. Delivery is a bit erratic. They do arrive though.

Have you got the corrected version of the Target: 2006 issue? I've received it as a subscriber. It corrects a printing error on the spine. Impressed by that part of the service.

Which version would be more desirable for a collector? I'm fortunate to have both.

The version with the printing error was printed in much larger numbers and sold at an introductory price of £1.99.

The corrected version is essentially free and I'm guessing printed in lower volume.

I can highly recommend these. They are of an impressive quality.  Good fun to read too.

Edited by BigJag

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Think I mentioned in here before that I've been collecting graphic novels for my bookcase now that the majority of my books are on Kindle. I've completed my Preacher collection and have nearly finished Transmetropolitan. Am looking at what to start on next and Astro City caught my eye. Any fans of this series?

• Paid Members

Ended up picking up Fables Vol 1 and Descender Vol 1. Descender is a beautiful book. 

I now have a 40 quid amazon gift card balance from a refund so I'm placing some more orders tonight. 

Anyone have any thoughts on Hacktivist and The Fall? Also still interested in opinions on Astro City. 

Also, what is Green Lantern: Rebirth like? I heard it's a good place to start for GL noobs. And finally, where do I start with Deadpool?

• Paid Members

Rebirth is OK for Green Lantern stuff, but it isn't where I'd personally start. Although admittedly that's because I prefer Kyle Rayner and John Stewart to Hal Jordan. 

Green Lantern/Green Arrow's not bad, if a bit preachy. "Brother's Keeper" is another good one, if you don't mind slipping straight into a Kyle Rayner storyline.

It's a bit difficult to name good ones for beginners, as I enjoy most of the ones that already assume you know the back story. "Mosaic", a John Stewart arc, is brilliant. "Traitor" is good too, and I really enjoyed "Blackest Night".

Y'know what? I say "fuck it"; just read the "Blackest Night" arc in its entirety, including cross-overs. It's vast and complex, and yet it actually explains clearly a shit-ton about the DC universe and its emotion/colour/power spectrum.

And as a side recommendation, a propos of nothing in relation to what you asked: Grant Morrison's run of Doom Patrol. Fucking brilliant. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Thanks, Carbomb. Will take a look at those books.

You all might already know this but I just realised today and thought I'd pass it on:

You can merge comics you buy on Kindle with ComiXology. With Amazon Prime, there are a number of books you can read for free and then send to your ComiXology app. You can also read a lot more for free with Kindle Unlimited. I actually cancelled Kindle Unlimited because although £7.99 a month for many thousands of books sounds reasonable, I actually found the selection to be severely lacking. While I did find some good reads on Unlimited, it just wasn't worth the cost.

Anyway, point is I've found a bunch of books I would probably not have bothered buying physical copies of (as I buy all my comics and graphic novels in physical form) but wouldn't mind reading for free as a Prime member and can now read them on the ComiXology app on my iPad because reading comics on my Kindle is shit.

Edited by SpursRiot2012