The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members

Just wanted to make sure I didn't give away the whole thing, so better to err on the side of caution.

And it's a reason if you read the original post I was responding to, which is the reason I posted that quote. This story arc has been going for some time now; DC has had two reboots within a few years, and the implication was that the events of Flashpoint were artificially instigated by the meddling with reality of a powerful being. Dr. Manhattan is the only being powerful enough to do that. Basically, this development was several years in the making.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Ah ok, I'm with you now. Still sounds to me like the kind of convoluted bollocks that put me off reading long running superhero titles.

I think it depends on how well it's executed. Stuff like Doom Patrol, Preacher, Watchmen, Swamp Thing, Sandman, Lucifer, Hellblazer, et al. are pretty complex and convoluted stuff, but they're so well written, it doesn't impact one's enjoyment. Conversely, whilst I enjoyed Blackest Night, the following Brightest Day has become a bit of a chore; I'm a fan of Green Lantern and the whole Spectrum thing, but even I can't muster up the interest to continue with it, and I'm about as dogged a completist as you'll ever meet.

• Paid Members

I just have no interest in Watchmen without Alan Moore attached, it just feels like inviting writers to completely miss the point. Never read any of the Before Watchmen stuff either. Maybe it's because Moore's so grumpy about it, but I don't really have this relationship with any other writer - comic books are built on new writers taking over old writers' characters, and I don't complain about new writers taking over X-Men, for example, but with Alan Moore, I'd rather it just be left alone. Though, thinking about it, given how DC Comics treated the creators of Batman and Superman, my indignation could do with being wider spread.

Ā 

I read the new graphic novel "biography" of Nick Cave recently. A bit patchy in places, but conceptually a lot of fun.

• 1 month later...

It's set in an alternate 1992, 7 years after the events of Watchmen which itself was set in an alternate 1985 (not the one that Biff ruled) in which America won the Vietnam War, so I'd say read that at the very least if you haven't already. I don't think you will have needed to have read the Before Watchmen series, as they were prequels to flesh outĀ backstory of the characters

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Oh yeah I'm well versed in the original Watchmen. Should have mentioned that.Ā  Never got round to Before Watchman. I was more thinking the Rebirth DC universe and how that fits in. I've read the first rebirth book that kicks it off and have the first 2 Batman tpbs unread but thats about it.

• 1 month later...

TTG's Charity DC Quiz

24th February 2018

Gledhow Sports and Social Club, Leeds,Ā LS8 1NQ

Ā£2 per person to enter and to win prizes at the event and a raffle.Ā 

All questions will be based on the DCĀ universe, from Comics, TV series

https://www.facebook.com/events/1433207360068279/?active_tab=about

Ā 

Hosting the event and will be doing photosĀ will be members of Team Arrow UK

Ā 

The charity TTG are donating to is Zantestrays

https://www.facebook.com/Zante-Strays-1422178701142543/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01/13/tom-king-announces-sanctuary-dc/

Tom King announces a new DC idea; "Sanctuary" a place where superheroes can go to help them work through their personalĀ problemsĀ like mental health (mainly based aroundĀ the fact that they live such intensely violent lives and beat people up every day.) It sounds like it could be interesting if done well by really good writers and artists but if done badly it will be horrible.Ā 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Hey guys I have a question that maybe you can help me with.

My sister's kids want to read a/some comic books for the first time. They are 4 years old. They're familiar with the big name super heroes and I guess would like to read some stories that involve them - Captain America, Iron Man, Batman, Superman, Spiderman.

Any recommendations for something that will be a good entry point for them?

• Paid Members

Sorry, Chest, I can't help as I don't really read Superhero stuff.Ā 

Reason for my post is to say I picked up the first SandmanĀ TPB, Lucifer TPB and Fables TPB 2. Sandman is great. And from what I read, this first TPB is like the weakest of them all. I continue to enjoy Fables a lot. Lucifer is a bit meh so far but still not bad. I doubt I'll pick up any more Lucifer TPB until I've finished Sandman and Fables.Ā