The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members
On 6/3/2019 at 4:34 PM, Accident Prone said:

Fucking hell, that's an incredible haul @Bellenda Carlisle. How did you get the price so low? Was it parents getting rid of their kid's old stuff or was it a newly divorced wife binning all her ex-husbands gear?

It was a really nice young Mediterranean couple, they had no idea what the books were, they wanted a quid each and offered that stack for 20, they seemed happy with the 20 so I wasbt going to say it would probably cost £300 to buy that lot from a comic shop. For some reason I get the feeling it was from a housemate who fucked off and left them with his collection or something. Whoever it was they definitely had decent taste.

It was great because most people think their old comics are worth millions. The amount of creased, pissed stained shit 90s spiderman and Wildcats comics I see at second hand shops and the like for 3 quid each is hilarious, they'd be in the 25p bin at a comic convention but idiots think they're sitting on a goldmine.

• Paid Members

I've been taking a trip down memory lane recently. Deep diving on all the old Spiderman I read as a kid and a smidge of the neee. I started reading Spider-Man back between the age of 10 and 13 but pretty much stopped dead there. DC brought me back to comics in my mid 20s but I pretty much haven't touched Spidey since despite him being my childhood go to.

So far I've read TPBs of,

Kraven's Last Hunt

Birth of Venom

Venom Lethal Protector

Crime and Punishment

The Complete Clone Saga Epic Vol 1

Superior Carnage

Venomverse

I'm currently a few books into The Complete Clone Saga Epic Vol 2. The clone saga was pretty much where my run on Spidey first time round really took off.

I remember hearing people hated it back in the day but I couldn't get enough as kid. Reading it back now I can totally see where the hate comes from. Some of it is shockingly badly written. Not to mention really really miserable.

Still though it's fun to read it back. I've already got volume 3 as it was cheap the other day on Comixology. Also finally got Maximum Carnage. A book I was desperate to read as a kid but could never afford. I expect I'll crack on with that after vol 3 of clone saga.

Hopefully when Far From Home comes out there will be an uber sale on Comixology and I can get my hands on everything under the sun. I don't really remember reading much Mysterio outside the sinister six despite loving the character from the cartoon.

Any recommendations would be more than welcome particularly regarding Mysterio but really any must reads would be great. I've yet delve into Miles Morales properly but I think I may save him until I'm done with the old school stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
14 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

The Walking Dead is randomly coming to an end with Issue 193 this Wednesday.

What the fuck? Is this out of nowhere? I read the tpbs but I'm only about halfway through No 25. So I don't really look into it online because of spoilers.

36 minutes ago, DEF said:

What the fuck? Is this out of nowhere? I read the tpbs but I'm only about halfway through No 25. So I don't really look into it online because of spoilers.

Yep, completely out of the blue, was leaked yesterday that this will be the last issue.

I could see them bringing it back at some point though.

• Awards Moderator
37 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

MAD magazine is shutting down after 67 years. So gutted, it was a huge part of my life as a kid and influenced me loads.

I was just coming to post the same thing. I had a huge stack of these when I was about 10 through to early teens. I didn't understand most of the references but the way they phrased things really stuck with me. Those movie parodies were so tortured but I read all of 'em.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the first issue of the new X-MEN relaunch/event, House of X.

As the start of a new status quo it's brilliant and manages to be completely fresh and entirely consistent with it's own history.

I haven't bought a big 2 comic in over 6 years, but the X-Men are what got me into comics, I love them and I really like Jonathan Hickman's writing. 

It's well worth a look.

• Paid Members

If you're a Costco member, they're selling some Marvel Platinum Collection paperbacks for a tenner each in store. I picked up Spider Man, Venom, X-Men (includes the Dark Phoenixx storyline) and The Avengers yesterday during our monthly shop. Bit of a bargain.

• 2 weeks later...

It's getting to the point where I have to start selling shit for money. How easy is it to sell comic books?

I've got completed runs of punisher max, cable from 2007+ and Deadpool along with numerous one shots all bagged and boarded. It's something I don't really want to do but I haven't read an actual comic for years.

Any advice greatly appreciated.