The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members

Yeah, Moore basically restarted the character. Up until him, the idea had been that the man had been turned into the monster and was trying to find out a way to be turned back. In one issue, Moore totally up-ends that, and entirely rewrites the character. It's an astonishing reinvention, and one of the most influential runs on comics ever.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

My best mate has asked for a Batman graphic novel of my choice for Christmas. However he's got all the classics and I've not read anything after the New 52 run. Any of you read anything recent you would deem outstanding?

• Paid Members

Batman: White Knight comes to mind for me. Released 2017-18 and is 8 issues. Written and drawn by Sean Phillips and its gorgeous to look at.

The basic premise is Joker becomes sane. Its a stand alone but does have 1 spin off finished and another one just being released. Would highly recommend. If I remember correctly you can get a deluxe edition now if you want spend a bit extra. 

d72f1588980dcf769d4c8d71ba82d906f116.jpg

Edited by ElCece

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Similar to the above posts, I'm looking at getting a couple of mates some graphic novels as Christmas presents.  Any recommendations? One of them I quite like a non-superhero graphic novel but they are both fans of most stuff. 

• Paid Members

Can anyone recommend a decent Ebay alternative for selling graphic novels and TBPs? I'm looking at selling a large bulk of my collection soon, but I've always been stung by Ebay fees, Paypal fees and under-estimating the postage costs. Looking at doing job lots a so I'm bound to be fucked over somewhere down the line, but eBay has buyer/seller protection so it does have that going for it.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Wideload90 said:

I've got Christmas spends and want to invest in some graphic novels. I've not collected anything for years now and an wondering if people have read and would recommend civil war 2 and the marvel rebooted Star Wars series?

Open to suggestions - Fan of Batman, Cable, Wolverine, Punisher...

TIA

Civil War 2 was not well received and was criticised for giving characters unbelievable motivations and taking non-sensical actions. I read the whole thing as it was published but had to look it up just now to remind myself of what it was all about. You can do much better. 

I've not read much of the rebooted Star Wars stuff except Doctor Aphra, which I've thoroughly enjoyed. She's basically an amoral Indiana Jones in space- even more than Han already is. It features characters who are essentially evil versions of R2 and C3PO who regularly steal the show. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, agreed - there wasn't a bad idea in the middle of Civil War 2, but it wasn't a massively satisfying one at the time. I didn't read much of the new Star Wars stuff either - the Darth Vader series had some good points though.

Recently, it's not necessarily been a great time for any of the ones you mentioned, @Wideload90. House of X (the X-Men reboot) has some good stuff, although Wolverine isn't in it much. The Death of Wolverine and the Return were both rather meh. While I really (REALLY) liked Tom King's run on Batman, there's a lot of it and it's slow-moving. 

Based on some of the stuff you like, you might like the recent reboot of The Immortal Hulk. It's one of the best thing Marvel have put out in a while, It's dark, violent and grotesque, but also pretty smart, and keeps subverting expectations. I wasn't expecting to like it at all, but it's superb.

• Paid Members

I would have to agree with @LazyMcLopezand @Chris B that Civil War 2 is difficult to recommend. Not offensively bad but I found it underwhelming considering an interesting premise.

Of the characters you've mentioned I can't say I've noiticed and standouts in recent years (depends how far back you go). Although I enjoyed Tom Kings run it has lulls. I find the Cold Days story arcs one of my favourite Batman stories ever for the exploration of Batman and Bruce Wayne. 

Going back to a recommendation I gave above my favourite Batman I've read recently is Batman: White Knight. Although that is a stand alone and non-traditonal.

Immortal Hulk is a very good recommendation . Probably the strongest ongoing of the last 2 years, lovely unique feel that moves at a nice pace. I've also really enjoyed Donny Cates current run on Venom but I know the character can be marmite. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, ElCece said:

Going back to a recommendation I gave above my favourite Batman I've read recently is Batman: White Knight. Although that is a stand alone and non-traditonal.

Off the back of your recommendation I picked this up for myself. Really enjoyable. It took me a little to get into it. Maybe because Bats iis deliberately kept at arms length but it comes together really nicely.

Also checked out Batman Noel which I read with my daughter and bought for my mate for Christmas. Brilliant stuff. I think I'm going to try and read it with her every year in the build up to Christmas.