Croaking it 2024

Gus Mears

3 hours ago, deathrey said:

A very sad loss, he seemed like such a lovely bloke. His enthusiasm was contagious and he and Simon were such a wonderful duo and had a such a great dynamic, genuinely seemed like the best of friends. He will be very missed

We watched the Route 66 tour they did every night and even our then 11yr old who hates cooking and travel programmes was into it and loved it. 

I love programmes like theirs where you can clearly see them having a great time and loving trying new dishes and cultures but much more genuine that quite a lot of other TV chefs.

Akira Toriyama, the creator of Dragon Ball has passed away at 68.

This one hurts, I've spent literal days upon days watching his shows since I was a teenager first catching DBZ on Cartoon Network.

• Paid Members

I was never a DBZ guy, it just never clicked with me, but his artwork on Dragon Quest is utterly iconic and basically codified that look for a million JRPGs that followed - can't really imagine what that genre looks like without him.

Cult Americana singer and songwriter Malcolm Holcombe at 68.

Never achieved much in the way of fame but was a favourite of the likes of Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Iris Dement and others. Very much a songwriter's songwriter with a distinctive style and sound. 

Had been in ill health for a while, having battle cancer - yet managed to fight it off long enough to release his last album a couple of years ago. 

Here's a great one from his 2017 record Come Hell or High Water (with Dement accompanying him on harmony). 

Edited by SaitoRyo
Holcombe. With an E.

Was also never big on World Party, but I love The Waterboys, especially the 80s stuff and Wallinger's fingerprints are all over the This is the Seas record. 

He did the synthesizers on Whole of the Moon and the piano on the title track. Those contributions really help make those songs what they are. He also co-wrote Don't Bang the Drum. 

RIP. 

World Party were great, and of course they wrote Robbie Williams' greatest hit.  They're also one of those bands with loads of interesting connections around the music industry.

Particularly loved this track -