The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

On 1/4/2019 at 11:04 AM, tiger_rick said:

After listening to The Totally Football Show pod recently, I picked up the "reboot" of Roy of the Rovers last week. I really enjoyed it. It looks great, as you'd expect, but they've really thought about the story and how to stay true to some of the elements of the past, which they do through some characters and rivalries, while putting a modern spin on it. It's as ridiculous as it should be but has an element of reality with Roy being a part carer for his Dad who has had a stroke and is in a wheelchair. Some lovely dry humour too. Only cost £4 but then only took about half an hour to read through.

image.thumb.png.5d7d789b1d9bafe68aa2c26c34bf35e8.png

I had no idea such a thing existed. I must have one.

• Paid Members

Has anyone else got into the relaunched Shonen Jump Weekly app? It's crazy good.

Basically, they've made the weekly comic anthology digital only and free (to compete with online scans). For £2 a month, you get a shit-load of their archive as well, with a whole load of complete runs. I've liked some manga, but never read it that regularly. I subscribed when it launched last month, and I'm reading my way through My Hero Academia, Blue Exorcist and Dr Stone for starters. If I hadn't already read Death Note, I'd be on that too.

I really hope it's working financially for them - it's a bold business model, but really deserves to work out.

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

Has anyone else got into the relaunched Shonen Jump Weekly app? It's crazy good.

Basically, they've made the weekly comic anthology digital only and free (to compete with online scans). For £2 a month, you get a shit-load of their archive as well, with a whole load of complete runs. I've liked some manga, but never read it that regularly. I subscribed when it launched last month, and I'm reading my way through My Hero Academia, Blue Exorcist and Dr Stone for starters. If I hadn't already read Death Note, I'd be on that too.

I really hope it's working financially for them - it's a bold business model, but really deserves to work out.

Give The Promised Neverland a go if you get the time, that's some good stuff from the small amount I've got through so far. It's suprisingly dark too.
I'm guessing they've had to change things up as most people read manga for free online, the whole idea of paying for digital copies never caught on.

• Paid Members

The new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen continues to be class, and a brilliant meta-narrative about the history of British comics. This one manages to have a mock "Girl's Weekly" cover, a couple of pages of a public school romp, a photo-comic, a Victorian picture-book, and 3D glasses. 

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

Have you read Black Dossier? That also had 3D glasses and it worked really well - one particular highlight was a portal which showed two different dimensions. You could see one by closing one eye and one by closing the other. It also had Jeeves and Wooster fighting Cthulhu, so it's just generally great.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Have you read Black Dossier? That also had 3D glasses and it worked really well - one particular highlight was a portal which showed two different dimensions. You could see one by closing one eye and one by closing the other. It also had Jeeves and Wooster fighting Cthulhu, so it's just generally great.

I have, yeah. Forked out a decent chunk of change for it.

League is probably my favourite or second favourite comic series, with only Sandman potentially beating it, and one of my favourite aspects of it is the way it incorporates so many literary styles and illusions, and the current series being specifically focused on British comics is very much in my wheelhouse.

Black Dossier is an extraordinary piece of work for how well it manages to stitch together all these disparate influences and points of reference, and create a functioning world out of them. Jess Nevins used to do annotations for each League book, trying to explain/source each reference, and for the world map in the Black Dossier, the page is headed, "In which Alan Moore attempts to kill me", it's that densely packed with references.

• Paid Members

I read those Nevins books as well - a lot of fun. What did you think of Mike Carey's Lucifer series? I was (and am) a huge Sandman fan, to the point where my final theatre project at Uni was an adaptation of a Sandman story crossed with King Lear, but I've ended up finding Lucifer has aged better overall. 

• Paid Members

I haven't really delved into Lucifer or Constantine - I only really know Constantine through his appearances in Swamp Thing. Sandman was what really got me reading graphic novels, though - I'd read X-Men and Spider-Man as a kid, and was probably around 12/13 when I read "A Game Of You", and was just blown away by what was possible in comic books. 

I'm not a big comic reader these days, but can't possibly not read new Alan Moore.