Croaking it 2024

Gus Mears

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Merzbow said:

And Wayne Kramer from MC5, fuck sake.

Ā 

Fuck sake indeed. Discovering MC5 when I was 17/18 was a pivotal moment for me in my music journey. Truly a random find of "High Time" on CD in Sister Ray on Berwick St and bought it because it "looked cool", had no idea who they were and this was in the days before pulling out your phone and googling it. Luckily I went with High Time because IMHO it is he best album they ever did. The explosion of songs on it blew my mind and then finding out their sordid and fucked up history added to the mythos. It was insane to me that seemingly no-one knew of this band and I tried my hardest to get as much info on them as I could - the excitement I had when I finally got to watch "MC5: A True Testimonial" was insane, literally invited my mate over for a viewing party as there was no footage and barely any information about the band.

Wayne Kramer's book was wild and not going to claim "what a great bloke" but fuck me if that band wasn't massively influential for many and in my own life.

Ā 

20 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Glenn Ponder from Glenn Ponder & Chalet/Debonair/Ferrari etc passed away a couple of days ago. I didn't realise he was the dad of stand up Alfie Brown.

Ā 

He had a genuinely great secret career in comedy. Terrible son mind.

Just seen that Ian Lavender from Dad's Army & Michael Jayston from Doctor Who have passed away.

Michael I remember was in an episode of Only Fools and Horses as Raquels dad James.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by LSM

• Paid Members

I liked Jayston in the originalĀ Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, SpyĀ - he had one of those really distinctive, solid, stern British voices - the kind that you could imagine doing special news reports in the 80s or adverts for Comet.

• Paid Members

I was just in the middle of writing a post in the TIL thread about the Dad's Army cast and their respective ages, and Googled Ian Lavender to see that and had to check. Surreal.Ā 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I liked Jayston in the originalĀ Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, SpyĀ - he had one of those really distinctive, solid, stern British voices

He was the voice of every John LeCarre audiobook I've listened to.Ā  The perfect narrator for a Cold War thriller.