The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

The Vision (2015) by Tom King is a 12 issue standalone series which I can't recommend highly enough.

The Unbelievable Gwenpool (2016) is a bit longer but can be enjoyed in isolation and is far better than it had any right to be given its LOL-Deadpool-origins. 

I'm struggling to think of anything too Garth Ennis-y that I've read but if you've got any time for Warren Ellis, he did a 6 issue standalone series called Karnak, which I really enjoyed and which I don't think needs any prior knowledge going in. 

EDIT: The original run of Exiles from 2001 might be worth a go. It's like a Marvel Comics version of the old Sliders tv series with a team of heroes hopping dimensions and having no impact or interaction with the main continuity. As a result it's quite free and easy with offing characters left, right and centre. 

Edited by LazyMcLopez

Thanks, guys. I'm fine with something being a long run, just not with it needing a million issues of foreknowledge. Gonna give all of the above a go!

Are the Ultimate series' all standalone (or at least in their own universe away from the non-Ultimate series)/any good?

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Stuff that you could treat like starting a new series on Netflix, rather than starting to watch Eastenders and having to ask your nan who everyone is. Or rather, stuff that you could treat like the first Guardians of the Galaxy film rather than Avengers Endgame.

Considering this is what almost everyone wants from comics it's ridiculous how inaccessible it can be even for pretty experienced readers. I read nearly the entire new 52 but a couple of years later I'd struggle to know what to do with any DC comic currently out.

• Paid Members

If it were me I'd go with one of the big events but use Marvel Universe preferred reading list and read them in order. For instance I hadn't read Marvel since I was kid and couple of years ago I read Civil War on MU all 100+ issues and it didn't matter that I hadn't the foggiest about previous continuity as it was all building the story at hand. I mean I'm sure there was some stuff but it would only be small flippant things. Certainly didn't affect the narrative. It also gave me a bit of background on nearly every Marvel character. Where as a kid I was a Spiderman guy with a working knowledge of X-Men.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Are the Ultimate series' all standalone (or at least in their own universe away from the non-Ultimate series)/any good?

I haven't read many others, but I can say I think The Ultimates (the Ultimate universe version of the Avengers) is shite. I'm all for storylines where they de-construct superheroes to show how they can be flawed human beings, but it's another thing to make them so bad they might as well be villains.

It's written by Mark Millar, though, which explains it all. Aside from Red Sun, and the first couple of volumes of The Authority, I can't say I've ever enjoyed anything he's written.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Picked up the latest League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, thinking it was the last ever, turns out there's one more to come, so this issue very much felt like everything building to a big climax. I have no idea how they can end this story satisfactorily, but I'm looking forward to it.

More importantly, there's a panel stuffed with Viz cameos.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Picked up the latest League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, thinking it was the last ever, turns out there's one more to come, so this issue very much felt like everything building to a big climax. I have no idea how they can end this story satisfactorily, but I'm looking forward to it.

More importantly, there's a panel stuffed with Viz cameos.

Is it still drawn by Kevin O"Neill? Love that mad bastard.

• Paid Members

Their last book together or are they having a suicide pact or something?

You probably already know this but I love Kev O'Neill and I don't get to talk about him much; His art was viewed as offensive by the comics code authority not because of any specific content but just because his style is so grotesque it was deemed unsuitable for children. 

14 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

You probably already know this but I love Kev O'Neill and I don't get to talk about him much; His art was viewed as offensive by the comics code authority not because of any specific content but just because his style is so grotesque it was deemed unsuitable for children. 

Have you seen the new Image comic Little Bird? I think you'd dig Ian Bertram's art in it. I find myself going over each panel multiple times looking for things as it's so well done.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Their last comic full stop, as far as I'm aware - Alan Moore is retiring from comics, planning to focus on films (and presumably impenetrable over-long novels), and Top Shelf have said Kevin will be retiring as well, so I assume that he will finish up after this series too.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Factotum said:

Moore will be back. I love him but he seems to say he's quitting every 2 years.

True, but I kind of believe him this time around. He did that "Jimmy's End" film a few years back, and has said he wants to focus more on film work now, and I assume after "Jerusalem" he's probably eyeing up another book idea. Once he's tied up League, I can't really see there being anything else in comics that he would come back for.

• Paid Members

'Jimmy's End' was one of three short films, which work together to form a whole narrative called 'Show Pieces' - it's slow, ponderous and hit-and-miss, but really interesting in a 'Twin Peaks: The Return' kind of way. It's available on Shudder (which I learnt just after watching the box-set). He's also putting together either a TV series or a movie (reports differ) called 'The Show' based on it. 

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1017093-alan-moore-the-show-offers-a-first-look

He appears to be trying to become Northampton's David Lynch. which was kind of inevitable.

• Paid Members

Ah, Showpieces, that's it, I couldn't remember the name of the whole thing. I backed it on Kickstarter, have the fancy boxset, and thought it was interesting but a bit naff/obvious. I like Alan in it as the washed up double act entertainer/God, though.