The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I read Batman RIP the other day and thought it was a right load of fucking shite. I don't understand how it's so highly rated. It was a complete mess without a beginning, middle or end. And people keep saying about "the rebirth of The Joker"...did I miss something? He was barely in the thing and didn't really do much of note. When I finished it I felt like maybe half the pages of the book were missing because I didn't get a fucking thing. Someone whose read it please explain.

I got talking with the guy who runs Paradox in Poole (i can't plug it enough) and he was talking about the confusing state of Marvel right now. Apparently all the Ultimate comics (The Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Spiderman) are ending and being replaced with Ultimate Comics Presents. Then there was the interesting story of Dark Reign.

Apparently, Norman Osborn has taken over some corporation (i think H.A.M.M.E.R.) and started up a new Avengers to mock the present Avengers and they are an odd bagful The oddest case we were talking about was Bullseye. Bullseye has become Hawkeye, but Hawkeye is now Ronin (something i didn't know) so it's an odd case. Poor bloke was saying think about all the comics he brings in and the titles all crossing over.

Anyway, today i got the first Herogasm miniseries. An odd case which i can't see why it isn't part of the main story, but still much of what you'd expect. Funny.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Heads up for anyone that is near the area - Mike Carey (Hellblazer, Lucifer, X-Men Legacy, The Unwritten and the Felix Castor novels) is doing a free reading, Q&A and signing at the Big Green Bookshop in Wood Green tonight at 7pm. It's an intimate venue, and should be interesting stuff.

• Paid Members
Heads up for anyone that is near the area - Mike Carey (Hellblazer, Lucifer, X-Men Legacy, The Unwritten and the Felix Castor novels) is doing a free reading, Q&A and signing at the Big Green Bookshop in Wood Green tonight at 7pm. It's an intimate venue, and should be interesting stuff.

Big Green Bookshop? Where the hell in Wood Green is that?

• Paid Members
Round the corner from Gamestation, just up (or down, if you're coming from Turnpike Lane) from the shopping centre.

I see. Must be new. The only bookshop I remember in Wood Green was Ottakar's, and that closed down a couple of years ago (a big shame, as it was quite good for a bookshop outside central London).

• Paid Members
I read Batman RIP the other day and thought it was a right load of fucking shite. I don't understand how it's so highly rated. It was a complete mess without a beginning, middle or end. And people keep saying about "the rebirth of The Joker"...did I miss something? He was barely in the thing and didn't really do much of note. When I finished it I felt like maybe half the pages of the book were missing because I didn't get a fucking thing. Someone whose read it please explain.

Can someone help me out with this? Still confused here.

Batman RIP was set 6 months before The Battle for the Cowl finished, so in terms of it's importance, it was only to tease what Gotham would be like if it lost Batman.

If you've read the trade, then I don't think it includes the tie-in issues from Robin, Nightwing, The Outsiders and Detective Comics. The five issues of Detective Comics in the Batman RIP arc were the 'Heart of Hush' storyline, which got it's own trade release. The problem with these types of story events are that they have too many tie-in issues spread over too many titles and they normally lead towards the next major event. While reading the main storyline should be enough to follow the plot, it's not always the case for getting the entire picture.

The 'RIP' in the title was a shameless attempt to make people buy it, thinking Batman was going to die and it worked. Batman's "death" was in Final Crisis #6, as that was one of the things Final Crisis was actually building too.

It would nice if they did cut down on the number of crossover events and tie-ins to just once a year at the most.

But i heard that Batman isn't quite dead yet. There's going to be a hiatus on all Batman titles and Nightwing, Robin etc. To see who will become the new Batman. Isn't that right?

Personally, i can't get into DC comics anymore. There looked to be one or two titles a little while ago (in particular Outsiders and Batman and the Outsiders) but now that's gone all tits up. I need more Green Arrow stuff to get my interest up.

I've now got Cable and Deadpool from 1 to 6 and their brilliant. I love the comedy stuff (which is topnotch) but the hints of tragedy with his mental and personal problems. And Cable seems half interesting with this association. Great stuff. Oh and got Ultimates 3. Shocking. They left out a huge chunk of the basic story. Not little things but they've gotten rid of some characters and introduce others and changed the dynamics of the group. Horrible narration.

• 1 month later...

Finished reading Batman: The Dark Knight Returns on Wednesday, despite buying 4 years ago! Fantastic, in every aspect - story and artwork were both top notch. I was all set to get Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again but then read some really damning reviews on Amazon. Has anyone read it and cam verify it's poor standard?

I have just started Powers: The Definitive Hardback Collection vol 1 which I have been trying to find for ages but nowhere seeemed to have it in stock, thank goodness for The Book Depository. Only read about 20 pages so far, but it seems pretty good and the kind of thing I'd like, which as it's written by Bendis is not surprising. In fact it was Bendis on Twitter talking about a new Powers series that made research and then order the original series. The publication itself is gorgeous with many 'extras'.

Last night I ordered Fables vol 12 and DMZ vol 7 from Forbidden Planet. It works out slightly more expensive than Amazon but they get the American stock so they have them a lot sooner, in fact Fables vol 12 is in stock already for them, which is fantastic news as it's my favourite series....ever!

Woot! First post in this thread :) I've just rediscovered my Secret Wars graphic novel and spent all of last evening yumming it up. What a brilliant crossover - still unmatched from the little I've read.

The last series I read was Battle Pope, which was a really good giggle, and I loved some of the artwork.

Next thing on my list is to find Necessary Evil: Volume 2. I nicked Vol.1 off Gabe, and found myself very impressed. Art isn't my style, but the story really dragged me in (A University for Super Villians)

Edited by Majik

Finished reading Batman: The Dark Knight Returns on Wednesday, despite buying 4 years ago! Fantastic, in every aspect - story and artwork were both top notch. I was all set to get Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again but then read some really damning reviews on Amazon. Has anyone read it and cam verify it's poor standard?

Dark Knight Strikes Again is one comic i really like. It seems to take an odd road from the first book because there a sudden change in the authority dynamic which is never really detailed in the Returns. My only real gripe about the book is why is it called 'The Dark Knight' when much of the story is based around the old JLA and Superman. But overall i really liked it and recommend it.

Started to pick up some of the Green Arrow books including Quiver and Sounds of Violence. These books re-enforce my love for Green Arrow. Awesome stories. Oh, and i got Deadpool Secret Invasion. I greatly enjoyed it.