The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Moderators

I recently read Batman - Hush. That was pretty fun, and Jim Lee is awesome... I just got a couple Superman books that he's done out the library written by the guy that did 100 Bullets, so I'm looking forward to those!

Currently reading Iron Man, Director of SHIELD - Haunted. It's good fun. I'd never really read much Iron Man before, but I've got into him as a character a whole lot more since the Civil War and also since having seen the film.

He's an asshole, but I like him. Reed is more objectionable.

Also just read the The New Avengers - Illuminati book (Bendis), featuring both of them, Prof X, Namor and Black Bolt. Namor is pretty funny in those..

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
There's also this huge time jump where Bruce is suddenly able to walk and has been training and such. If they're gonna sell Knightsend as Knightfall Part 3 they should at least add in some of what happened since part two.

I bought these three books forever ago and in the copy I have of number 2 they reference "Knightsquest" in which Brucie the Crip rolls around the globe chasing after Robin's dad (who was nabbed by some fellows in one of the books). Apparently at some point on this journey he of course regains the ability to walk and begins his rehabilitation leading into Knightsend. Which is, as you state, cack. I'm assuming they just never got round to releasing the Quest in trade paperback.

Comics I've read lately - a whole dose of JLA books from 2006-2007. All of them were shockingly bad (Kid Amazo?!? WTF was that shit?!?). Thankfully I exclusively get my comics fix from the library these days so no real harm done. Some DC book about the Guardians/manhunters called Millennium which led to the introduction of some seriously shit new heroes (Gloss, Ram and some other losers). Avoid this like the plague. Nothing else comes to mind at the minute. It's been a bad time for me and comics lately.

Miamivenis bringing the enthusiasm.

I forgot the Arkham Asylum. That really is one of the most fucked up books i've ever read. Brilliant stuff.

Well my friends, today i will purchase Transmetropolitan volume 10 and hence complete the story (other than reading volume 0). Another grand day for me. Then i'll have to find another series to read.

• Paid Members
I forgot the Arkham Asylum. That really is one of the most fucked up books i've ever read. Brilliant stuff.

Well my friends, today i will purchase Transmetropolitan volume 10 and hence complete the story (other than reading volume 0). Another grand day for me. Then i'll have to find another series to read.

All I will say about the ending - expect tears.

I had tears, right up until the very last page. Maybe it's just the way i interpreted it wrongly but i'm extremely happy with that ending.

Now i've decided to try and order more Deadpool and Cable books. It may not be a series but i greatly enjoy the couple i have already and based it on that fact.

• Paid Members
I had tears, right up until the very last page. Maybe it's just the way i interpreted it wrongly but i'm extremely happy with that ending.

Now i've decided to try and order more Deadpool and Cable books. It may not be a series but i greatly enjoy the couple i have already and based it on that fact.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Tears...of laughter. Really funny ending.

Just finished The Boys v3 which I enjoyed but being very shallow, I wanted a bit more action, as the first 2 TPBs got me accustomed to! On the flipside of that it was to get some history on VA, I'd like to know Butcher's story too at some point. Really like the realtionship between 'him' and 'her' and the ramifications that will have. Very good series, now I just have to wait a long till v4!

Now I am on to DMZ v2 and just a few pages in and things have taken a particulalry interesting turn.

• Paid Members

Hey, can anyone recommend me a good place to start with The Green Lantern? I love DC comics but I never really got into him, I'd like to check him out, any particularly good stories involving the fella?

Preferably nothing too contrived, and preferably Hal Jordan too (no negro GLs thanks)

Safe geezers

• Paid Members
Hey, can anyone recommend me a good place to start with The Green Lantern? I love DC comics but I never really got into him, I'd like to check him out, any particularly good stories involving the fella?

My personal favourite is "New Journey, Old Path", but I also love "Brother's Keeper" (a VERY modern story), "The Power Of Ion" and "Circle Of Fire". These are all my favourite Lantern, Kyle Rayner, though. "Traitor" is a good one if you want to see Abin Sur, Hal Jordan and Kyle Rayner in one story.

Preferably nothing too contrived, and preferably Hal Jordan too (no negro GLs thanks)

Safe geezers

Deliberate trolling aside, John Stewart is one of the best written superheroes ever - why would you not want to read his stuff? I read Mosaic on Alexander's recommendation, and it's fucking tremendous. And Hal Jordan is boring as fuck - if you can't get into GL normally, Jordan won't help you. Best to read the more maverick ones, like Stewart, Gardner or Rayner.

Now I am on to DMZ v2 and just a few pages in and things have taken a particulalry interesting turn.

Gets better :)

It certainly does - I have almost finished v3 and it is a riveting series. I have been recommended this series several times over the last year, just glad I took notice at last!

• Paid Members

My personal favourite is "New Journey, Old Path", but I also love "Brother's Keeper" (a VERY modern story), "The Power Of Ion" and "Circle Of Fire". These are all my favourite Lantern, Kyle Rayner, though. "Traitor" is a good one if you want to see Abin Sur, Hal Jordan and Kyle Rayner in one story.

Safe geezers

Deliberate trolling aside, John Stewart is one of the best written superheroes ever - why would you not want to read his stuff? I read Mosaic on Alexander's recommendation, and it's fucking tremendous. And Hal Jordan is boring as fuck - if you can't get into GL normally, Jordan won't help you. Best to read the more maverick ones, like Stewart, Gardner or Rayner.

Thanks dude, I'd read some john stewart stuff down the line but I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to comics and I don't really like new versions of characters (I know Hal Jordan wasn't the first GL but he is the classic one) and I just fancied starting with him, thanks for the recommendations, I'll get on them and let you know what I thought.

Just because i love it Transmetropolitan. It really is the greatest series i have ever read.

Others? You should probably get some Frank Miller. I suggest The Dark Knight Returns but you might want to get away from Batman and go for Sin City or Daredevil. V for Vendetta is also top notch.

• Paid Members

Safe geezers

Thanks dude, I'd read some john stewart stuff down the line but I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to comics and I don't really like new versions of characters (I know Hal Jordan wasn't the first GL but he is the classic one) and I just fancied starting with him, thanks for the recommendations, I'll get on them and let you know what I thought.

Good. But, just for your information, John Stewart isn't a new version of GL per se, he's an alternate who came into his own. Like I mentioned, Mosaic is tremendous. Read it if you get the chance; you'll be glad you did.