Croaking it 2024

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Merzbow said:

That's not a proper chippy, they've got a kebab thing right there. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I think it may have been @BomberPat who said one of the best things Albini did was realising how awful the edgelord stuff he was involved with was, and his encouragement for others to move away from it. 

Yeah, I think he's one of very few people of his generation to have seriously reckoned with the culture of the time and his part in it, explained why it was the way it was, but also fully accepting why they were mistaken. And he seemingly never did it out of a need for forgiveness or acceptance, just because he recognised it was the right thing to do. It shouldn't stand out as much as it does, but given so many people of his generation have just doubled down on "no, it's the children who are wrong", it stands out.

I found myself being a lot more upset by hearing of Albini's death than I probably would have thought. He had a hand in so much music that I love, and that shaped my tastes, and whether it's playing a bunch of Big Black and Rapeman records when I was working in a record shop, seeing Shellac live and meeting him at merch tables, or going back as far as first hearing In Utero, he was just ever-present. I even recently had a brief exchange with him on Bluesky, when Steve Harley died, discussing how he was so much more than a one hit wonder, and that kind of thing stands out when I think of Albini on social media.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I think it may have been @BomberPat who said one of the best things Albini did was realising how awful the edgelord stuff he was involved with was, and his encouragement for others to move away from it. 

I just saw this on twitter which made feel a bit sick. Is this what you were referring to or is this something else? https://medium.com/@MoonMetropolis/now-that-steve-albini-is-dead-lets-reflect-on-his-admitted-love-and-promotion-of-child-fadf5072288e

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I just saw this on twitter which made feel a bit sick. Is this what you were referring to or is this something else? https://medium.com/@MoonMetropolis/now-that-steve-albini-is-dead-lets-reflect-on-his-admitted-love-and-promotion-of-child-fadf5072288e

Yeah that’s the sort of thing. He apologised for stuff like that essentially saying it was all shit banter. When you were in bands called Rapeman and Run Nigger Run (who had a song called Pray I Don’t Kill You Faggot), you just hope they end up regretting it. Not sure if it was him or another member but they all seem to class it as their biggest mistake and like a tattoo that seemed a good idea at the time. 

• Paid Members

I won’t lie, as someone who didn’t know about him at all and looked him up after seeing all the glowing tributes in here, I can’t say he came across as the nicest of people to put it lightly. I can’t see the X thread but if it’s the same article he wrote that came up on Reddit about how he’d love to sexually assault 12 year olds then it was pretty grim stuff.

I’m not going to go all Lance Storm about it but I can certainly see why he wouldn’t be missed.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Feel pretty sick reading that tbh. Struggling to to find any way to read that as jokes or banter the way he's said it. Absolutely foul.

He can recant it all he wants (well not anymore he can't, lol) but I'll continue to believe it was his genuinely held feelings on the matter.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Feel pretty sick reading that tbh. Struggling to to find any way to read that as jokes or banter the way he's said it. Absolutely foul.

He can recant it all he wants (well not anymore he can't, lol) but I'll continue to believe it was his genuinely held feelings on the matter.

Yeah it’s quite funny how that whole alternative edgelord culture of the time were so keen to court offence and try and out do each other while moaning that people are too easily offended and you can’t say anything in case a minority gets upset. Most people I knew like that grew out of it but some sure haven’t. 

Large sections of supposedly alternative and anti mainstream subcultures are so massively conservative. 

Posted (edited)

werent you tagging threads with 'BUMMERS' jokes a few weeks ago

EDIT - looking at the rest of thst Substack writers web presence and it's wall to wall transphobic shite. Well done, everyone.

Edited by Cannibal Man

Eric “E.T.” Thorngren died too. He was legendary in studio engineering and mixing. Did loads with Talking Heads, Robert Palmer and did some early Grandmaster Flash stuff. 

19 minutes ago, Cannibal Man said:

EDIT - looking at the rest of thst Substack writers web presence and it's wall to wall transphobic shite

Substack is notorious for this to be honest, it's why a load of people left it about a year ago.

7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Credit to you for flagging this up. That's the first time I've seen that and it's horrific. I'm all for people having the opportunity to learn from their mistakes and his attempt at accountability appeared to me to be a convincing one. There is a line though, and what you've shared, along with a couple of other bits and pieces I've seen today have been a bit of a rabbit hole. Difficult to say this, but warm words aren't sitting right with me at the moment. 

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

15 hours ago, Cannibal Man said:

werent you tagging threads with 'BUMMERS' jokes a few weeks ago

EDIT - looking at the rest of thst Substack writers web presence and it's wall to wall transphobic shite. Well done, everyone.

Not going to remove the link because this doesn't make the content necessarily any less true, but this is what Cannibal Man is referring to with the less-than-savory character of the author:

I'm not personally aware of any other articles floating around covering this but if you're discussing this elsewhere you might want to find a different source to share.

Edited by Chest Rockwell