The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

Catman? I thought

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

he was killed off in "The Archer's Quest" when Monsieur Mallah got his hands on him?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Nope, the monkey decided that Blake was beneath even being eating, pathetic as he'd become. That was the last straw for Catman, who embarked on a voyage of self discovery and became the man he is today. I like Blake's new character, he wants to be a hero, but can't get away from the fact that, at heart, he's a brutal, violent, maniac.

Think I've said this multiple times in this thread already but i love Green Arrow and Archer's Quest might be one of the very best books i've ever read. Don't really know about Catman but i liked the idea no one could take him seriously because he was such a blatant rip off. I thought he had some quality as a villain so i might take a look for secret six.

BTW, all you Ennis fans and Punisher fans, their is a new comic out called Punisher War Journal with the grand return of Ma Gnucci. Ennis and Steve Dillon are back together again for this one. Got the first two issues and it hasn't missed a beat. Bad news, no Soap. Good news (kinda) Molly Von Richtenoff is back and a new sidekick/gutless coward.

I think ragdoll is fantastic and i liked how he revealed in villians united why he had surgery to make himself triple jointed so he would be like his father and brother who were born that way and so he would be accepted by them and some of the one liners he comes out with makes me laugh out loud. Junior is a brillant bad guy so brutual and so crazy getting carried in a burlap sack on the back seat of his car issuing orders and living in a crate i cant wait till the next issue.:)

Edited by Lucha fan

• Paid Members
Catman? I thought

he was killed off in "The Archer's Quest" when Monsieur Mallah got his hands on him?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Nope, the monkey decided that Blake was beneath even being eating, pathetic as he'd become. That was the last straw for Catman, who embarked on a voyage of self discovery and became the man he is today. I like Blake's new character, he wants to be a hero, but can't get away from the fact that, at heart, he's a brutal, violent, maniac.

I see. Sounds pretty cool. Will definitely have to have a look out for that.

• Paid Members
I just got the collected Alan Moore DC Stories in the post. The two biggies are "Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?" and "The Killing Joke", the rest of it could be pictures of Alan Moore's wrinkly old ass and I'd still be pleased to own it.

One of my favourites. "For The Man Who Has Everything" is pretty damn good, and has the single best Superman panel I've ever seen, when he looks up at Mongul with heat-vision-infused eyes and utters one word:

"BURN."

I just finished reading Knightfall parts 1 and 2 so I have a hankering for some other unique Batman graphic novels if anyone could recommend any? Ignoring the obvious Frank Miller books.

I really enjoyed Batman In Hong Kong. Also, Face The Face and City Of Crime are well worth a read.

I keep meaning to read that, and "Stormwatch". But life being finite and all that.

I was looking at my bookshelves the other day, and was fairly amazed to realise I'd never read the last two chapters of

Watchmen

My opinion's not going to be a wild surprise, but it's one of the best works of fiction I think I've ever read. I'll try not to spoil it for people, but if you're clicking on this thread and haven't read it, I can only suggest putting off eating or something for a few days and save the money to go and buy yourself a copy.

Making you sympathise for a character like Rorschach is no mean feat. God knows how they're going to update the story though, unless they just set it in the 1980s. Thinking about it, the ending's sort-of fucked up, it's like someone had to be make a Rorschach-like decision, but on a global scale. Quite the "happy" ending, I think.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Is the film not set in the 80's? It'd be really difficult and pointless to try and move it to current days.

Is the film not set in the 80's? It'd be really difficult and pointless to try and move it to current days.

It could well be, I'm not going out of my way to read spoilers and watch trailers and stuff. Although I did see a little bit of film about the taking of the "Minutemen" photograph, and it's so close to the book it gives me hope that the rest of the film will be the same. Jeffrey Dean Morgan is maybe, maybe, the best piece of casting I've ever seen in a superhero film as the Comedian, I'm absolutely full of excitement for the film itself. Has anyone seen the bit of film where Alan Moore reads out a part of Rorschach's diary over the top of images from the book? Absolutely awesome.

Anyway, the blog in my sig really needs some content, so I'm going to do a big huge piece on the Watchmen, with my review of it chock full o' spoilers and what I think of it all. It's every bit as good as people make it out to be though, so get yourself reading it if you haven't already.

Oh yeah, Watchmen is probably the quintessential graphic novel. If you're a fan of the medium (which you are or you wouldnt be reading this thread) and havent read it definatly go out of your way to get a copy. As far as the film goes, all I've seen is an awesome looking trailer with Take A Bow by Muse in it which fit perfectly. Visually it looks very good and is a very accurate portrayal of the excellent artwork. Apparently Guillermo del Toro was offered the project before Snyder, that would've been interesting. I'm really looking forward to seeing the film, but it does have the potential to turn into a massive mess.

I'm half way through volume 1 of DMZ and the strength of what I have read so far I have ordered volumes 2-5.

DMZ on Wiki

The whole storyline based around the main character, Matty Roth, seems like an absolutely fascinating one so far and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops and how his character develops alongside the storyline. The artwork is very gritty and quite harrowing at times.

- - - -

Also just read The Authority Vol. 1: Relentless -

enjoyed this, though I felt they overcame their adversaries a little too quickly. In this one TPB two planet threatening forces were sent packing and there is no real urgency for me to buy vol 2. I probably will buy the subsequent volumes as I like the characters, but others will take precedence.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();