The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

Well, there are another couple of comics which i'll recommend to you...right now! First thing i would like to say is i've been reading Green Arrow books. Year One is a nice tale which might not be as good as Batman Year One but i still like it. It's very good story but pretty much what you'd expect after hearing the one sentence version of his origin. The second is a beautiful piece of writing by Brad Metzler called The Archer's Quest. It's the story of when Ollie comes back to life after being dead, he asks to see photos of his funeral. Seeing an unfamiliar face, he investigates with the former speedy. What happens next leads him to reclaiming some artefacts from his life which his insurance policy didn't destroy (After Barry Allens death, Ollie and Hal Jordan agreed to destroy evidence of there super hero lives in case it affected the family.)It's not alot of action but a great little story which looks at the Green Arrow character.And 1602. The only thing which i didn't like about it was when they made it clear it was the 20th century heroes in some odd manner. We knew that. I'd prefer some disconnected ending. But i get into that too much. This story is actually very good. I recommend it. I quite like Hellbblazer too. One of Ennis' most underrated stories was when Constatine gets terminal cancer. Good books.

Ennis' run on Hellblazer is great, all the way through. Especially when Steve Dillon moves onto art after Dangerous Habits.If you like the Green Arrow, then the best run on the character ever is definately Mike Grell's. Longbow Hunters is the only collected edition, I think, but it's all worth reading.

• Paid Members

And 1602. The only thing which i didn't like about it was when they made it clear it was the 20th century heroes in some odd manner. We knew that. I'd prefer some disconnected ending. But i get into that too much. This story is actually very good. I recommend it..

Could you give me a bit more detail i have picked up the GN so meny time only to put it back like.

It is the story of Marvel heroes in the time of Queen Elizabeth the first. The world has the new witchbreed (mutants) and there is erratic weather all around. The book follows Sir Nicholas Fury and his sire Peter Parquagh trying to stop the queen dying, Doctor Stephen Strange saving the world and healing the first child of the American colony Raonke Virginia Dare and her indian servant Rojhaz, the church hunting down JAiver (Xavier) Witchbreed and killing them, and Mister Murdoch travelling to find the ultimate weapon. It all comes to a head in the end. Sorry if this sounds disjointed or confusing but i'm worried about giving away the story and ruining it for you completely.

• Paid Members

It is the story of Marvel heroes in the time of Queen Elizabeth the first. The world has the new witchbreed (mutants) and there is erratic weather all around. The book follows Sir Nicholas Fury and his sire Peter Parquagh trying to stop the queen dying, Doctor Stephen Strange saving the world and healing the first child of the American colony Raonke Virginia Dare and her indian servant Rojhaz, the church hunting down JAiver (Xavier) Witchbreed and killing them, and Mister Murdoch travelling to find the ultimate weapon. It all comes to a head in the end. Sorry if this sounds disjointed or confusing but i'm worried about giving away the story and ruining it for you completely.

No man thanks for taking the time. Its just 1 of those books thats always a maybe when i pick up some im sure ill end up with it next time go shopping. I just picked up The Chonicles of Conan conisdering how old it is the artwork looks kinda uptodate with Marvels stuff.

• Moderators

.. which brings me on to All-Star Batman and Robin. Yeah. I mentioned it in the other comic thread we had. But I've finished it now. I really enjoyed it, and thought it was damn funny.

I don't think requiring someone to write a character in the way he's been viewed by common consensus over 60 years of existance counts as being precious. If Frank Miller wanted to write about a murdering, misoginistic, child abusing vigilante, he's more than welcome to. Instead he wrote an unrecognisable Batman (And Robin, and Hal Jordan. And Black Canary and Wonder Woman in ways that say a lot about his attitude to women), and I'm still not convinced it was supposed to be funny and ironic. It was just shit. And it shipped once every 8 months.
I didn't find it that far-fetched... Sure, it's not the Batman that we're used to, but I don't see it as totally out of the bounds of what the Batman character could be like.I forget the names of the books now, but if you read any of the stories that are written not about Batman but just from the POV of the Gotham police, and try to put the idea of a vigilante that goes around in a giant bat costume into the context of normal people you can see why you'd have to be a bit crazy to do something like that.I think the view he presented was coherent, and his Batman was a developed enough and full enough character that I could slot a lot of things I know about Batman into it.Who did he murder?!?

Who did he murder?!?

According to Wikipedia:

His abuse extends even towards innocents: he verbally and physically abuses Dick Grayson in an attempt to prevent him from grieving over his parent's deaths, even slapping the boy in the face. Immediately following this, Batman appears to kill a group of corrupt police officers by landing the Batmobile on top of a pursuing squad car.

I haven't read it so can't comment any further.

• Paid Members

Whilst remebering the wrestling hour on QVCUK, I recall with even more fondness, the comic collectables on that same channel. Hosted by DF's Nick barruci, they had some good items, some crap. I remember completing my Dark Victory and Long Haloween collections with signed editions of the #1 issues of each series. They used to do a lot of bumper packages in which you would get a couple of signed issues or alternate cover issues , with about 40 random comics on top. Good for gifts for younger brothers etc. I don't think they are doing anymore shows though.

Edited by Taylorslade

.. which brings me on to All-Star Batman and Robin. Yeah. I mentioned it in the other comic thread we had. But I've finished it now. I really enjoyed it, and thought it was damn funny.

I don't think requiring someone to write a character in the way he's been viewed by common consensus over 60 years of existance counts as being precious. If Frank Miller wanted to write about a murdering, misoginistic, child abusing vigilante, he's more than welcome to. Instead he wrote an unrecognisable Batman (And Robin, and Hal Jordan. And Black Canary and Wonder Woman in ways that say a lot about his attitude to women), and I'm still not convinced it was supposed to be funny and ironic. It was just shit. And it shipped once every 8 months.
I didn't find it that far-fetched... Sure, it's not the Batman that we're used to, but I don't see it as totally out of the bounds of what the Batman character could be like.I forget the names of the books now, but if you read any of the stories that are written not about Batman but just from the POV of the Gotham police, and try to put the idea of a vigilante that goes around in a giant bat costume into the context of normal people you can see why you'd have to be a bit crazy to do something like that.I think the view he presented was coherent, and his Batman was a developed enough and full enough character that I could slot a lot of things I know about Batman into it.Who did he murder?!?
Batman killing people. Batman slapping Robin around for no reason. These are things that absouletly everyone knows are just not right for the character. "I'm the goddamn Batman!" is terrible dialogue. Jim Lee can't draw feet. Shit book.

• Paid Members

Batman killing people. Batman slapping Robin around for no reason. These are things that absouletly everyone knows are just not right for the character. "I'm the goddamn Batman!" is terrible dialogue. Jim Lee can't draw feet. Shit book.

Think about who and what Batman is. A child is so traumatised by the death of his parents he dedicates his life to becoming the ultimate fighting machine in order to rid his city of the crime plague that infests it while dressed in a batsuit. It's not too ridiculous to imagine this person is a little unhinged. Certainly Miller's depiction differs from the accepted and standard portrayal of Batman but what's wrong with that? The All Star series is set in it's own universe and seperate from ongoing DC continuity. View it in an elseworlds sense if that makes it a little easier to digest. Personally I find it quite fun. Not amazing, but certainly entertaining.BTW, the book Hage was referring to is Gotham Central, a great little series of tales following the Gotham Police around with only limited involvement from Bats.

The thing is, it's not a different Batman, it's an unrecognisable Batman (DOES NOT KILL is about the most important thing about the character) in a comic that was billed as a proper Batman comic. If Miller wants to write this nonsense he's welcome to (And it'll get slammed, because terrible characters or not this book is just BAD) but why do a Batman book without Batman? The equivilant Superman title isn't in continuity but manages to actually, you know, FEATURE SUPERMAN. A while back I wrote a parody of what Ultimate Batman would be like, if someone like Mark Millar was writing it. I now realise I was giving comics too much credit :(And yeah, of course Batman is nuts. But the whole idea of Superheros is nuts at it's core, and that's why attempts to stop and examine it too closely became so old, so fast.