The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

Today, i bought the latest edition of Boys and i got Checkout, a crossover with Checkmate and The Outsiders ( Not Kevin Nash and Scott Hall). And i really enjoyed it. Alot darker and meaner in style and overall tone. Very good stuff. I might pick up some more Outsiders titles. I like the dynamic. Must also look at Check mate too.

And i got the first two volumes of Deadpool and Cable. Very funny stuff and a little weird. But i like it any way.

• Paid Members

I've been doing a lot of re-reading recently, despite the huge pile of stuff I still need to read. I went through the first 2 series of Runaways again, which was even better that I remembered it. Between that, Y:TLM, Ex Machina and this season of Lost I've come to the conclusion that Brian K. Vaughn is my all time favourite writer. I haven't read a single thing by him that's failed to hook me almost instantly.

I also re-read The Other (Spider-Man arc), which wasn't anywhere near as good as I remembered it. It's very easy reading, and quite fun, but it just reminded me of that South Park episode where Lucas & Spielberg rape Indiana Jones. It was almost as if Straczynski didn't like the original character and went about trying to change everything to suit his own convoluted story. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer his run over any of the other ASM writers, but I'm started to see why he pissed off so many fans, and with the gift of retrospect you realise that it was all for nothing. Anytime that period's mentioned now it's almost in the same tone as the Clone Saga. Seriously, when after that arc did Spider-Man's 'stingers' come into effect? I dunno, I've got really mixed feelings about this. On one hand it was probably one of the most exciting periods in Spider-Man in years, but at the same time it was at the expense of the original source material without a single thought for the future of the character, and it did lead to the Brand New Day bollox.

Speaking of Straczynski (I'm gonna be able to spell that name without checking one day), I read Bullet Points, which was superbly written. It's almost like a What If? limited series (which probably suits his writing a bit more since it's so less restrictive), where the bullet that assassinated the scientist who created the super-soldier serum was fired 24 hours earlier, killing him before he could administer the serum to Steve Rogers, and also killing a bodyguard by the name of Ben Parker. It raises some interesting questions, and the ripples effect everyone from Tony Stark to the Fantastic Four. The intros to each issue are extremely well done, and would work great on TV (although the possibility of that is beyond doubtful).

I started Planet Hulk, but to be honest Hulk's never really interested me, and neither have space stories, so I'm finding it a little dull so far.

Oh, and Irredeemable Ant-Man is possibly the funniest series Marvel have put out outside of Cable & Deadpool.

• 2 weeks later...

just got 'round to reading volume 3 of the boys. Funny as always (wagh mahhh hammmstergghh baaaacgh :laugh: ) and really teasing us with the various motivations and back stories (or lack of).

Has anyone read the latest Punisher max; girls in white dresses? Is it worth getting after Ennis' stellar run?

• 1 month later...

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me for any essential graphic novels that I haven't picked up yet (so no Preacher, 100 Bullets, Fables, Watchmen, V For Vendetta, Transmetropolitan, or whatnot). I'm really considering picking up a copy of Jack Of Fables if anyone can recommend that?

I was also considering Rising Stars or something with Deadpool...

Volume 0 is after them all but has no real connection with the main story.

Buy Cable and Deadpool, it is really funny and quite clever. I would also recommend Planetary. Warren Ellis book on a trio of heroes. It's kinda weird (and by kinda i mean very) but it is amazing read and makes you think too. May not have the laugh out loud moments of Transmetropolitan but still a great read.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading Counter X by Warren Ellis which was pretty good. Not brilliant but by no means offensive. Recently i've been re-reading my old comics and i love Punisher: Born. It is a true marvel of comic writing and beautifully drawn. Not your usual Punisher book but very compelling read.

• Paid Members
I've been reading Counter X by Warren Ellis which was pretty good. Not brilliant but by no means offensive. Recently i've been re-reading my old comics and i love Punisher: Born. It is a true marvel of comic writing and beautifully drawn. Not your usual Punisher book but very compelling read.

I love Punisher born also the way he deals with the guy trying to shut his base down is amazing.