The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members
"For The Man Who Has Everything" is pretty damn good, and has the single best Superman panel I've ever seen, when he looks up at Mongul with heat-vision-infused eyes and utters one word:

"BURN."

Because I'm in a generous mood (and my phone needs a new wallpaper:

3194161817_9f02c4c491_o.jpg

Thanks, that's brilliant.

WatchTheBirdie.jpg

When was Dr. Light in the JLA?

I think I'd like to get into reading Jonah Hex at some point - I hear nothing but good stuff about it.

• Paid Members
The JLA were looking for Dr Light in connection with Sue Dibny's murder. Deathstroke was defending him for cash.

Ah, right - should've guessed really. He's wayyy too much of a heel to be able to come to a truce with the JLA.

Has anyone bought any of the Watchmen Motion Comics on iTunes? I've read reviews which are pretty favourable, aside from the complaints of one guy reading all male and female parts. The concept didn't really appeal to me but the feedback has me intrigued, just not sure I want to pay

I've been trying to think of a single panel shot of a comic which i thought was really cool and wasn't mentioned. I like the early part of Hush where Batman has fallen into Crime Alley and you see him all battered on the floor.

The other one which springs to mind is Jeese Custer swearing at his grandmother and just looking mad as hell.

Does Knightfall get a negative reaction? Azrael as Batman is a horrible idea, but it was always going to be temporary and, really, was just the DC editors showing those tedious fans who always want Batman to kill people how much damage it would do to the concept. So in a way (Taking into account how shit and contemporary the AzBat costume is as well) it's a massive fuck you to 90s Superhero comics, therefore awesome. And the story itself is written by some fantastic creators in part (Grant, Moench, O'Neil) with loads of gorgeous Jim Aparo artwork. So yeah, all the stuff up to Wayne getting his back broken is great, the stuff with Valley in the big chair is sometimes crap, but for a reason, and it ends OK.

Of course, they followed it up with Prodigal, which is atrocious.

Does Knightfall get a negative reaction? Azrael as Batman is a horrible idea, but it was always going to be temporary and, really, was just the DC editors showing those tedious fans who always want Batman to kill people how much damage it would do to the concept. So in a way (Taking into account how shit and contemporary the AzBat costume is as well) it's a massive fuck you to 90s Superhero comics, therefore awesome. And the story itself is written by some fantastic creators in part (Grant, Moench, O'Neil) with loads of gorgeous Jim Aparo artwork. So yeah, all the stuff up to Wayne getting his back broken is great, the stuff with Valley in the big chair is sometimes crap, but for a reason, and it ends OK.

Of course, they followed it up with Prodigal, which is atrocious.

Apparently so. I don't frequent many comic/graphic novel discussion sites or whatever but my friend apparently does and he commented on it before I bought part one. I think that parts one and two are brilliant, it's just the first half of part three was so bad it almost ruined the first two. There's also this huge time jump where Bruce is suddenly able to walk and has been training and such. If they're gonna sell Knightsend as Knightfall Part 3 they should at least add in some of what happened since part two.

That being said, the third one is picking up slightly at the moment. Catwoman and Nightwing are annoying as hell though.

• Paid Members
Get it. The current storyline is limping, but the opening arc was great fun.

Assuming you mean the current series and not the classic? I'd probably advise you to buy that as well, actually.

Thanks - will be picking up a copy, then.

• Paid Members
John August to Write Preacher

Source:The Hollywood Reporter January 22, 2009

The Hollywood Reporter says that screenwriter John August will pen the comic book adaptation Preacher for director Sam Mendes and Columbia Pictures.

Preacher is based on the popular 1990s DC/Vertigo series created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. It tells the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher, given immense powers, who teams up with a former girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and sets out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

Neal Moritz is producing through his Original Films banner along with Kickstart Prods.' Jason Netter

So it's in the hand's of the guy who wrote Big Fish. Sounds promising.

• Paid Members
I just finished reading Knightfall parts 1 and 2 so I have a hankering for some other unique Batman graphic novels if anyone could recommend any? Ignoring the obvious Frank Miller books.

Try Arkham Asylum. Very unique, very dark, very strange. Well worth a look.