The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

The most recent posts in the What Play You thread about a backlog of unread books made me want to talk about my pile of unread comics. Iā€™m embarrassed by the sheer volume of issues I have (comic issues, not personal issuesā€¦though I have many of those too), bagged and boarded and hideously unread. Some going back to 2019. Iā€™m in the process of trying to sell a small portion of my collection, and just seeing titles I bought years ago and thinking ā€œah feck, Iā€™ve never even opened the cover on this oneā€ is depressing. I realise that I will never reach a point where I am fully up to date because those damn comic companies insist on releasing new ones every week. Take 6 months off so I can catch up please.Ā 

Anyone else in a similar boat? Comic hoarders, unite.Ā 

32 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

The most recent posts in the What Play You thread about a backlog of unread books made me want to talk about my pile of unread comics. Iā€™m embarrassed by the sheer volume of issues I have (comic issues, not personal issuesā€¦though I have many of those too), bagged and boarded and hideously unread. Some going back to 2019. Iā€™m in the process of trying to sell a small portion of my collection, and just seeing titles I bought years ago and thinking ā€œah feck, Iā€™ve never even opened the cover on this oneā€ is depressing. I realise that I will never reach a point where I am fully up to date because those damn comic companies insist on releasing new ones every week. Take 6 months off so I can catch up please.Ā 

Won't surprise anyone but yes me! Or at least it used to be. I loved my weekly delivery of comics. I loved my collection of nicely boarded comics. Then I realised it was a terrible idea because I'd need every spin off and additional one for each major event and it all went a little teeny tiny bit crazy. Plus I was worried about ruining them so never actually read them much either.

I moved house early last year and we had to be pretty brutal with the choices of what came with us and sadly those went as did most of my hardback graphic novels. If I had the room then I'd absolutely still have them. I miss having subscriptions and no I do not enjoy the digital versions as much. Same with books. I can't put that stuff on a shelf just like I can't enjoy that nice book smell.

I'm currently on volume 26 of Berserk and it's one of the best so far, it never really dipped but this one really kicks things off again with some of Miura's best art yet and great character development for a couple of my faves. You can also tell he really enjoyed drawing a certain member of the God Hand...

Spoilers but also nsfw.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Ā 

6 hours ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

I'm currently working my way through the last 15 issues of Moon Knight, then I've a spin off to read too. After that I've a similar amount of issues of Thor. They're the only two superhero titles that I pick up monthly. So yeah, I can relate!Ā 

Picked up the first issue of the new Thundercats reboot at the weekend, itā€™s a pretty good start, basically a loose retelling of the first episode of the original cartoon but without Snarf (yet). All the main crew get updated looks, the funniest being Tygraā€™s fur branching out like a handlebar moustache and they encounter Slithe for the first timeĀ 

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Picked up the first issue of the new Thundercats reboot at the weekend, itā€™s a pretty good start, basically a loose retelling of the first episode of the original cartoon but without Snarf (yet). All the main crew get updated looks, the funniest being Tygraā€™s fur branching out like a handlebar moustache and they encounter Slithe for the first timeĀ 

I was a little disappointed by issue 1. The interior art is trash and the story was only OK. Comparing it to the recent Transformers reboot it's not in the same sport let alone league. However it did mange to get me hooked enough to grab issue 2. Tygra's bizarre mustache doesn't annoy me as much as alot of people mind you.

• Paid Members

I joined a new library yesterday and ended up borrowing 5 graphic novels: Batpig: Go Pig Or Go Home (a charming thing for kids with a little silliness running through it), Superman & The Authority (it's good that Grant Morrison has written it, and it has an interesting premise), and what I'm hoping is the three Spider-Verse collected volumes. It's reminded me that I still have a fair few to read on my phone/tablet as well as I picked up some Annhilators books.Ā 

• Paid Members

The original run ofĀ The Authority started well and went to shit pretty quickly, but I'm hoping Grant Morrison has worked their usual magic with this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I went absolutely ham on the Comixology Originals on Prime recently.

They've curated a really solid line of mini series. My favourite is a series called Barnstormers. It's written by Scott Snyder and is a take on Bonny and Clyde but with stunt flyers. The art is so beautiful that I'm tempted to get the physical book.

Otherwise, I've got all the Energon relaunch stuff. It's all very good if not majorly decompressed, but that's modern comics for you.

• Paid Members

Beneath The Trees Where Nobody Sees #4 came out yesterday and it's still looking like the book of the year. Wonderful stuff.Ā 

Also Cobra Commander #3 came out which was better than #2. It's good fun but maybe my least favourite of the Energon Universe so far.

Transformers is far and away the best of the bunch but then it is Daniel Warren Johnson who can do no wrong in my eyes.

• Paid Members
On 3/8/2024 at 10:16 AM, Carbomb said:

The original run ofĀ The Authority started well and went to shit pretty quickly, but I'm hoping Grant Morrison has worked their usual magic with this one.

I loved the first Authority run. Once Grant Morrison left it was just diminishing returns, though.Ā 

I saw this month's comics bundle is an ass load of Spawn and other image comics for Ā£15.77. There are 43 books there? It's pretty spanking good value.Ā 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

I saw this month's comics bundle is an ass load of Spawn and other image comics for Ā£15.77. There are 43 books there? It's pretty spanking good value.Ā 

It includes the Sam and Twitch stuff by Bendis, which is really fun.