The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

Read the latest issue this week. It's Morrison again, and it's probably going to be the end of Bruce Wayne as Batman in some manner. Morrison's recent run on Batman has been great - the literary issue where the Joker was 'reborn', the club of heroes story, the replacment Batmen arc...And it's all running up to this. Is he going to kill Wayne off? Well, when someone asked him in an interview, Morrison said "No. It's much worse than that"

Morrison's Batman works around the idea that every Batman story really happened to him - including all the really wacky, insane silver age stories. Good idea, very good executuon so far, although hopefully the revelation at the end of 680 wasn't the big pay off...One more issue to go.

Having just read the first 'proper' issue (Avatar seem to want to do zero issues of everything these days) of Garth Ennis and Jacen Burrows' new series Crossed, I feel like I have to say - the last two page spread of this issue is perhaps the most horrible image I think I've ever seen in a comic. Now, I don't read out and out horrors much, so I could be on the lower end of the scale, but I honestly could not think of anything I've ever seen in a comic that made me as uncomfortable.So, anyone else seen it? Or, if not, what's the most uncomfortably graphic thing you've ever seen in a comic?Crossed in general was full of really horrendous things, by the way. Not sure if I really enjoyed it :/

Edited by Alexander

Yeah, that would've been a good idea, wouldn't it? :confused:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

It was a splash page of a couple and their child being attacked by The Crossed. The man is on all fours being buggered by one of them, his wife is being raped on all fours in front of him whilst a third smashes her in the head with a branch, and their young daughter is being held spread eagled above them and hacked into pieces. Oh, and the wife is screaming at the husband that it's his fault. To be fair, it was his fault.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

On reflection, I should have known enough to read Spiderman Loves Mary Jane first :/ I couldn't really get into it, after that.

Context...

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Well, the book's a typical "Follow a group of survivors after a zombie apocalypse" tale that we've seen many times before, with the twist that the infected aren't mindless shamblers, they can talk, they're smart, they're organized, they'll lay traps for you and, when they catch you, they'll take their time killing you. In the set up to the scene, the man has been established (in two frames or so of dialogue) as a bit of a bore, who has "discovered" that the Crossed are vulnervable to salt. Obviously he's just desperate and a little out of touch with the reality they've been landed in. You know straight away that he'll come to a bad end for the whole salt thing, and sure enough, when the Crossed turn up and his missus turns her ankle, he pours a circle of salt around them instead of shooting her and legging it with the daughter. And then...Yeah. Having gone back and had another look, I forgot that the fella buggering the unfortunate man also has big handfull of his intestines.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Alexander

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the first two Ultimates this past week (superheroes and homeland security i think their called.) Very good books, if a bit upsetting. I really enjoy the books, but i do have one complaint. I hate Nick Fury as this Denzil Washington lookalike who is not that crass at all. To me, it completely destroys the character i grew up loving. A bit like the Ultimate version of Deadpool. I don't mind altering the stories around but why mess with some of the best unique characters and turn them into these piss poor versions seems stupid.

I really enjoyed Ultimates and Ultimates 2, especially the second volume of Ultimates 2 (Grand Theft America). Though I haven't delved too far for fear of spoilers, I have been hearing lots of people say that Ultimates 3 has seen the series take a massive nose-dive in quality. Then again, a fair few seemed to dislike Grand Theft America so there could be hope for me yet.

I'm currently reading Fables Vol. 9: Sons of Empire which is continuing the fantastic quality of this immense series, both in artwork and story. I love they way they evolve the characters from the simple childhood memories we have of them. Hansel is the latest to have his stopry revealed since the days of the Gingerbread House - great stuff.

I hate Nick Fury as this Denzil Washington lookalike who is not that crass at all.

Samuel L Jackson, surely? Given Marvel have said they modelled Ultimate Nick Fury on him (with the actor's permission) and he says in an early Ultimates he'd get SLJ to play him in a film. As far as the crassness goes, no idea as I've not ready any old Nick Fury.Next read for me will be the Marvel Essentials collection of the early Punisher appearances. I've already read the Garth Ennis origin story, and the first 20 issues of his original 80s comics, but I've not read his very first appearances in other peoples' titles yet. I

• Paid Members

I hate Nick Fury as this Denzil Washington lookalike who is not that crass at all.

Samuel L Jackson, surely? Given Marvel have said they modelled Ultimate Nick Fury on him (with the actor's permission) and he says in an early Ultimates he'd get SLJ to play him in a film. As far as the crassness goes, no idea as I've not ready any old Nick Fury.
And also given thatSPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Jackson is actually playing Nick Fury now as of the post-credits clip of Iron Man, and will continue the role in IM2.

I'm currently reading batman confidential this arc called "Do you understand these rights?" is about the first time batman hands the joker over to the Gotham Police department and how ill prepared they are for dealing with someone like the joker. Theres a scene of lieutenant gordon and batman on the rooftop speaking and batman says"he cant hurt anyone else" oh how wrong you are bruce and i really enjoyed this issue looking forward to the next one.:)David

Edited by Lucha fan

I feel annoyed. I was going to say Samuel L. Jackson but decided to show my diversity...plus i fought the face was more like Washington than Jackson, even with the eye patch.I don't know what to suggest apart from ebay for RATGOH and it might be worth going on the forbidden planet website. They do have a shitload of books i've barely seen on the shelves.Finally, i re read Sinister Dexter today. It's a brilliant book with some of the best and orginal artwork i've seen (Chas Davis?). I recommend it along with another couple of 2000AD stories The Simping Detective and Nikolai Dante Sword of the Tsar. Does anyone else read 2000AD or their stories? No one seems to mention them that much?