The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

Wonder if anyone can help out. I'm looking for a graphic novel much like Ennis' work with Preacher and Chronicles of Wormwood (kinda dark humour mixed with a fair story) but I don't want to keep buying everything by him! I'm new to the whole graphic novel scene so be gentle.I've also heard good things about The Sandman, Fables and Rising Stars, can anyone confirm that they are awesome?

Transmetropolitan is like Preacher and Wormwood in the good story with funny characters in it. ("Flithy Assisstants put your attack wombs away.") I still like the Boys but alot of people here have panned it so... You might like some of his Punisher stuff. Not the Max series, but Welcome Back Frank, Army of One and Business As Usual are very creative plus you have the greatest saga of all time; Detective Soap!

Well, as is mentioned by a few posters above, Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis and Darick Robertson is a great story with plenty of dark humor, marvellous art, wonderful flow of ideas and one of the all time best comic protagonists. It's of a Sci-fi/cyberpunk/political vein.You'll hear that Sandman is amazing, and while it has its problems, it's certainly very good. Slow start and incredibly inconsistant art, tends to groan under its own weight and draw too much on outside sources without context, but when it's good, a brilliant piece of work with it's own fully realised mythos, and a difficult but superbly played central character.Fables is very good indeed. A very twee premise that could have been disastrous but works well due to the panache that Willingham spins the stories with and the life he can breathe into the characters. Flits between drama and comedy seemlessly and is drawn beautifuly by Mark Buckingham throughout.EDIT - I got the impression he was looking for non-Garth Ennis stuff after only having read his books so far...

Edited by Alexander

Nearly forgot. The Authority by Warren Ellis is a very quirky super hero group which can be alot of fun. I can recommend to try and find the Kevin series (Kev, The Magnificent Kevin and A Man Called Kev) they are very good. Although that was Ennis again. But other Authority books are funny and cool

• 3 weeks later...

Similar thing but i've started buying a couple of Ultimate Spider Man and liked almost everything about it. The drawing seems fresh to me and the Peter Parker/Spider Man figure seems ideal for a skrawny kid with super powers. My only major drawback from this series is the first time i brought one it was the Ultimate Deadpool who was no where near as good as the original.BTW, finally getting the first two Transmetropolitans this week. :)

I've yet to even scratch the surface of the Ultimates but from what I've heard they're mostly very good.It does bring to mind the editorial from an Image Comics (creator-owned stuff, MD is Todd McFarlane) comic, where the guy said he'd been offered a job at one of the big comic companies but turned them down because he didn't want to be weighed down by decades of mythology and continuity, but wanted to create his own. Now, when a company has to create a whole new line because they're weary of trying to fit new stories in the old continuity, you might say that company needs a bit of a firmer direction. Heck, when they wipe out 20 years of Spiderman continuity you might say they've lost their minds. Now I don't know how many comics are sold these days compared to, say 20 years ago, although I'd lay good money on it being a lot less. If one of the companies said "no more comic book death syndrome" and stuck with it, made sure that actions had actual consequences

Transmetropolitan is like Preacher and Wormwood in the good story with funny characters in it. ("Flithy Assisstants put your attack wombs away.") I still like the Boys but alot of people here have panned it so... You might like some of his Punisher stuff. Not the Max series, but Welcome Back Frank, Army of One and Business As Usual are very creative plus you have the greatest saga of all time; Detective Soap!

Ah dear old Dectective Soap. If you called him a motherfucker you'd be technically right. How come you don't rate the max Punishers? Up is down, black is white and Born are top drawer in my opinion Edited by LiamTheGreat

• Moderators

So, I'm guessing there must be some Deadpool fans on here, right? Is there any books of him in particular that you can reccomend?I recently got a whole bunch of the Civil War books out of the library, and the X-Men Universe one had some Cable & Deadpool issues in it.I loathed him at first, but by the end of it I wanted to know more.Help me make a desicion with your reccomendations!Cheers.

Ah dear old Dectective Soap. If you called him a motherfucker you'd be technically right. How come you rate the max Punishers? Up is down, black is white and Born are top drawer in my opinion
I love the Max series, in fact i've got almost all the issues from In The Beginning all the way to Born/ Long Cold Dark. The reason i said they might not like the Max series is because, IMO, they were asking for a funny kinda book and the Max series i always found very sombre and serious. If you look back in the thread you'll note i recommend Slavers to anyone, cracking book.

So, I'm guessing there must be some Deadpool fans on here, right? Is there any books of him in particular that you can reccomend?

I recently got The Circle Chase and Sins Of The Past featuring Deadpool. Good comic but i feel like there was some back story i was missing from not reading X-Force. But there are a whole bunch of Deadpool And Cable books (at least 8 at last count) and they work very well. Cable is one of the weakest characters i've ever seen but for some reason Deadpool brings out the best in him. I've got Good Intentions (about the Civil War and shows Deadpool at his funniest).

All Star Superman is probably th best Superhero comic written in the last...ten years? Something like that. DC's biggest problem with recruiting new fans at the moment is that every story is so mired in continuity people can't get into it, so the idea of two series, featuring superstar teams, of the two biggest heroes on the books, was a great one. Of course, Frank Miller refused to play ball, and wrote the most wretched Batman story imaginable, and dropped the C word in the latest issue, so Frank Miller says fuck to getting new people into comics.But Superman worked. Every issue (apart from the one, two parter) told a brilliant, concise story that can be enjoyed on its own or as a part of the arc. We had a big debate on this board about Superman that I don't think some people really got, but these issues showed the strength of the character - Despite all the widescreen action and crazy ideas in this book, what it was really about was how Superman fits into the world, into the world of his friends and extended family, how the world changes Superman and how Superman changes the world. His parents, the kids he went to school with, his colleagues, the woman he loves, his best friend, and his arch-nemesis. It shows him at his most basic, and it shows him trying to make the world better, not just by punching a sentient sun (Although, come on, Superman punches a sentient sun in this comic) but by inspiring and enlightening people.It's a simple story, but emotionally deep, and the art from Quietly and Jamie Grant is as equally to thank for how special it really was. As good as Morrison/Quietly were on X-Men and WE3 (which everyone should take the time to read) this is their biggest acheivement together yet. And hey, look at this - a Superhero story that needed no deconstruction or gratuity to be the best thing in the medium all year. Who'd of guessed?