The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I love the depth of the Sandman/Lucifer/Constantine/Swamp Thing world; it's DC, but only tangentially, really. They all tie together beautifully.

One weird almost-connection to Preacher exists as well - Constantine deals with an Angel/Demon who fall in love with each other and have a hybrid offspring. I always wondered if it was originally meant to be the same story as Preacher's 'parents', and got changed for some reason.

2 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I love Constantine, The Hellblazer series is my absolute favourite (up to the Azarello run which was terrible and not sure what Milligan was playing at either) They really need to reposition him back with Vertigo, all the new stuff is pants (yes i said pants)

I actually really liked the Azarello run. It's about the time I started reading it regularly. What I mostly liked about it was that it was stories about John, but not really from his point of view. So while we're usually getting a lot of his thoughts, we're just seeing who he is removed from it... and he's a creepy little bastard. Added a lot of mystery to him, I thought, and made him much more sinister, which I really liked.

2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I haven't really delved into Lucifer or Constantine - I only really know Constantine through his appearances in Swamp Thing. Sandman was what really got me reading graphic novels, though - I'd read X-Men and Spider-Man as a kid, and was probably around 12/13 when I read "A Game Of You", and was just blown away by what was possible in comic books. 

I'm not a big comic reader these days, but can't possibly not read new Alan Moore.

Carey's Lucifer is genuinely worth your time. It goes a very different direction to Sandman, rather than trying to just do more of the same. I absolutely loved it.

I actually really liked the Azarello run. It's about the time I started reading it regularly. What I mostly liked about it was that it was stories about John, but not really from his point of view. So while we're usually getting a lot of his thoughts, we're just seeing who he is removed from it... and he's a creepy little bastard. Added a lot of mystery to him, I thought, and made him much more sinister, which I really liked.

I respectfully disagree. I thought he got the character totally wrong, and John's dialogue had that awful 'American-trying-to-write-cockney' feel to it. Plus the whole him watching someone fuck a dog is where I lost interest.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Factotum said:

I respectfully disagree. I thought he got the character totally wrong, and John's dialogue had that awful 'American-trying-to-write-cockney' feel to it. Plus the whole him watching someone fuck a dog is where I lost interest.

I may well have felt differently if I were more connected to the character when I read it. But one of the things I liked about the run was the idea of 'this is how John comes across to people he's totally different from' - so even the dialogue kind of worked for me. 'Freezes Over', in particular, I loved.

That said, I can't watch the Constantine film for pretty much the same reason - I hated the take on the character so much. Even though I know people whose opinion I trust who say it's genuinely a lot of fun, it's just too far from how I see the character. If I'd been more in that place when I read Azzarrello's run, I might agree with you more.

I really liked the Constantine TV series and I know he turned back up in one of the other DC shows. I  just can't get into any of the DC series. I just about struggled through the first season of Arrow, but it was too fucking long. Now the shows are all interlinked, there's no chance of me getting through them.

• Paid Members

I love Legends of Tomorrow since Constantine went full time. It's brilliant. I was gutted when the Constantine series got cancelled and his appearances on Arrow was not what it could have been but since bringing him into Legends it's been tremendous.

Re the first season of Arrow Rey. It's cack. The show runners were determined to make the OC and practically refused to lean into the source material. Eventually though they realised people don't want the OC, they want comic book superhero shit. By the time they get to The Flash they have their shit together. I mean it's got King Shark in. KING SHARK!

Yeah he's the best thing about Legends. I only watched it because of him. Matt Ryan is a great John and the show was pretty fun BUT on a network that had Hannibal on, they really could have upped the gore and horror with it. Also, set it in London. John works best on home turf.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Yeah he's the best thing about Legends. I only watched it because of him. Matt Ryan is a great John and the show was pretty fun BUT on a network that had Hannibal on, they really could have upped the gore and horror with it. Also, set it in London. John works best on home turf.

Yeah but that wouldn't have been in line with the feel of Legends. I'm biased because this way I can watch it with my daughter. I'd love them to bring back his show proper though. It's great how Matt and the powers that be have committed to not letting go of Matt as Constantine. He IS Constantine to me now.

• Paid Members
Just now, Rey_Piste said:

Is Legends of Tomorrow interlinked with Flash, Arrow and Supergirl etc?

Yep. I've only got so far with Arrow (up to season 4), but 

Ray Palmer/The Atom starts off in Arrow, and becomes one of the main guys in Legends Of Tomorrow. I can't remember exactly, because Amazon Prime have a tendency to include Flash episodes in Arrow series listings when they cross over, but I think The Flash's origin episode was in Arrow, and they've had a few cross-overs since, so it'd be fair to assume he appears in LoT too.

Don't know about Supergirl, but I think it's very unlikely that it wouldn't be in the same universe.

The only DC series I'm not sure about being connected to the others is Black Lightning, but I haven't seen season 2 yet.

14 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Yep. I've only got so far with Arrow (up to season 4), but 

Reveal hidden contents

Ray Palmer/The Atom starts off in Arrow, and becomes one of the main guys in Legends Of Tomorrow. I can't remember exactly, because Amazon Prime have a tendency to include Flash episodes in Arrow series listings when they cross over, but I think The Flash's origin episode was in Arrow, and they've had a few cross-overs since, so it'd be fair to assume he appears in LoT too.

If it's just characters origin stories, then that doesn't really matter too much to me. I meant more is there a story where you have to watch a bunch of episodes of other shows to get the whole story. 

One of my peeves with predominantly superhero comics are crossover story archs,  where you will need to buy at least 4 different issues to get everything and I certainly don't want that with 45 minute long episodes.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

If it's just characters origin stories, then that doesn't really matter too much to me. I meant more is there a story where you have to watch a bunch of episodes of other shows to get the whole story. 

One of my peeves with predominantly superhero comics are crossover story archs,  where you will need to buy at least 4 different issues to get everything and I certainly don't want that with 45 minute long episodes.

The way they've structured the cross-overs, they're not too intrusive - the little "Previously on..." catch-ups at the beginning will usually fill in all the salient gaps. For a fastidious, FOMO-driven completist like myself, it's almost a must, but for anyone else it should be fine. I only recently got the first two seasons of The Flash on DVD (haven't watched them yet), but I didn't feel an urgent need to watch it after I saw the Arrow/Flash cross-over episodes.

Edited by Carbomb

Don't know about Supergirl, but I think it's very unlikely that it wouldn't be in the same universe.

They are in a different Universe, but Flash has crossed over. Superman also exists in Supergirl's world. They use the multiverse quite well in the DC TV shows.

• Paid Members

Re Supergirl I believe the show runner changed for season 2 which is when it was brought over to the CW network. It was then that they brought it over to the Arrowverse for cross overs.

IMO both Supergirl, Arrow and Legends all have pretty rubbish first seasons. (Arrow criminally bad, the rest watchable) They all only get good when they really settle into it. It's only really Flash they nail off the bat.

Most of the characters all originally spin out of Arrow & Flash in Legends but I really don't think you would have to watch them to follow. Like Carbomb I couldn't not watch it all but I'm a completest type.

• 3 weeks later...