The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Moderators

Another thing I had glossed over but would definitely cause HUGE riots and trouble if they made a Preacher TV series is when Jesse literally spits in God's face. If you stop and think of a TV show doing that...it's fucking insane. Really really fucking insane. HBO gets away with alot of crazy shit but I don't know how they could get away with that.

Once the show had got started though, you'd think that no matter the protests, it would have just continued. Assuming it had gotten that far along, and assuming it had high enough ratings to sustain it to that point, the stuff that would have caused the most trouble would have been a fair ways in. We were only a change of network power away from actually having the first season go to air, and HBO knew what the material was, they knew the full story, and were obviously willing to go with it as written.I genuinely believe we'll see a Preacher adaptation at some point, hopefully as a mini-series (although it's purely wishful thinking on my part, as that's never happened before) and not a film. If it does happen, it'll absolutely be the most controversial thing of all time for reasons gone over in this thread.

I'm currently thinking about buying Lost Boys: Reign of Frogs which serves as a bridge between the original movie and it's shitty-but-strangely-likeable sequel. Just wondering if anyone else on here has it and if it's worth purchasing?

Luv x

To be honest, i don't think it would have translated well to television. It's a shame it was cancelled, but there are many different factors to Preacher which would have had to been cut (Violence, amputation, sex scenes, nudity, god bothering, blasemphy, etc.) and then it would have lost some of it's 'hard life' feel which makes it what it is.Anyway, this week i finally found a copy a Deadpool! :) I brought 'The Circle Chase and Sins Of The Past' which i think was the first stories published in his own comic. It's very good and a fun read, but i am a big fan of the Deadpool and Cable comics. Not for Cable (he's one of the shittest characters ever) but deadpool makes him fun (I've got Good intentions which is around the Civil War). It's very funny, Deadpool is the man who knows he's in a comic and lets veryone know he knows. Hooray for Deadpool

I haven't read "Cerebus" yet, but in my May collection I found the first issue of Dave Sims' new comic, "Glamourpuss". I started reading, and the first 8 pages are all about Dave Sims and how exciting he is, how he just wants to draw cute teenage girls since Cerebus is finished. Leaving aside his misogyny ( http://www.tcj.com/263/e_stephen.html , if you want to read more about it) it's a boring story. The drawings are alright, in a tracing-an-old-fashion-magazine sort of way, but it's horrible.

Edited by Famous Mortimer

Has anybody read Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men from a few years ago?

Think i might be wrong but was that when it all changed? The Beast mutated more and they brought in Emma Frost and a whole bunch of new children while Charles Xavier was possessed and stuff? Cause if it is, i read a couple and had to put it down. No disrespect but that X-Men has to be the worse thing i read in a very long time.

• Paid Members

Finally got round to starting Preacher after seeing some of the discussion on here, and god damn, it's awesome so far. About 6 issues in, but I've been completly sucked in by the characters and story.Also found a torrent of about 100 or so issues of Wizard magazine, dating right back to the first few issues (a big chunk are still missing though), so I'm gonna start studying them for comics I havn't read yet.I've also finally caught up with Ultimate Spider-Man since I stopped reading about a year or two ago, and it's such a breath of fresh air after how low Amazing Spider-Man has sunk. There was one moment in 117 (I think, I just dont want to spoil it for anyone) that actually put a lump in my throat. Seriously good writing, fun as ever.

Edited by CoreyVandal

Though Fox has no plans for a major overhaul, the studio has scheduled a strategy meeting to assess the status of its superheroes, a group sorely missed this summer. On the agenda, Fox will mull the possibility of more "X-Men" spinoffs, including a young-X-Men project as well as "Deadpool," based on a character played by Ryan Reynolds in "Wolverine." The studio is even considering reviving the "Daredevil" property.

Interested to see a reboot of the X-men series as such, and also interested to see what they do with Deadpool, after hearing good things about Reynolds in Wolverine. Plus am I the only one that really didnt mind the first Daredevil THAT much, sure it was never a masterpiece, but still thought it was enjoyable.

• Paid Members

I finished Transmetropolitan today. It was really fucking good with a great ending. Highly recommend to those of you who haven't read it already. I kind of wish they could have xplored his sidekicks personalities a bit more but fuck it, really good stuff.

*Raves about Transmet for the tenth time in this thread*On a Warren Ellis note, issue 8 of Doktor Sleepless came out last week and explained the whole thing...And it's very, very cool. I'll recommend people pick up the trades if you haven't been reading it, especially if you're into futurism/transhumanism/Warren Ellis being Warren Ellis.Also, on above points - Deadpool is an awesome character but wouln't work in a film, and Grant Morrison's X-Men is fucking superb.

I recently read Preacher, Transmet and Y: The Last Man over the course of a couple of days each. Transmetropolitan was my favourite, great stuff. I liked Preacher a lot too, but I felt like the switch between humour and dark, serious stuff was a little jarring- I felt as though the stuff like cocks getting shot off took away from the rest of it. There's a place for comedy as a means to give different shades of light and dark, but that there was something tonally wrong with some of the stuff in there, which felt really juvenile. I like Y to an extent as well, but I found the end really dissatisfying. SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Given that the whole thing is basically a search for the truth and a girl, I found the explanation for the plague to be really lame, and the end of the relationship to be a real let-down, but not in the way it was probably intended.

Got Hush and the Long Halloween this week, celebrate the end of my masters degree. Both are great stories, though i'd probably prefer the Long Halloween (BTW both Batman books.) Hush is a long story if the ending being a little flat. The Long Halloween, which i think was part of the inspiration for the Dark Knight film, is awesome.