The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

On 12/28/2020 at 10:37 AM, LazyMcLopez said:

Civil War 2 was not well received and was criticised for giving characters unbelievable motivations and taking non-sensical actions. I read the whole thing as it was published but had to look it up just now to remind myself of what it was all about. You can do much better. 

I've not read much of the rebooted Star Wars stuff except Doctor Aphra, which I've thoroughly enjoyed. She's basically an amoral Indiana Jones in space- even more than Han already is. It features characters who are essentially evil versions of R2 and C3PO who regularly steal the show. 

What really pissed me off with Civil War 2 is, unlike the first civil war, there was a disagreement between two super hero factions which had a really easy middle ground compromise that seemingly never occured to anyone.

The premise is that there is a inhuman who can (seemingly) accurately predict the future to a near 100% accuracy. Captain Marvel wants to take his prediction at 100% face value (e.g. arrest an alledged Hydra sleeper agent for a crime purely because this mutant saw a vision of it happening), whilst Iron Man does not want the future to be so written and believes that a prediction is merely a prediction, regardless the high likelihood of success. 

At no point does someone suggest "well if the inhuman says 'X' is going to happen, let's take it as a warning and investigate it". Like if he points at someone and says they are a hydra sleeper agent and is about to commit crime, just investigate it within the confines of the law. There's a easy middle ground. Iron Man's stance is paticularly weak as the whole series opens up with the heroes using this inhuman's predictions to save the earth from invading demons, and prevent Thanos from acquiring a cosmic cube.

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

I've got big into collecting comics again recently and I'm loving it. Mainly still reading digitally but I'm also collecting physical books again. Love the covers.

Just in case anyone else is interested. I've just found out that Image have a digital humble bundle of their 90s titles for the 30th anniversary.

The first 20 volumes of Spawn tpbs. Along with a ton of Savage Dragon, Witchblade, Shadowhawk, The Darkness, Cyber Force, Battle Chasers and Astro City.

Image Humble Bundle

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Picked up the complete 70s Howard The Duck run on Kindle earlier this month, as well as the complete Champions (what a strange team they were). There are some interesting villains in that Howard Book. The Champions feels like some kind of "creative has nothing for you" angle with its line-up. It's an even more unusual lineup than the original Defenders. We've got Black Widow, Hercules, Ghost Rider, Angel, Iceman and Darkstar. 

• Paid Members

My girlfriend and I have recently binged the first two series of the Harley Quinn animated TV show on Amazon Prime Video and she now wants to read some graphic novels.

Does Harley have the same kind of character in the comics? And if so, what books would be good ones for her to start with?

• Paid Members

I remember borrowing the first volume (2017's Hot In The City) from the library. It felt like they were trying to jump on a certain "zany" bandwagon as it came out around the same time as some of Marvel's more self-aware series like the absolute glut of Deadpool spin-offs, Gwenpool, The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, and the Chip Zdarsky Howard The Duck run.

There were fourth wall breaking asides, zany antics, teasing that she and Poison Ivy were more than friends. It never felt like it went anywhere, but over the last 5 years things may have changed, and I see there's a comic book based on the animated series out now. 

Did anyone ever read the little cult 90's British comic Strangehaven? I love it and I've noticed that there's been a big surge in popularity for it due to some two hour YouTube video.

Are there any other similar comics I should be looking out for, the more independent the better.

• 6 months later...
  • Paid Members

Thought I'd give this a quick shout out. Easily the best new comic I've read this year. Do A Powerbomb does a better job of selling pro wrestling than most pro wrestling. It's superb. The art is fantastic and makes the action pop off the page.

Screenshot_20221120-205039.png

21 hours ago, DEF said:

Thought I'd give this a quick shout out. Easily the best new comic I've read this year. Do A Powerbomb does a better job of selling pro wrestling than most pro wrestling. It's superb. The art is fantastic and makes the action pop off the page.

Screenshot_20221120-205039.png

Will give that a go. I tried Ringside a few years back but gave up after about 6 or 7 issues. The artwork was pretty awful and the story wasn’t particularly great either

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

Where would I be able to pick up the IDW Transformers Shattered Glass TPB?

It seems to be unavailable on Amazon and eBay. The ISBN is 978-1684059027.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

1 hour ago, BigJag said:

Where would I be able to pick up the IDW Transformers Shattered Glass TPB?

It seems to be unavailable on Amazon and eBay. The ISBN is 978-1684059027.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

https://glowreads.com/product/transformers-shattered-glass/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAnrOtBhDIARIsAFsSe51fReqjadN0ZLkqU7hboLDKEy1eLoOhH_CfwvHov5Qz_caq5EoeoZIaAtT9EALw_wcB

If you don’t mind shipping from America.

Edit: it says their head office is in London though. The dollar price threw me. Who knows.

Edited by Dr. Alan Grant
Dollareedoo.

• Paid Members

So the trouble is IDW don't have the licence for Transformers anymore so they are all OOP. The current publisher Skybound have said they will be releasing the IDW run in the future but they haven't started yet.

• Paid Members

Cheers. I wouldn't mind a secondhand copy. I'll have to keep an eye out in the usual places. The link from @Dr. Alan Grant is working out a bit too expensive.

With it being OOP. Would it have been pulled off the shelves? Is there much of a chance that I may find it on the shelves at Forbidden Planet?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Cheers. I wouldn't mind a secondhand copy. I'll have to keep an eye out in the usual places. The link from @Dr. Alan Grant is working out a bit too expensive.

With it being OOP. Would it have been pulled off the shelves? Is there much of a chance that I may find it on the shelves at Forbidden Planet?

I don't think it will be pulled off shelves if trades work the same as regular comics. The stores out right buy them and can't return them. Now it's been a minute so they may well of all sold out but it's worth a look.