The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

I'm trying to get my girlfriend into comics at the moment, and I'm not sure whether to try and hook her with Fables or Y:The Last Man. Anyone have an opinion?

Both are all kinds of awesome but I'd choose Fables out of the two. I'd also go with Strangers in Paradise for a GF recommendation. Part soap, part crime, part humour and all very addictive.

Having just bought SFIV, I'll have to wait until Pay Day for my next purchase. However I'm strongly leaning towards picking up Watchmen. I'm a big 2000AD man, Rogue Trooper, ABC Warriors, Strontium Dog, Bad Company, Slaine and of course Dredd himself. Is this likely appeal to me given my tastes?

I may finally try some new tastes as well, having recently dipped into the Essential Punisher.

• Paid Members
Having just bought SFIV, I'll have to wait until Pay Day for my next purchase. However I'm strongly leaning towards picking up Watchmen. I'm a big 2000AD man, Rogue Trooper, ABC Warriors, Strontium Dog, Bad Company, Slaine and of course Dredd himself. Is this likely appeal to me given my tastes?

I may finally try some new tastes as well, having recently dipped into the Essential Punisher.

More than likely. Alan Moore spent a long time writing for 2000AD before he went to the US.

Best Punisher books come from Garth Ennis. Look for Welcome Back Frank, Army of One and Business As Usual. They are brilliant. You can read the Max Series, it's more gruesome and less humourous but still gripping reads.

I picked up Welcome Back Frank the other day, looking forward to reading it.

My friend recommended it to me and i really enjoyed it. Can't remember which volume it was. But for the life of me, i've never followed up on it. I can't think of a reason why not to read it. It was a good read, i'll have to pick some up but right now i'm broke.

• Paid Members

Looking for a bit of help. I'm going on holiday for a few weeks and wanted a recommendation of a few Graphic novels the same sort of size of Watchmen that will last me a few days.

Last GN i got which was a fair size was the planet Hulk book which i loved, i normally pick up Batman, Marvel, Savage Dragon, Judge Dredd (case files), So If there is any good other DC stuff Green Lantern Flash JLA etc etc i have not read would be amazing thanks in advance.

Hulk's Marvel mate.

But i always say Green Arrow is fantastic. One like Archers Quest is gripping. I don't really read much DC. From Hell by Alan Moore is a nice thick book and very dark. Problem is it's bloody expensive. V for Vendetta's very good. Hellblazer's Blood ties is thick and very good read, but it's not one story more of a follow on from Dangerous Habits.

That's probably not very helpful, sorry.

• Paid Members
Hulk's Marvel mate.

But i always say Green Arrow is fantastic. One like Archers Quest is gripping. I don't really read much DC. From Hell by Alan Moore is a nice thick book and very dark. Problem is it's bloody expensive. V for Vendetta's very good. Hellblazer's Blood ties is thick and very good read, but it's not one story more of a follow on from Dangerous Habits.

That's probably not very helpful, sorry.

Yeah i know Hulks marvel guess it was bad wording on my part, i was looking for any good DC books that are non Batman and Superman as i have more then likely read them, Ill have a look for Archers Quest thanks, is Green Arrow as similar to Batman as he seems?

Kinda, but GA gets away with more stuff that Batman doesn't. That's not really an answer so i'll try this.

The pretense is very similar. I think in the 60s when Marvel was on the rise DC needed new characters. But they weren't very creative. Green Arrow was very much like Batman, but the story was GA was abandoned on a desert island and learnt his skills to survive. They replicated Batman alot. From Speedy (sidekick) to the arrowcave, arrow car and (this is real and amazing) the yellow submarine.

But in the 70s (I think) DC and Marvel decided to get rid of the Comic code and Green Arrow was teamed with Green Latern. GA was a hero for the ordinary people and did alot of anti-racist stories. After that Arrow was used to explore alot of 'hot topic' issues. While Batman had a couple of real tragedies like Robin dying, his stories have been following a formula. Green Arrow gets alot of different issues either real (Speedy gets a drug addiction, Arrow cheats on his girlfriend, Arrow has a love child, and the new speedy has HIV) or comic issues (Archers Quest follows his life after he is ressurected). I think Arrow is an amazing character.

Also he hates Batman. There's one issue where he said "Clark and Bruce say don't get emotional. They don't get emotional. But emotion makes me th man i am." Arrow and Batman exchange villians and it's that kind of respect thing they have. But he doesn't like Batman.