The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members

Hey everyone, bit of a bump here but looking for some advice. I've recently started wanting to get into Batman comics. The only comic I've ever read is The Walking Dead, but having recently ploughed through Arkham Asylum, Arkham City and now playing Arkham Knight, I've wanted to go and read a bit more about these characters.

I've heard stuff like "The Killing Joke" and "Long Halloween" are great reading. What would be a good jumping off point for a new reader? I don't really want to go all the way back to 1939 and start from issue one, unless I really have to.

Also, if someone could explain how the comics work, are they all one big continuation since issue one? Or have they been rebooted several times since then?

Thanks for any advice.

The whole DC Universe was rebooted just a couple of years ago in what is referred to as The New 52 but yes, there were various character-specific reboots before then.

The story arcs from Batman have been collected in graphic novels. Have a look for Court of Owls and Death in the Family.

Recommend you taking a look at these threads and this forum in general if you haven't found it already. Helped me loads!

http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?52361-Batman-FAQ-Best-Comics-for-New-Readers-Batman-v-Superman-Current-Titles-amp-Recent-Events

And...

http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?7016-Batman-Trades-Poll-Year-Four&p=210249#post210249

Basically an intro of where to start with Batman comics which includes present and historical information and then the second link is a list of what's considered to be the best Batman trade paperbacks of all time.

People have already mentioned about Dark Knight Returns and Year One so I'll leave those but Excellent shout by Bellend with Venom, a great book.

Earth One - is a good reimaging of the origin story

The Black Mirror - written by Scott Snyder who has taken the bulk of the Batman writing since the New52 relaunch

Knightfall is an epic story arc and serves as the introduction of Bane into the Batman universe

The Long Halloween is a great story as is it's follow up Dark Victory

If you like the games, there is an Arkham City book by Paul Dini (who wrote on the Batman Animated Series in the 90s) which bridges the gap between the Asylum and City games and actually a pretty good read in it's own right.

Does anyone know when the new Frank Miller Dark Knight III arc is to hit the shops?

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

That's him. The "Tell him, Steve Dave!" guy, who drools and laughs through his nose.

I just quite liked the Kevin Smith humour in Cacaphony.

Smith briefly touched on reading more Deadpool as he "may or may not" have been tapped to pen a Deadpool arc, so I'd look forward - or not - to that. 

Yeah, I fucking hated Knightfall. Some nice imagery that stays with you, but it was horrendously boring on the whole. I only gave it one chance, so maybe I should try give it another belt, but unless I leave the novel in the room where I shite, then I can't see myself ever opening it again.