Croaking it 2024

Gus Mears

9 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Great character actor who was always good value in whatever he popped up in. I always immediately flash to Blood Simple, for whatever reason. Might give it a re-watch soon. 

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

I always immediately flash to Blood Simple, for whatever reason. Might give it a re-watch soon. 

Probably because it really was his best role and performance.

I love the guy, one of Hollywood's greatest ever character actors and one of my favourite actors of all time. One of those faces that became instantly familiar when I started to get interested in cinema in my late teens and he's just been there in so many films I've seen since. Look down his career and it's amazing how many classics and under-appreciated gems he popped up in, and that he himself was under-appreciated in all of them.

Like I say, Blood Simple stands out, the Coens' bleakest film, too. Obviously there's Blade Runner but it's so difficult to narrow down his best roles/performances because he was so prolific. He was a cracking comedy actor, too, he had really good range - hilarious in The Jerk and as Machine Shop Ear-Bender in Raising Arizona.

Really sad news but he'll always be one of my all-time favourites. Him and JT, the Magnificent Walshes.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Actor Joe Flaherty, who I best knew as the dad in Freaks & Geeks and as the heckler in Happy Gilmore, has died aged 82.

https://www.tvinsider.com/1129950/joe-flaherty-dead-tributes-sctv-freaks-and-geeks/

It's amazing how he made such a small role so memorable.

Every so often, my sister and I have a pattern where, if either of us does something stupid, the other will say "Ya djack'ass!" the way he did. Or, if we're trying to do something difficult, the other will say "You WILL NOT [insert action here]...ya djack'ass!"