The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members

I see Max Landis is writing a new mini series about a young Superman which might interest the guys on here who were sucking his dick over that wrestling video he did. It starts this week.

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/superman-american-alien-2015/superman-american-alien-1

Does anyone else on here read the Mike Allred Silver Surfer? I'm more of a DC guy but it's by far my favourite thing Marvel are putting out. I've always loved Allred's art too, it's the perfect title for him. I hope it and Batman '66 go on forever.

From what Landis has said about American Alien it's 7 short stories about how Kal-El became Clark Kent. Each story has a different artist and are based at different times in his life and how this alien gets his humanity and morals. It's certainly an interesting pitch, so I'm interested to see how it turns out.

• Paid Members

He can talk a good game. I watched his pitch for the Death of Superman and it was fun. I liked the wrestling thing he did but I've never seen / read any of his "proper" output. Is he any good?

The superhero film he wrote, Chronicle, was good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I think I'm done with physical graphic novels. I have OCD and I'm really struggling with touching them. As much as I'd prefer to beat it I've only managed to read one or two in the last year because of the OCD.

However I've just discovered digital comics with Comixology and the Google Play store. This was prompted by wanting to read Dark Knight III Master Race and having no intention of buying single issues again.

I am over the moon. Why I didn't think of it before I'll never know. Bing you pays your money you gets your comic on your tablet instantly. No waiting around for amazon to deliver anymore and in some cases at a FRACTION of the price...

Dark Knight Strikes Again £4.99 - Comixology

Dark Knight III Master Race Book One £3.99 - Comixology

Dark Knight Returns £2.10 - Google Play

Daredevil Born Again £2.98 - Google Play

The Walking Dead Vol 1 Day's Gone By £1.82 - Google Play

Batman The Long Halloween £4.82 - Google Play

Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe 56p - Google Play

I've read a bunch of them before but at those prices I couldn't say no.

Know one I hadn't read was Dark Knight Strikes Again which I've just polished off. It's no where near as good as Dark Knight Returns and at times its a downright mess. But its not all bad at the same time. I wouldn't recommend it but it's worth a read at the same time if you know what I mean. I think it really goes off a cliff in the third book.

Dark Knight III Master Race feels like a good taster. Don't really want to say anymore.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

Do you know about Marvel Unlimited, Def? $9.99 (so about £7 with various bank charges) a month and you've got access to around 13,000 comics with more being added all the time. I only found out about it a week ago and I've more than got my moneys worth. I've read Thor: Goddess of Thunder, Fall of The Hulks, World War Hulks, half the Marvel Zombies series, and I'm just getting stuck into the Dark Reign crossover, which is the point where I gave up trying to follow, and pay for, all the different books ages ago. All in all I'd say I've read at least fifty quids worth of comics so far.

• Paid Members

Wow, no was not aware of Marvel Unlimited in the slightest. Cheers for that. Sounds awesome. Do you get to download to your device? It's not a deal breaker but would be useful.

EDIT - Just got the App. Awesome selection. I'm well up for this. Shame DC don't do the same. Does it update with all their new monthlys?

Edited by DEF

Wow, no was not aware of Marvel Unlimited in the slightest. Cheers for that. Sounds awesome. Do you get to download to your device? It's not a deal breaker but would be useful.

EDIT - Just got the App. Awesome selection. I'm well up for this. Shame DC don't do the same. Does it update with all their new monthlys?

I believe it's a bit behind isn't it?  So you can't pay that monthly fee and gte the latest comics on release day.  Kind of like how WWE Network doesn't have Raw for like 2-3 weeks until after it's aired

• Paid Members

Yeah I read up on it. It's about 6 months behind I think. Not a problem for me in the slightest but its good to know. Also you can only download any 12 comics to your device at one time.

• Paid Members

Question for anyone that has read Civil War. Due to Marvel Unlimited's shear awesomeness I can read all 101 issues that make the entire arc for all the different titles. Is that a good idea in this case or should I just stick to the actual Civil War books?

It's a big undertaking but if it's the better way to read it I'd prefer it.

• Paid Members

Question for anyone that has read Civil War. Due to Marvel Unlimited's shear awesomeness I can read all 101 issues that make the entire arc for all the different titles. Is that a good idea in this case or should I just stick to the actual Civil War books?

It's a big undertaking but if it's the better way to read it I'd prefer it.

Comixology do the same thing. I read the entire "Blackest Night" series that DC did across all titles - both DC and the Comixology app provided a chronological list of all the issues you could read to keep up with it.

I'd certainly recommend doing it - it's not always the case, but sometimes you can miss out on vital storyline developments just by not reading the odd issue.