The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

There are a few other comics threads, but this can be a nice general one for what's going on, peoples' thoughts about whatever stuff they're reading at the moment, and so on. I'm just finishing the run of the Beast on "Amazing Tales" from Marvel. It's the story of how he went from normal man Hank McCoy to hairy bugger Hank McCoy, and is pretty cool. There's a surprising amount of ripping on DC in one issue, where the Beast and Juggernaut crash through a Halloween carnival, with kids dressed in Superman and Batman outfits. I like how Hank pops up at the beginning and end of his last issue to say hello, be a bit annoyed that they're ending his run on the comic and that he'll see us soon. Fun story, well told. I am downloading a random week's comic output from June, and will be getting up to date with whatever's being released as well as just old stuff, so I can talk new comics and stuff. So what's interesting you fellas and ladies? Tell all.

• Moderators

I know literally nothing of the origin story of Beast, but I've always liked the character.. I think I could quite enjoy that. I do like stories that are generally a bit of lighthearted fun, too.... which brings me on to All-Star Batman and Robin. Yeah. I mentioned it in the other comic thread we had. But I've finished it now. I really enjoyed it, and thought it was damn funny. I like the version of Batman in this.. I didn't really like Robin, but who does?Mostly I wanted to come back to this though, because it has been catching a lot of flack.... I've come to the conclusion that people who didn't like it are just way too precious about Batman and what he should be. Either that or it just wasn't their kinda humour. Which I don't really get, but I think is a more acceptable reason.

I am Reading detective comics i love all the paul dini issues my two favourites are the xmas special from a couple of year ago called sleigh ride which had joker kidnapping robin and it showed how crazy the joker is and a story called the wonderland gang featuring the mad hatter and tweedle dum and tweedle dee. The latest arc is hush wanting revenge on batman and hes has taken over an abandoned hospital and filled it with some creepy nurses and other hospital staff i liked the first issue so cant wait to see what happens next.Batman Confidential is ok at the moment it features the first meeting between batgirl and catwoman as batgirl tries to recover her fathers notebook from catwoman but i cant wait till october for that months issue heres the synopsis "What happened the first time Batman hauled The Joker into the Gotham City Police Department? Find out here in part one of the time-lost 4-part arc titled "Do You Understand These Rights?" as the ramifications of the

Edited by Lucha fan

I can not recommend The Boys enough. Seriously, buy it! it's fantastic. The most recent isuue had an alternative 9/11 scenario when his group of arrogant superheroes try to stop one of the planes. Very funny. Plus any comic which kills a character by putting a bomb in her vibrator is truly unique.

I can not recommend The Boys enough. Seriously, buy it! it's fantastic. The most recent isuue had an alternative 9/11 scenario when his group of arrogant superheroes try to stop one of the planes. Very funny. Plus any comic which kills a character by putting a bomb in her vibrator is truly unique.

I've only read the first issue but it seemed like it was taking delight in being as offensive as possible. I didn't get why it was so well regarded, but I'll certainly stick with it.

I gave up waiting for Play to deliver Y:The Last Man vol 10 and got it from Forbidden Planet. It was a great end to a fantastic series. Funny, moving and superbly written and illustrated. Certain events in vol 10 that spanned just a few pages had my emotions swap from happy to sad in a way that I only dream films could achieve.

Just finished Jack of Fables vol 3 which, unsurprisingly, is the spin off series to the amazingly great Fables series and maintains the high quality level in all areas. I am just about to start the Fables prequel 1001 Nights of Snowfall

I am very tempted to read The Boys Garth Ennis being involved is enough of a selling point for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I've been reading HULK. The last two issues. Enjoying it. However there are two Hulk's a red one and the one we know and love. Some weird experiment created the red one. He's going around killing and hurting B-level heroes. Even broke hulk's arm. Can someone bring me up to speed on the back story please. I've just read the issue when Red Hulk slaps Thor around.Thanks in advance.

• Paid Members

I started Transmetropolition the other month and currently up to volume 4 while waiting for amazon to deliver volume 5 (and taking fucking long to do so). It's really great stuff, original and interesting ideas along with a hysterically insane main character.

.. which brings me on to All-Star Batman and Robin. Yeah. I mentioned it in the other comic thread we had. But I've finished it now. I really enjoyed it, and thought it was damn funny.

I don't think requiring someone to write a character in the way he's been viewed by common consensus over 60 years of existance counts as being precious. If Frank Miller wanted to write about a murdering, misoginistic, child abusing vigilante, he's more than welcome to. Instead he wrote an unrecognisable Batman (And Robin, and Hal Jordan. And Black Canary and Wonder Woman in ways that say a lot about his attitude to women), and I'm still not convinced it was supposed to be funny and ironic. It was just shit. And it shipped once every 8 months.

I can not recommend The Boys enough.

Some of The Boys has been OK, but it never ceases to amaze me how much vitriol Ennis has for Super Heroes. OK, we read Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe, and one or two of us read The Pro, as well as numerous other things. We get that you don't like Superheroes. Change the fucking record now, eh? I mean, the constant digs at Super Heroes as being childish, considering the adolescent wish fulfilment of a lot of things he writes, coupled with his constant knocks on comics fans (his own audience), points to a man deeply conflicted about what he does for a living. The Boys is funny, but what is Ennis trying to say? Super Heroes wouldn't work in real life, because the real world is too complicated? Well, yeah. No shit. Who thinks otherwise? The latest issue was just ridiculous (and might be the last one I read) - Superheroes would have made a real mess of September 11th. Well shit, that really made me think about whatever the hell point you think tyou're actually making, Garth. The other annoying thing about The Boys is Ennis again going to his fetish with tough, military guys - "Gawd bless our boys in the SAS!" It's annoying to me, as Ennis wrote two of my favourite series' of all time (Preacher and Hitman), where he manages to restrain all these problems, but good god is he annoying at times.

I imagine there are other Frank Miller fans on here. Any great stuff he

• Moderators

I started Transmetropolition the other month and currently up to volume 4 while waiting for amazon to deliver volume 5 (and taking fucking long to do so). It's really great stuff, original and interesting ideas along with a hysterically insane main character.

Transmet! Fucking wall to wall awesome book. One of my most re-read series ever, and Spider is, for me, top ten of all time as a character in the medium.
You read Doktor Sleepless?It's on my reading list at the minute; I've heard good things...

Transmet! Fucking wall to wall awesome book. One of my most re-read series ever, and Spider is, for me, top ten of all time as a character in the medium.
You read Doktor Sleepless?It's on my reading list at the minute; I've heard good things...
Oh yes, very much so. It's very Warren Ellis, so that'll turn a bunch of people off straight away. The usual ingredients then, transhumanism, dystopian science fiction, swearing and grisly violence, and the very Warren Ellis "voice" for the characters. But if you generally like Ellis, then I think this is shaping up to be the most fantastic thing he's written since Transmet. Lots of great ideas floating around in the 'world' of the book, and the plot is baffling and provocative so far. New issue (8) is out this week.