The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

A new Deadpool series has been launched this week (I think thats right) which is a sequel to the Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe story arc. Came across the first issue purely by chance when I was in one of the two comic stores in Liverpool City Centre after work yesterday and picked it up as I had the graphic novel of the original arc and loved it. Looks to be as batcrap crazy as that storyline with a shock reveal as to who is behind the manipulation of the 'Merc with a mouth this time round

• Moderators

I think Fables is fantastic up until the end of the big war, then it loses its direction. But that's like at least ten books in.

Another one that I read around the same time that I really enjoyed was The Unwritten.

The Invisibles by Grant Morrison is ace.

These are all ones I think you'd enjoy Spurs, that are lengthy enough to really get your teeth into. I also really like Stray Bullets, but that's a very different style so you may not like that.

• Paid Members

Cheers. The Invisibles and Stray Bullets are already on my wish list, but I'll add the other two. 

I've read Fables 1, Planetary 1, The Boys 1, Hacktivist and Descender 1 over the past week. I enjoyed them all, although the actual writing in Descender wasn't my favourite. So I'll probably drop that for now but will certainly be continuing each month by picking up the next TP of the others. The Boys especially I loved. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think there's a real talent to writing such coarse stuff without coming across like some teenager who just learned how to swear. Ennis is great at that. 

I also read the first two TP of DMZ recently. It was OK. Didn't really grab me but I might re-read them and try again. 

• Paid Members

The Invisibles is tremendous. I actually came to them through Doom Patrol - I know I've already recommended it, but if you're looking at The Invisibles, I can safely say you'll like Doom Patrol as it's in a similar vein (but set in the DC universe).

• Paid Members

Sorry, just to go back to The Boys: Forbidden Planet has a sale online where you can issues 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7 for 2.99 each. Issue 3 isn't on there for some reason but it beats 10 quid a pop off amazon. 

Edit: I'm talking about the TPBs. 

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Really, really recommend Irredeemable. It's basically an allegory for if Superman snapped and just went a bit crazy. The opening pages are him killing the Batman equivalent. Bloody great stuff.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irredeemable

I saw the cover in Forbidden Planet, but thought I'd get it in Comixology. Sounds great. I guess one could say it's a greatly expanded, more detailed development of the Superman Prime story.

• Paid Members

I haven’t read a comic properly for a while (tended to just get collected graphic novels), but can someone tell me what the hell’s going on with DC?

I know they did the New 52 thing a few years ago where they rebooted all the titles and started from #1 again. But what’s with the ‘Rebirth’ branding all the comics have currently? Have DC since done another reboot of their comics line? 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

I haven’t read a comic properly for a while (tended to just get collected graphic novels), but can someone tell me what the hell’s going on with DC?

I know they did the New 52 thing a few years ago where they rebooted all the titles and started from #1 again. But what’s with the ‘Rebirth’ branding all the comics have currently? Have DC since done another reboot of their comics line? 

Yes, but there's a very good reason for it. Someone's been meddling...