The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

Does anyone have a copy of Hellblazer "Rake at the gates of hell" by Garth Ennis? It's been discontinued and I am desperate for a copy!

Well, I have the issues it collects as singles :p RE: That Batman: Confidential story...Yeah, it's not bad at all, but come on; what terrible timing! Everyone and their dog has just sat in a cinema and watched an incredibly well done rendition of what it might be like for the GCPD and Batman when the Joker gets arrested for the first time...Anything is going to look shoddy in comparison. Bonehead move.I'll be honest, Ennis' Punisher is the only time I'm ever remotely interested in the character. Be warned, there are an awful lot of really, really bad Punisher stories out there.It's a little pointless to complain about Ultimates messing around with classic versions of characters...The whole line is basically dedicated to reimagining classic heroes and villains (And in my opinion, taking most of their best qualities away) then making them fight each other for twenty pages. It was never my kind of thing, really.

It's a little pointless to complain about Ultimates messing around with classic versions of characters...The whole line is basically dedicated to reimagining classic heroes and villains (And in my opinion, taking most of their best qualities away) then making them fight each other for twenty pages. It was never my kind of thing, really.

I think it's sort-of inevitable you need to do stuff like this when the characters have been around for 40 years, it's a lot easier to tell the same story again in a modern style than it is to think up new stories. The X-Men had a whole new "here's the story from the beginning again" story some time in the 90s, which was exactly the same stories but with new art. Not saying it always works, but it's a decent attempt I think and the Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men have both been largely excellent. They hotshotted a few stories, I think (Beast dying, and Wolverine flipping on Cyclops) but it's been successful. I feel sorry for how badly Hulk has been bitched out in the Ultimate universe though.

• Paid Members

It's a little pointless to complain about Ultimates messing around with classic versions of characters...The whole line is basically dedicated to reimagining classic heroes and villains (And in my opinion, taking most of their best qualities away) then making them fight each other for twenty pages. It was never my kind of thing, really.

I think it's sort-of inevitable you need to do stuff like this when the characters have been around for 40 years, it's a lot easier to tell the same story again in a modern style than it is to think up new stories. The X-Men had a whole new "here's the story from the beginning again" story some time in the 90s, which was exactly the same stories but with new art. Not saying it always works, but it's a decent attempt I think and the Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men have both been largely excellent. They hotshotted a few stories, I think (Beast dying, and Wolverine flipping on Cyclops) but it's been successful. I feel sorry for how badly Hulk has been bitched out in the Ultimate universe though.
I personally don't regard turning superheroes into creatures so flawed that they're practically supervillains a "modern" way of telling a story, or even a "freshening up" of stale characters; it's incredibly unimaginative. Why the fuck does Hulk get turned into a cannibal? Giant Man isn't just a wife-beater, he's an inveterate coward (which, alright, is the hallmark of a wife-beater, but he's supposed to be a member of a combat unit).Sure, flesh them out, give them human flaws, make them real, but don't remove the entire reason why they're heroes as opposed to villains; use a bit of imagination to show WHY they circle dangerously close to criminality, but never cross the line.

Carbomb's kinda right. I didn't like the way how the Incredible Hulk is a maurauding murderer and Bruce Banner is some type of tormented weakling. The way they use it seems logical but then i've never really liked the Hulk. Giant man as a wife beater i liked because it was a bit out of left field, though i think they could have kept the story going on longer to give it more effect. I also have to say Captain America comes off as a bit of a prick in the Ultimates but in a good way (if there is such a thing) which seems like he is still struggling without the old school way of thinking.

I personally don't regard turning superheroes into creatures so flawed that they're practically supervillains a "modern" way of telling a story, or even a "freshening up" of stale characters; it's incredibly unimaginative. Why the fuck does Hulk get turned into a cannibal? Giant Man isn't just a wife-beater, he's an inveterate coward (which, alright, is the hallmark of a wife-beater, but he's supposed to be a member of a combat unit).Sure, flesh them out, give them human flaws, make them real, but don't remove the entire reason why they're heroes as opposed to villains; use a bit of imagination to show WHY they circle dangerously close to criminality, but never cross the line.

I

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone read the new Joker graphic novel out?

I bought it on Saturday, it's really fucking good. The Joker in this is undoubtedly the nastiest I've ever seen him before and I think this might even be better than The Killing Joke as that book makes him out as a character with a somewhat sympathetic side and you can understand his madness while in this...shit, there is no logic or sympathy to his actions. He's pure evil, madness and hate personified. The artwork is also really good and the book shows ways that Killer Croc, Penguin and Riddler could be incorporated realistically into Nolan's Batman movies if he wished. In short, it's a great book and in my opinion one of the classic Batman (though it's not really about Batman and he is barely featured) stories.

What's the new Joker book call? I didn't know there was a new one out.

I have read Moving Target in the Green Arrow series, and it is simply brilliant. The new AIDS powered Speedy seems like a good little character and the introduction of Brick is sublime. Menawhile, Arrow just being Arrow makes for an entertaining read. I'm also excited cause 2000AD have started a new story illustrated by one of my fav artists, Simon Davies called Ampney Crucis Investigates.

In some type of news Transmetropolitan is being re-released, or at least the first volume is, which might have screwed up my order for it :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

So what's your opinion on the death of Bruce Wayne? I was chatting about this with my housemate last night, and he was a fan of Superman when they killed him off in 1992, and said this reminds him a lot of that. They definitely killed him off then, cancelled the titles for a few months, then we know what happened after that. I said I thought DC were genuinely going to do it this time, and change the character for good, but he thinks not. So, tell me your opinions!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm on a real Ennis kick myself at the moment. Just finished reading Preacher, Chronicles of Wormwood and The Boys, and fuck me are they good. He never fails to completely hook me in the first 2-3 pages. It's the type of stuff that you can only see in comics. There's something just so deadpan about it that I don't think it would translate to screen at all, not to mention the amount of stuff that would be left on the cutting room floor.

Saying that I have read there's a film adaptation on The Boys in the works, but unless they get Simon Pegg I ain't interested. I'm guessing a lot of the Marvel/DC parodies will be forced out which will be a shame, but as long as Ennis is at the helm I'm sure he can write around it.

I'm trying to track down The Authority next. Anybody care to comment about how it measures up to his other work?

In the mean time I'll probably finally start on Nextwave and Fables......

Edited by CoreyVandal