The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Chris B said:

Heads-up for any comixology users - they've massively upped their prices this week.

Basically, they've brought the UK prices closer to being in-line with US prices. Except they've gone even further, and gone on the basis that £1 = $1. A $4.99 comic was, before, £2.50 - £2.99. It's going to be $4.99 from here on. This means that a digital comic will now cost more to buy than a printed comic sent to the UK. This is nonsense, and seems like really bad form. Even worse, they've just rolled it out without any warning or real explanation.

It looks like this is an Amazon thing rather than a Comixology thing - which does flag up issues with near-monopolies. It's going to lead to an increase in pirating (which will hurt creators), although hopefully it'll also lead to more people trying legal alternatives for other comics like ComicHaus and Shonen Jump.

For more, this article is a pretty good basic explanation:

https://www.foxspirit.co.uk/not-the-fox-news-66-gradient/

Ouch. I buy sale items regularly and looks like they have been boosted too. I'll take a punt on anything at 2.99 but 5.99 not so much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Civil War is mostly self-contained - it was one of the first crossovers to keep the main story separate, and tie into spin-offs which fleshed stuff out, so it's choppy, but straightforward. Captain America: Winter Soldier Ultimate is fairly self-contained too. At the very least, what's going on elsewhere should be fairly light-touch.

Fantastic Four, Captain Marvel and Black Panther are all soft relaunches, so shouldn't need much introduction.

Avengers vs X-Men has a LOT going on, but it's the entire main storyline. It's out there, and there are a LOT of characters, but it's fun. A few years'-worth of X-Men stories came out of it. And Dark Phoenix Saga is THE original crossover. Bit overrated, but solid enough. It'd make a fun pairing with Avengers vs X-Men.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

After a bit of help, lads.

So I dropped out of keeping up with Batman right after the last New 52 TPB hit the shelves. That was quite a few years ago and I wanted to save some cash (to buy other comics).

Anyway, I lucked into a massive eBay bargain last week that I couldn't resist; all the up-to-date TPBs of Batman and Detective Comics in the Rebirth series. It also came with a Flash/Batman hardcover and a Detective Comics 1000th issue TPB, as well as this giant Green Lantern Omnibus called 'Blackest Night'. (Oh, BTW, this didn't have a dust jacket so if anyone knows where I can get one please hit me up!).

My question is; what order do I read these in and what additional trades do I need so I'm not lost? I assumed I could just read Batman/Flash and then read one volume of Batman and Detective Comics in alternating order, but according to forum posts that I've read it isn't that simple. So there's something to do with the Watchmen that I need to read apparently beforehand and a DC Rebirth omnibus, and then the whole series continues afterwards with Dark Knights: Metal and Last Knight on Earth? And where does this Green Lantern omnibus come into play?

DC isn't the most straight forward at times with making it easy to keep up so I'm at a bit of a loss here. I just want to jump into Batman/Flash and then carry on with the books but I don't want to be constantly confused and googling stuff to comprehend what's happened previously.

Any help would be appreciated (and help on that dust jacket too!).

I’m pretty new to graphic novels, but I’m finding them a great help to cope with lockdown. For whatever reason I’m finding it much harder to concentrate on books.

I’ve read Watchmen and V for Vendetta, both of which I loved, and I’m part way through From Hell which I’m also enjoying. 

Clearly I’ve gone for some obvious choices early on, but given my love of Alan Moore, what/who would you recommend I try next? 

40 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I’m pretty new to graphic novels, but I’m finding them a great help to cope with lockdown. For whatever reason I’m finding it much harder to concentrate on books.

I’ve read Watchmen and V for Vendetta, both of which I loved, and I’m part way through From Hell which I’m also enjoying. 

Clearly I’ve gone for some obvious choices early on, but given my love of Alan Moore, what/who would you recommend I try next? 

There's a recent comic called Gideon Falls you might like, a dark, Twin Peaks/True Detective like story. It's still not finished yet but it's excellent and is getting a TV adaptation at some point.

If you wanna go with a cult British comic then Strangehaven is ace.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

It looks like you are avoiding the straight up super hero genre. Sticking with Alan Moore (who admittedly I'm not his biggest fan) his Swamp thing run is good.

Is there something specifically that grabs you about what you've read so far?

4 minutes ago, ElCece said:

It looks like you are avoiding the straight up super hero genre. Sticking with Alan Moore (who admittedly I'm not his biggest fan) his Swamp thing run is good.

Is there something specifically that grabs you about what you've read so far?

The characters are fantastically written, and Moore does a tremendous job of sucking you into the bleak worlds he’s created. 

The other thing that appeals t me is that fact the books were one-and-done. I did take a look at Swamp Thing, but it’s hard to know what to read and it also seems expensive to read it from beginning to end.

That has put me off the superhero genre more than anything else, they seem to span multiple, expensive books. I like a beginning, a middle and an end. Although I certainly wouldn’t rule out reading that genre.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, RedRooster said:

The characters are fantastically written, and Moore does a tremendous job of sucking you into the bleak worlds he’s created. 

The other thing that appeals t me is that fact the books were one-and-done. I did take a look at Swamp Thing, but it’s hard to know what to read and it also seems expensive to read it from beginning to end.

That has put me off the superhero genre more than anything else, they seem to span multiple, expensive books. I like a beginning, a middle and an end. Although I certainly wouldn’t rule out reading that genre.

Sound like strong character work that is self contained and preferably not huge? 

I am far from the best at giving recommendations but what popped into my head if you are willing to try slightly newer "different" stuff 

I Kill Giants, Roughneck, Private Eye, Lazarus and if you are willing to consider something longer Scalped.