The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

Just got the first volume of Ed Pisker's X-MEN: Grand Design.

It's a really good comic, condensing the X-Men story from Xavier and Magneto's origin and the 60's comics into one cohesive narrative. 

The main takeaway from it for me is the format. It's only available as an oversized, Prestige Edition and it really enhances the experience. The art has more room to breath and they even use a paper stock that looks and feel like an aged 60's comic. It did cost £27 though and is only the first of 3 volumes. 

Maybe just one for X-Men nerds or pretentious wankers, which is fortunate for me as I'm a bit of both.

• Paid Members

Comic book adjacent, but Neil Gaiman is on 6Music's Paperback Writers this weekend, apparently as part of a graphic novels special, so expect Sandman talk, and Alan Moore is standing in for Iggy Pop this evening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
56 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Can anyone recommend me some Spider-Man to read. Me & the wife have recently watched all of the MCU films and I really enjoyed both Homecoming and Far From Home and it’s made me want to read some Spidey

Kravens last hunt is a great read but not necessarily something I would suggest to someone who hadn't read spidey.

Noone else dies does a great job of summarising Spidey and his motives. Spiderman Blue is a lovely retelling of his origin. One of my personal favourites that I don't hear others mentioning was the Gauntlet.

Edited by ElCece

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Rey_Piste said:

I found a market stall in Hereford that has some lovely old comics in great nick. I ended up buying 3 Dark Horse Aliens comics from the early 90s. Aliens: Genocide. (Dark Horse Comics 91-92) https://imgur.com/gallery/9v8EdFQ

Lovely finds mate, one of my favourite things to do is to pop into a couple local charity shops that are known for comics and sifting for personal gems. I would of been delighted with those Alien comics.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Heads-up for any comixology users - they've massively upped their prices this week.

Basically, they've brought the UK prices closer to being in-line with US prices. Except they've gone even further, and gone on the basis that £1 = $1. A $4.99 comic was, before, £2.50 - £2.99. It's going to be $4.99 from here on. This means that a digital comic will now cost more to buy than a printed comic sent to the UK. This is nonsense, and seems like really bad form. Even worse, they've just rolled it out without any warning or real explanation.

It looks like this is an Amazon thing rather than a Comixology thing - which does flag up issues with near-monopolies. It's going to lead to an increase in pirating (which will hurt creators), although hopefully it'll also lead to more people trying legal alternatives for other comics like ComicHaus and Shonen Jump.

For more, this article is a pretty good basic explanation:

https://www.foxspirit.co.uk/not-the-fox-news-66-gradient/

Edited by Chris B

Just on the off chance someone is in the know:

I was a huge New Warriors fan some years ago, partly due to the theme, (kids in trouble/overcoming adversity) and partly because Speedball is my favorite character. I've just popped into a newly-opened comic shop nearby, grabbed a NW and Speedball is no longer to be seen. What happened to him?

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, ThumpSquids said:

Just on the off chance someone is in the know:

I was a huge New Warriors fan some years ago, partly due to the theme, (kids in trouble/overcoming adversity) and partly because Speedball is my favorite character. I've just popped into a newly-opened comic shop nearby, grabbed a NW and Speedball is no longer to be seen. What happened to him?

He became 'Penance' following a tragedy where the New Warriors engaged a guy called Nitro, and 612 people died. He created this new suit, with 612 spikes. All the spikes are also inwards as well, since his new powers are pain-based. He also became a self-harmer later, in order to build up more power. I am not kidding.

Penancetbolts.PNG

He's recently reverted to Speedball and the New Warriors returned.

13 minutes ago, Chris B said:

He became 'Penance' following a tragedy where the New Warriors engaged a guy called Nitro, and 612 people died. He created this new suit, with 612 spikes. All the spikes are also inwards as well, since his new powers are pain-based. He also became a self-harmer later, in order to build up more power. I am not kidding.

Penancetbolts.PNG

He's recently reverted to Speedball and the New Warriors returned.

Yikes! Thanks loads fella. All very kinky, but quite interesting. I'll do some more digging. I'm still hoping the proposed NW TV series will appear. Thanks again!